Thread: Costs of Ultra Sounds

Question Costs of Ultra Sounds

Im just wondering what the costs of ultra sounds are? Does it matter with your have private health insurance or not.

Just starting to have a little panic as money is really tight here at the moment.

i went public system and they were all no charge, unless you wanted to go pay for an extra 3d one or something??
    once i had a 6week dating scan, but usually its jjust the 18 week one.

My ultrasounds have always been around $130-$150...and I've got about $60 back from Medicare...I don't think private health insurance covers anything...

They've been done through private clinics though.

Not the cheapest things...

My 20wk scan was about $200 but I got some back from Medicare.
    Priv health insurance doesn't cover scans. It only covers the costs incurred while you are a patient in the hospital.

Sorry, should have been clearer in my first post, little stresed at the moment, i was referrring to ultra sounds to check if everything is ok whilst TTC, rather than the pregnancy ones, not up to those yet. But gee...have to be saving the pennies for those too by the sounds.

Summer - I booked in for my u/s, same as you pre preg one, and when i booked in they told me how much! mines going to cost $175, but then i'll have to see how much i get back from medicare. I really wish i had more time to go to a bulk billed place where i didn't have to pay, but its no where near our house or my work!

So i'm like you, saving this month for the u/s then saving next month for the FS appointment!

Good luck!

Hey Summer

Mine were for fertility check-ups (fibroid investigations, follicular measurements, etc.).

I think one was for $140 and one for $180...I was a bit annoyed because my FS got me to have two scans within a few weeks (at different places)...when I got the 2nd scan done, the sonographer was really surprised that I had already had one done a few weeks earlier...

Mmmmm....

Cool

Oh man! I had to go into medicare today to get my money for last long appointment with GP. I asked her if she knew but she said there were too many variables in order to let me know how much you get back. Double checked about the safety net and we are registered, I had this moment where i couldnt remember if we had registered or not im just stressing too much at the moment I think. Apparently they send you out a letter when your getting close to it anyway.
    I wasnt aware that you could get it done for free, I know we have been caught once before when DH was sent for tests (non fertility stuff) and was loaded with a 200+ bill. I was so annoyed then.
    I dont have much time to save, Im having the U/S this week:eek:

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Summer,

I've never paid for u/s done for investigative purposes through my fertility clinic, coz they were all done in-house. If it looks like you may be looking into assistance with conceiving, it may be worth doing all your tests after you've seen your FS rather than before through your GP, and once you're attached to a clinic already.

Unless it works differently in other states?

Summer, I had an u/s done about 2 years ago to check everything over with regards to TTC, and mine cost about $270. Cannot remember what I got back from medicare though. This would be at the high end of the scale, considering the people I go to are the only ones around for thousands of klms.
    I 've had to have many u/s while growing up, not unusual for me to have at least 2 a year, and they all ranged in different prices depending on what was being done.
    Maybe ring the place where you are having the u/s done and ask them the price and if that is with the medicare rebate included or do you claim it afterwards.

Nic

Sushee, Ive gone with having some tests done with a GP first due to the distance away that a FS is, and the fact we decided to get some things done first.

NIc- i swear im just not thinking straight. I rang them and they asked why i was having an u/s etc and all i have to pay is the gap which is $80. Thank goodness for that.

My scans part of my cycles used to be included in the all up costs but just now in this cycle they've changed protocols and I now have to pay and get Medicare money back.
    My CD21 scan cost $130 but haven't gone to Medicare yet so not sure on the refund.

Yay for only having to pay the gap Summer!

Nic

The gap is pretty good

I went to my GP (bulk bill) who gave me a referral to have an ultrasound (which was also bulk bill) to check out my uterus etc. I didn't pay anything.

Ok, this seems to vary wildly from place to place.
    In Darwin, we paid to have it done at the Hospital
    In Richmond NSW, we would have paid to have it done thru a private pathology service
    In Sale VIC, it was free through the hospital
    Here in Canberra, it appears I will have to pay to have it done thru a private pathology service. They charge whatever they want to here (>$300 for a pelvic ultrasound last year when I thought I had a cyst) as there are not enough Providers to keep the charges down! (Also in Canberra they all think they are a little Sydney hahaha).
    *Sigh* So needless to say we are 100% likely to hit the safety net this year!!!