Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FET Progesterone support?

Question FET Progesterone support?

Hi Ladies & Gents

Im just starting a FET and having only actually had enough embryos spare for a FET once before i was wondering during a FET has your FS prescribed pessaries or Crinone?

Whilst ive used these in stim cycles, i have never during a FET which seems a bit odd from what ive read of others experiences.

Please share your experiences.. Thanks

i was sent a script for both, and given the option. the main thing that was expressed, and i got it from phone calls too - the pessaries are about half the cost of the crinone gel...

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

During my FET cycles I was not on pessaries, which always baffled me as AF always arrived early and I was suspicious that I was risking my chance of success by not having it. But my FS was adamant that I did not have luteal phase issues and didn't need luteal support in a natural FET.

When I did have success, it was on a stim and therefore on pessaries. Well, my P4 shot through the roof. In normal PGs, your P4 would range 100 - 200, mine was 1000+. So I probably didn't need the P4 supps after all, tbh.

Ask your FS why you're not on luteal support though, if it's bugging you, Shannon, even if it's just to put your mine at ease.
    Last edited by sushee; February 26th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Shannon, my FETs follow the pattern of drugs to induce ovulation naturally, transfer and... nothing. I have no luteal phase support at all. However, it is something that I am starting to wonder about after a couple of chemical pregnancies and AF arriving well before the blood test on the last unsuccessful cycle. It's something I'll be asking my FS about when I see him next week.

BW

Hi All

Seems I have a bit to learn about FET. Had EPU last wednesday - FS decided not to transfer Monday - not well enough. Will be getting fertility report this morning.. haven't had one since day 3.

Even though I have been under the impression that fresh ET was best my FS (and some of his colleages) think that we are best to wait. Not just because I over stimmed but that we (should) have a good chance of getting preggers (fingers crossed).

But i am still keen to get Fert Report... in a few hours.

And I have Crinone gel which for my clinic is included in the fee that we have paid. Because it will now be a FET I'm curious to know if they will give me anything else?

Belle, I've still got crinone in my fridge from April last year. Was in the same boat - hyperstimulation so no transfer then. They were going to give me pessaries for my next stim cycle in November, but I asked if I could use the crinone I still had... that was a yes, but I hyperstimulated AGAIN and it's still there. My FETs have been successful, to a point. I've had 4 FETs, 3 pregnancies from them. I've miscarried all 3 pregnancies, but I don't believe it's down to the fact they were a FET.

BW

hey butterfly warrior

Sorry to hear about your mc's - hope your next transfer sticks and stays. Good luck.

slyder Guest

Shannon, to answer your question, on a stim cycle our FS prescribes crinone, and on FET cycles she prescribes pessaries. Why they do the gel for stims and pessaries for the FET I have no idea.

Even if DW wanted to do a fully natural cycle, they still insist on pessaries. So to me that's not "natural", as none of the women I know who have fallen pg naturally have inserted a pessary into their vagina twice a day for 12 weeks. But I digress

It seems to be that whilst it may be pointless, it won't do any harm. Still seems dumb though in the cases of MF infertility.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    Shannon, to answer your question, on a stim cycle our FS prescribes crinone, and on FET cycles she prescribes pessaries.
    That was exactly the same situation for me for my stim and FET cycles.

I believe the reason for the crinone at stims is because the gov provide it with your cycles.

My clinic always gives me the option of what i want to use but it is at my cost and the gel is more expensive

Thanks everyone for your answers...

I'm very confused as to why im not given the option or either during a FET. Think i will be discussing this with the FS.

At least having a blood test to check progesterone levels during the TWW to make sure they are definately not needed.

Thanks again

shannon - i think if you're doing a "natural FET" - where you O and then transfer after, you don't need the LP support as your ovary (and the corpus luteum) will produce the progesterone until the placenta takes over fully

if you're doing a "medicated FET" - where you have the HRT - the hormones are introduced and there is nothing being produced naturally - so you don't make the progesterone for yourself. in that case, you get the support

in some cases, FS makes it a matter of course that you need LP support - but a lot of people (like sushee) make enough P4 themselves and don't NEED it...

hope that helps to clear it up...

Hello there
    I was interested in this thread & I hope you don't mind me butting in
    but I have a question that you girls may be able to answer for me!
    Would anyone know what is the "normal" level for progesterone during
    the TWW ie: cd21 progesterone test.
    I have googled but not getting a real clear answer on it.
    TIA
    Anna

I am going through the same thing with my FS. Only done one stim cycle and with support after but all others have been FET with no support and I keep having chemical pregnancies but my FS is admant that I don't need any too.

My Ob ended up getting me to do a blood test 7 days after my last transfer just to see what's going as he was surprised I wasn't on anything either but he said that my FS knows what he is doing.

I have no idea anymore!

Hi there,

I have just completed a 'natural' FET cycle and was not given any pessaries or gel for support until i rang the nurse the week after my TWW to tell her that I was feeling 'crampy'. SHe got me in there for a BT and we found that my P4 had dropped to less than half. She them put me on the pessaries and have had no problems ever since.

In my opinion- ask for them - they cant hurt and have the added effect that if you do have progesterone issues, it will be sorted and you will carry on with your BFP.

Good luck with it all.

Fi

im still also a little confused

If you do not need P4 support if you 'o' like on a natural cycle why do they then give it to you after EPU? as trigger induces 'o' or am i wrong?

PP, I think it's a case of the trigger induces ovulation, but they suck the eggs out before the body ovulates naturally, which stops the corpus luteum from forming.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Fiona_01 View Post
    Hi there,
    I have just completed a 'natural' FET cycle and was not given any pessaries or gel for support until i rang the nurse the week after my TWW to tell her that I was feeling 'crampy'. SHe got me in there for a BT and we found that my P4 had dropped to less than half. She them put me on the pessaries and have had no problems ever since.

See this is where I get totally confused - my last transfer I started cramping literally wihtin 12 hours of the transfer and cramped for days and they told me not to worry about it. The day I stopped cramping I got my period 2 days later .

I had my prosg.tested end of last year during a normal cycle - no IVF or FETand it was in the normal range - would that be why they won't put me on them maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast