Thread: First visit to fertility clinic

Default First visit to fertility clinic

Hi everyone

Well I meet with my FS for the first time next week on the 25th March. We have put off using assisted conception for so long because of the costs associated with it as we do not have private health cover. Finally decided to investigate a bit further and am discovering Medicare covers a fair bit of it and once we reach the safety net limit they will cover more. So fingers crossed we will be able to cope with the cost especially if we do not get a BFP on first attempt.

Having said that I have no idea what will be suggested for me! Can anyone please tell me what to expect on my first visit with the FS? I am going to be using Concept in Perth and although I have the fee schedule I have ound it very confusing and after talking to them on the phone was still confused. I have had other BB members tell me they are a good clinic, and was wondering if anyone else could shed some light on what the costs are and what is included.From what I can gather I will be looking at around $4500/IVF cycle.

Please bare with me as this is a whole new direction in the TTC journey for me. I am still learning and finding it very daunting! I also suffer from depression and have been off medication for some months now as my doctor thought that they may have been upsetting my ovulation. I have been coping well, but latley have found I am getting in a black hole as the more I look into the costs and what is involved with each cycle (tests, needles, mood swings etc) I am feeling more and more nervous and unsure of what to do. Sometimes i think i dwell too much on things and may talk too much so please forgive me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Hun

On your first visit to the FS its more like a interview.They will ask you about your TTC journey, any medical conditions, how long you have been trying etc.

They will then send you away to do a bunch of tests. These will be

• Blood tests for both you and your partner
    • HyCoSy (Internal Ultrasound for you to make sure there are nothing blocking the Fallopian Tubes
    • Sperm Analysis for Partner
    • etc

all these tests will be sent back to your FS. So when you go to the 2nd appointment, they will have a bigger picture of you. Then they can start determining what measures to take next.

I am fairly new to the Assisted Conception too, but definately not new to TTC. I wish you all the best hun. Hope this clinic brings you joy.

Sorry i couldnt help you on the clinic itself. But you will feel better after your first Visit.

Hi there Jojoy,

Lullaby is correct the first visit is more like an interview. I also went to Dr Mazzucchelli, which I believe from the other thread that this is the FS that you are going to see. He will complete a clinical history form, discuss likely success rates and cots, side effects and complications plus treatment regime. He will then most likely fill out blood request forms for both of you, which will include tests for HIV, Hep B and Hep C, plus a request for sperm evaluation, if necessary. He may also do an US, on our first visit, I was actually mid cycle, so he did an internal examination to take a look at my CM. He may also get you to do a tracking cycle, which is just a series of blood tests to make sure that you are ovulating. You will then go to Concept, get all the required tests done, meet with one of the coordinators and if Dr Mazz hasn't already they will give you all the relevant information leaflets on different procedures. The coordinators there are lovely and will make you feel really at ease You will then most likely go back to Dr Mazz and discuss your likely treatment regime. We started first with a timed intercourse cycle and then IUI.

Our last IVF cycle cost approx $4000, which included the actual IVF part of around $3350, Assisted Hatching $290, Medication $225, Semen Prep $44. The theatre cost for egg retrieval was around $250. Once the medicare safety net is reached then you will receive 80% back. Dr Mazz's fees when you see him, ie for your Planning are separate and cost around $150. He also then bills you for the actual egg retrieval and also any embyro transfers that you get done.

I HTH and hasn't bombarded you with even more info. Please let me know if you want any more info or just someone to chat to. Hope it all goes well for you and that your journey is a short one. Take care

Hi Jojoy
    I am also in Perth and this is my first attempt at IVF. I also am like you and suffer from an anxiety disorder. However i am still on my meds and intend to stay on them. I got my GP to refer me to an ante-natal psychologist who ran through all the options with me and there are actually drugs you can take during pregnancy, and even a form of xanac for those really bad days. You have to be careful because a mother who is depressed and anxious can cause conditions in their children. I'm dont want to scare you but my sister has been through it too but this was before the research.
    Please feel free to contact me if you want to chat about it or need extra info but please dont let this bog you down. MInd-related problems can be controlled during pregnancy and conception and i think if i was off my meds i would be feeling a little like you are now.
    Anyway, hope i have not freaked you out and if you need to chat, let me know.
    Emma

Thumbs up

Hi jojoy,

I am about to start my third IVF/ICSI cycle tomorrow (1 previous failed, 1 cancelled) morning and am feeling equally as anxious as I was the first time - somewhat more so, as I am not as optimisitic as the first time.

As for money issues, i can relate. My husband and I put off ART for too long because of costs. I did a full run down of all of my costs for my last cycle, inlcuding costs of all related medication (right down to a $4.00 packet of cardiprin). Our IVF/ICSI cycle her ein Brisbane with QFG is an upfront payment of $6710.00. We put it on a credit card that was obtained soley for the purpose of IVF. That way we can wear the cost until the Medicare rebate comes back in. At my clinic it take sa while as they don't give you the medicare itemised account until about 10 days after EPU/ET. But after that it's as simple as taking it into Medicare - just make sure you have registered for the safety net as it doesn't always automatically happen (so 've been told). Totalled up, our full cycle cost us $2210.00 out of pocket which I've decided is a small price to pay for a chance at being a parent! Next cycle we will get even more back from Medicare... Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it was really helpful. My first appointment went really well. He did and internal exam which included an internal ultrasound. He discoverd I had an egg on the right that was ready to release and said that my womb had fallen backwards over my bowel but his would not stop me getting pregnant. My womb has actually been this way since I was a young girl and is more common than people think.

He has sent me for a HSG xray which I am doing on the 21st of April. He asvises me to take painkillers before I go as the cramping cam be bad. After the xray he will help me decide the next step that is right for us.

Thanks again girls for your help!