Thread: BCP Query?

Default BCP Query?

Hi, I just wanted to ask a question of all the ladies who have been through IVF cycles. Did you always have to spend a few weeks on the birth control pill first? I've been through three IVF cycles so far and have had to go on the pill for each initially BUT it doesn't agree with me at all and is almost the worst stage for me when going through a full IVF procedure!!! (Laparoscopic egg pick up is the worst!!!). If I could get out of having to take it I would do it in a second! It's funny that I don't recall it being so bad when I was taking it in my 20's!

So I just wondered if anyone has actually been through an IVF cycle where they didn't have to go on the BCP? Or is it a must!

Thanks,
    Marg

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Marg,

I've never been on BCP for any of my cycles. I don't know if this is coz I have zero chance of falling pg naturally, or whether it was coz they used Lucrin to suppress follicle growth. But I've never taken it, ever. HTH.

Hi Marg

I've been on OCP since the end of Jan, starting Synarel April 10. I HATE IT!!!!! It makes me grumpy, pimly and puffy. It gives me MAJOR hot flushes and I can't sleep very well. And I can't wear my contact lenses. From what I can work out from the nurse, it's to base line my hormones, since I've come straight from 6 rounds of Clomid so the hormones when I start will; get sucked up really quickly!!

I'm on Microgynon 30, what are you on?

Hi Marg, sounds awful. Have you told the clinic.
    I never had to go on BCP, but did once when my body stopped cycling after a m/c.
    It wasn't a requirement.

Take care

Hi Marg,

I've done 4 IVF full stim cycles - the first 2 I didn't have to go on the pill, but the 3rd cycle they got me to take it because I had a cyst on one of my ovaries, and they needed to make sure I had a 28 day cycle before I started stimming again.
    I was like you, and just do not react well at all... I also get ear infections from it (always did, even as a teenager) - at one point I even had both ear drums rupture within 24 hrs of each other (it was wonderful!!!)
    The doctors said it was coincidence, but ear problems happened every time I was on it previously, so I don't think so!!!
    When they suggested to go back on it for cycle no 4 I just refused point blank... the nurses told me I was taking a risk, and there may be a chance the cycle would have to be abandoned if it wasn't the right length.... I didn't care, and against their advice, I didn't take it the 4th time round.
    I was lucky, and went on to have a great cycle... our most successful one to date, so I am happy I stuck to my guns.
    It is different for everyone, though, and I guess after 4 cycles, I feel like I'm a doctor sometimes (!!!) which is perhaps why I had the confidence (however sensible it may or may not have been!) to refuse.

I know it is primarily to make sure you have an exact cycle length previous to starting... not sure how regular your cycles are, but this would be the main reason.

Hope this helps!!!!!!

Holly xxx

I've been told I absolutely must go on the pill between cycles. But then I'm a weird case that has no cycle at all, and going on the pill in between means that I can have a cycle of however long we need, rather than potentially having to sit for 70, 80 or perhaps even 100 days or more in between. I did get the impression that it was simply because of that, and isn't a requirement for everyone, though.

BW

Marg, I took the pill for three weeks while downregging but I think that is my clinic's practice so that they can organise people's IVF cycles more efficiently. I'm guessing that if someone had an adverse reaction or couldn't take the pill, they would arrange something different for them. Definitely tell them what is going on and see if they can give you an alternative arrangement. Good luck.

Thanks heaps for the replies - it's fantastic to hear everyone's experiences and to know that the BCP obviously isn't compulsary. I think I will speak to my Clinic about it next week and see what they say - is I REALLY don't want to take it. One because it doesn't agree with me at all and two because I just don't have a good feeling about it. I guess it's a bit like what you said Holly, we do know something about our own bodies and my gut feel is that I think I'd do better without it. Now I just have to get my Clinic to agree!!

Katee, I've been on Levlen ED which I think is just a cheaper brand but the same thing.

Thanks again,
    Marg