thread: Dinner with friends

Jan 2010

Leave it, including the drinks.

Mar 2009
    England (but moving back home to Oz next year!)

Unless they told you to take the food home, then I would leave it as well.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Yep always leave it. Maybe maybe take it depending on the drink but definitely not the chips!
    Last edited by PumpkinZulu; August 11th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

food- definately leave it. Depends on the drinks. I would ask the host if they wanted it.
    The only exception being one time at playgroup, I took a savoury and a sweet "plate" and told the tea last that I would take home what ever wasnt used so she didn't throw it out. There was HEAPS. Turns out everyone ate it all because heaps of people turned up that week!

May 2005
    Canberra

If its unopened I often take it -unless its food I wouldn't or don't want to eat at home. Food and drink both. Opened stuff I usually leave unless requested.

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Food - LEAVE IT.

Drink - depends if it's premixed stuff that you know the other person doesn't drink etc. Beer - leave. Wine - leave. Southern Comfort - take home People always take their premixed sugary rubbish home from our place as DH won't drink it.

Although - I went to a lovely BB lady's house and after some people were unable to make it, it turned out she had a lot of food left over. She insisted i take it home - and to be honest it felt weird, but completely made sense - you can only have so many muffins/cupcakes/slices at home!!!

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Although - I went to a lovely BB lady's house and after some people were unable to make it, it turned out she had a lot of food left over. She insisted i take it home - and to be honest it felt weird, but completely made sense - you can only have so many muffins/cupcakes/slices at home!!!
    I think when it is a bring a plate scenario and there is definite excess it nice then to take something different home to what you brought.

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

With our friends we work it that if you bring a bottle of wine you share it throughout the night or otherwise it's a "gift" to the host. Beer is taken home as everyone usually brings an esky, same with wine.

Food we leave unless it's insisted we take it home or the leftovers are shared.

Feb 2005
    NSW/VIC Border

Never been to friends home for dinner (god, that make me look like a loser) but if I did, I would leave it

Jan 2011

I ALWAYS leave it! Once I was at a baby shower where everyone bought a plate, and this woman left early so she went to the buffet and started packing up the leftovers of what she had brought to share, while people were standing there still picking!
    Oh my goodness how awkward! What was she thinking??

Mar 2006

I'm another that leaves it. i will do anything to leave it! I will swap it into friends dishes if it is something I've brought in a dish - just so I can take my dish home...but I leave the food!

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

Leave food unless we're asked to take it home again - and when we have people over, we generally suggest they take anything back with them cos we either won't eat it or we have over catered and have other left overs to deal with. I'm someone that will send a plate of leftovers with a friend if they're over for a meal (do it all the time with mum and with one of my friends who is a single mum with a kidlet that won't eat much in terms of variety!)

drinks - depends on the situation - if they get put in a fridge, we tend to leave them unless asked to take them - if they're in our esky/drinks bag, we take them home.

DH has a friend that habitually turns up with six beers, drinks 10, then moves on to DH's top shelf stuff, and NEVER brings anything else - drives me nuts! on the odd occassion he brings more beer than he drinks (VERY rare), i won't remind him there is anything left in the fridge, but i check with everyone else - so it really does depend on the situation/relationship

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Leave food unless we're asked to take it home again - and when we have people over, we generally suggest they take anything back with them cos we either won't eat it or we have over catered and have other left overs to deal with. I'm someone that will send a plate of leftovers with a friend if they're over for a meal (do it all the time with mum and with one of my friends who is a single mum with a kidlet that won't eat much in terms of variety!)

drinks - depends on the situation - if they get put in a fridge, we tend to leave them unless asked to take them - if they're in our esky/drinks bag, we take them home.

Yep, what BG said

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

food leave it. especially if it was something like chips. often I've taken something like cake or someone had brought it to my place and they (or I, if it's at my house) will offer some to take home with them.

drinks - depends what it is. wine pretty much will always leave and same with beer, spirits/pre-mix it would depend.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 2008

Yep, what BG said

Yep What BG and RhiChiChi said

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

Okay cool. Feeling less like an old fuddy duddy now

We're always the hosts. That's fine, it's easy because we have kids and it means we can put them to bed without fuss. We've never been invited to their place. Both DH and I just found it really odd that they took the food back. Drinks I have no real issue with - we don't drink what they do.

Thanks for the responses. I was curious as to whether it was the done thing or not.

Add TeniBear on Facebook Follow TeniBear On Twitter

Oct 2009
    Lalor, VIC

I'll be the first to disagree then If I've brought something over and it hasn't been touched, of course I'd take it home. If its been opened, I'd ask if the host wanted me to take it or not, but untouched it's still mine! Obviously no-one wants it, so why leave it when I can take it home where it'll definitely be eaten? If I was the host I'd think it weird and a little rude that the visitor expects me to deal with it, but I can see I'm wrong in thinking that

----------------------------------
    So, it has come to this.

May 2010
    victoria

I'll be the first to disagree then If I've brought something over and it hasn't been touched, of course I'd take it home. If its been opened, I'd ask if the host wanted me to take it or not, but untouched it's still mine! Obviously no-one wants it, so why leave it when I can take it home where it'll definitely be eaten? If I was the host I'd think it weird and a little rude that the visitor expects me to deal with it, but I can see I'm wrong in thinking that

----------------------------------
    So, it has come to this.
    I completely agree with you. If its unopened, i'll take it home and eat it myself lol. If i had friends over and they left their unopened nibbles, i find it weird and make a point to try and return it to them. Idk it makes me feel weird in the sense that i didnt pay for it, even though i've fed everyone i dont expect anything in return like that lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2