Thread: Ideas for 40th b'day gift ? ... for my friend i've known for 20yrs : )

smiles4u Guest

Question Ideas for 40th b'day gift ? ... for my friend i've known for 20yrs : )

Hi all,

My girlfriend turns 40 in a few weeks and oddly enough i suddenly remember only last night that i promised her a similiar gift idea as i gave her DH when he turned 40 a couple of years ago - It was box that i labelled on the front lid TIMECAPSULE 1968 with all things that were of that year he was born. She loved it that much i hinted i "might" do the same for her when she turned 40 but the thing is it took me a good two months to get her DH bits & pieces together as i found most of them on eBay when i searched the year, etc for them ...

So what do you think ?? ... Do you reckon i can pull it off and have a TIMECAPSULE ready for her in time for her birthday party that's on the 14th Aug

And those of you born 1970 too can you give me any ideas of what you would love in your timecapsule if it were your's ??

TIA for any hints & tips

(P.S - did i mention amongst her DH's timecapsule items was a vintage Playboy mag published the week my friends hubby was born, he said it was the best b'day gift ever and he couldn't stop laughing, ... well he's filthy minded like me, ROFL )

That is the best idea Smiles. I reckon if anyone could pull it off you could

For Christmas one year I got a CD of songs from the year I was born. I love it.

The CD I got is called: 1975 Where Were You?

smiles4u Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    The CD I got is called: 1975 Where Were You?
    ... oh YES i remember seeing those a couple of years ago, OMG i will try get a 1970 one for sure ... thanks heaps Tinks

You can also do google searches of things that were around the week she was born. Her local paper (from where she was born) should have the front page on microfyshe and you should be able to get a copy of it (heck if her parents did a birth notice even find that).

What an amazingly awesome idea Smiles4U! I guess lots of searching on the internet...music, things in the news, toy of the year, fashion, food, ummmm, let me keep thinking....australian womens weekly....

Did I say what a great idea it was?

x L

What an awesome idea.... There is a website where you can get the paper from the day they were born... DP's cousin got one for MIL's 60th, it comes in like a big album thing.. let me see if i can get the details.. you might just be able to get the front cover or a page that would interest her!

Awesome idea! I was born 1971 and DP is 1969 so we are fairly close to 1970. Some things that a friend got for DP was a 1969 Boy's Own book, a 1969 tea-towel, a 1969 footy record, a toy VW combi van.... however I'm guessing your firend wouldn't want these

They have some retro barbie dolls in toy shops at the moment although I think the Malibu barbie is 1971. There is a site called gifted memories which sells cd's and dvd's from the year you were born.

smiles4u Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Zarava Flutterby ~ View Post
    What an awesome idea.... There is a website where you can get the paper from the day they were born... DP's cousin got one for MIL's 60th, it comes in like a big album thing.. let me see if i can get the details.. you might just be able to get the front cover or a page that would interest her!
    ... ZF would you believe my DP got me one for my 40th birthday and i got one for Dad on his 70th, it's was pricey about $180 (that's a newspaper of your request if avaialble, i got the Melb herald newspaper, of the day you where born in unused prestige condition in a beautiful binded folder for life keeping) ... it's an absolutely awesome gift isn't it ZF

Nai would you believe i saw a kids book annual 1971 in an OP shop today, if i see it there next time i go again i'm gonna get it for you as Miss G might like to read it (not sure what was in it or what condition it was in, might have been TV characters or something as the front cover character looked familiar - it was a yellow (??) dog with long shaggy hair and button eyes !! ... Nai harr harr i had a matchbox combi my Nan bought me in 1970, i remember it was silver

magic roundabout? I think the idea of the time capsule is awesome. I saw in the Card Cage a few months ago that they had cards for each year and things that were popular/in fashion for that year.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles4u View Post
    ... ZF would you believe my DP got me one for my 40th birthday and i got one for Dad on his 70th, it's was pricey about $180 (that's a newspaper of your request if avaialble, i got the Melb herald newspaper, of the day you where born in unused prestige condition in a beautiful binded folder for life keeping) ... it's an absolutely awesome gift isn't it ZF
    It is an awesome idea... how cool you have one.
    My DP is 30 next year and i am wondering what to get him, maybe i could do a time capsule with things he likes, anythign AC/DC, football related etc.. he's not one for knick knacks and a major PITA to buy for... great idea though.