Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Capping Medicare Saftey Net for IVF/ART

Default a draft form letter

I took a stab at drafting a letter - only to make it easier for those looking for a starting point - you can copy & paste it into a word document or an email, and format it appropriately. Here it goes:

[make your own letterhead]

[date]

[addressees: To find your local member of the Commonwealth Parliament and their contact details go to Federal Electorate Search to search for the name of your electorate by suburb or postcode. Once you know the name of your electorate your members' contact details can be found by logging on to Parliament of Australia: House of Representatives: 42nd Parliament | List of Members by Electorate and searching the list by electorate name. If you click on the electorate name it will bring up your local members' names and
    their contact addresses in, phone, fax and email address.]

Dear Sirs/Madames/Sir & Madame [depends on addressees]:

I am writing to express my extreme concern over the possibility that the Medicare Safety Net may become means tested and/or not available for infertility treatments such as IVF. Infertility is not a choice, and for those who cannot conceive without medical intervention, IVF is not optional - it is a necessary medical procedure. The costs of IVF are expensive regardless of whether you have limited or more generous means. A loss of Medicare and/or of the Medicare Safety Net support for IVF would be devastating, as the approximately $8,000 per IVF cycle would make IVF out of reach for too many and shatter dreams of having a family.

If you have ever known someone who suffers from infertility, you already know that they would do anything to have a healthy baby. If necessary, they would cut back all discretionary spending just to afford IVF. In addition, they would probably subject themselves to unnecessary risks (such as the insistence of the transfer of multiple embryos) if the costs were such that there may only be an opportunity to do a single IVF cycle.

Infertility is a medical problem that affects all levels of society and large numbers of the population (one in 6 couples require assisted conception of some form), and IVF should be affordable for all Australians. A country that cares about its future, and the health and happiness of its citizens would not make any changes to the Medicare coverage of IVF.

Please consider these views when contemplating any changes to Medicare Safety Net.

Thank you,

[sign]

[note - below list taken from the ACCESS instructions]

cc: The Hon. Kevin Rudd MP (Email: [email protected])
    The Hon. Lindsay Tanner MP ([email protected])
    The Hon. Nicola Roxon MP ([email protected])
    The Hon. Malcolm Turnbull MP ([email protected])
    The Hon. Peter Dutton MP ([email protected])
    The Hon. Peter Costello MP (E: [email protected])

I sent emails off myself and then got mum involved - she sent to the pollies, but then got up in arms and started finding contact email addies for all the newspapers! go mum - my activist!

BG - Yay for your Mum - that's fantastic.

Excellent letter buliej. I'll be using it as a template and will be sending it to all the politicians on the list. I'm also emailing it to everyone in my address book.
    Thanks,
    Ali

I asked all my friends and family to be involved (if they are willing) and have agreed to sending emails and letters too

Just sent all my letters by email

have sent my letter...and am also doing a story on this

Possums - keep us posted - let us know if we can watch the story online (or on tv) or read something.

I watched the late news last night - all I saw was coverage re: the alci-pops or whatever those drinks are called - think about how many ivf treatments that money could cover and now it has to be given back - what a joke (I know it would never be used for such, but I can't help thinking about it).

will do...see if i can find the latest...

Thanks for drafting the letter Buliej, I didnt know where to start! I have emailed everyone on the list plus my local member. Good on you for getting this issue out there!

Everyone is doing a great job writing letters and getting their friends and family to do likewise, with the little information that is available on the issue

BellyBelly is supporting the ACCESS campaign and we are urging members to apply pressure to politicians.

We will continue to monitor the situation and assess what support we will provide as more news comes to hand.

Please see THIS post for more information.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by dusty; March 20th, 2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: update link

after doing a few interviews on this it seems no clear answers will be provided by the government about possible changes to the medicare safety net until the budget is handed down in May.
    The Opposition has raised the issue in Parliament, calling onthe government to ensure IVF services (and other things) are not cut...saying young couples trying to start a family should not be penalised.
    Others say people should keep lobbying in the meantime.

Hi Dusty - for some reason that link didn't work, but I found it...here:

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/mess...afety-net.html

I'm really happy BellyBelly is supporting this.

Thank you.

How does it work here In Australia? Once the budget is handed down, does it automatically go into effect or do the politicians then negotiate with each other? I ask because I'm wondering whether we will only know what is happening after it has already happened.

I think we will only really know what is happening once it has happened

whoops! Link all fixed now. Thanks for picking that up Buliej

Hi Julie, thanks once again for bringing this to our attention, I have just sent our letter off to our local MP, plus emailed all the politicians on the list. My family have also sent in their own letters, they were very eager to help.
    Thanks, Jodie

The budget is ONLY a proposal and has to be argued through parliament once it's handed down - most of the time the argument has happened beforehand, but sometimes it will be disputed when public reaction is gauged to certain changes. we've been advised at work that even though X payment may be mentioned, until it is passed into legislation (which happens within a couple of weeks) we can't guarantee that payment for people kwim?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast