Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Immunology Testing

Bumping this really interesting and useful thread for those that haven't come across it before, and also to ask if people have learnt or found more information about what testing is available etc it would be really valuable for members to have easy access to it.

Thanks

Hi All,
    Have been doing quite a bit of research on immunoloical issues as I am hypothryoid with hashimotos and think that the anti thyroid antiboides have been causing implantation failure as i get PG for a few days almost every time with IVF but it doesn't stay. I have found a lot of great information, esp from Flowergirl, and butterfly warrior..
    cheers
    Last edited by Samandpoppy; April 16th, 2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Wow, this thread is great. I?ve been looking into this and in December I had a telephone conference with Dr Gamal Matthias. He is a Reproductive Immunologist. I had a series of blood tests done and am currently waiting for results. I too seam to fall pregnant every time whether it?s assisted or natural. I can?t wait to hear the results, good or bad. My FS told me to just pray because he can?t find anything wrong with hubby or myself. What I do know is that I have Hashimotos, High thyroid antibodies and ATA levels that are only slightly elevated 1:40. Apparently these all make a difference.

I will let you know how my test results go when I receive them.

Hi bubwishes,
    Great to "meet" someone dealing with the same thing. will be really interested to see what the repruductive immunologist has to say, what city is he in? I will hopefully be doing a phone consultation with Gavin Sacks in Sydney in next few weeks. we are in melb. I'm going to see a few FS to find out as much as I can, as I didn't last year and now is the time!!!
    I went to a new endocrinologist in melb late last year and he changed me onto thyroxine and he wants my TSH to be around about 1. going on to thyroxine has reduced my antithyroid antibodies to about 21 and 45 but I don't know yet what it needs to be. The lab range is <6. Anyway will be great to swap notes. If you think we need new thread that is more specific would be happy for that, but have no idea how to do it!!!

Bubwishes,
    what is ATA? Different to anti thyroid antibodies?

Dr Mathias is in Sydney too, and i'm in Perth. He trained under Dr Beer in the US. Yes ATA and Anti Thyroid is different .... i can't remember what ATA stands for either (i've got a mental blank this morning. we will have to keep each other up to date with our progress. hopefully i'll get my results next week.

Hi ladies,

With Dusty's permission, I am posting a link I stumbled across recently during researching about recurrent implantation failure. I will also post in the immunology test thread.

It outlines all the various tests that can be done to test for infertility, both male and femail, from genetics, immunology, endocrine, hormones, etc etc. It seems to have everything, which I haven't found all on one site before. It also gives great explanations as to what all the tests are.

Infertility Lab Test

I hope this helps some. Best wishes to you all. xx

Hi Babydream time,
    I have started a thread re Thyroid issues, yeah me, first one, so proud!
    http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/long...id-issues.html

Did you get your results yet?

Default conception

Hello,

i just wanted to know abot immunology tests? when is the right time for it.http://photosnag.com/img/3147/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

Hi lalitearns,

For me after 4 transfers with never a hint of a BFP, I pressed my FS for these tests. I have heard that some FSs won't ask for these tests until up to 8 unsuccessful transfers. I think all my BTs cost approx $400, most I claimed back from Medicare

Hi everyone else,

I also wanted to post that my new FS gave me the results from an extra BT she requested. My last FS had requested a whole range of tests, see my earlier post in this thread, but had missed MTHFR for some reason, not sure if this was not requested just because of an error.

Anyway, lucky for me my new FS picked up that it was missing and my results showed positive for MTHFR. In the weirdest way I am over the moon as now I have something that could be contributing to my unexplained infertility.

From what I understand people with MTHFR factor don't produce folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. Women with MTHFR factor can have early miscarriages and a lack of B6 and B12 directly affects rapidly reproducing cells... which is exactly what an embryo is. In fact, a lack of B6 and B12 causes rapidly reproducing cells to STOP reproducing. This is also linked to an increase in homocyctein levels and falls under the thrombophillia blood clotting disorder.

Some I am now on:
    Low dose aspirin daily (100mg)
    5mg folate daily
    Mega dose of B6 and B12
    Clexane injections daily from ET

I am yet to know if this will make the difference to me getting a BFP, will definitely post my results, but just wanted to stress how worth it it is to get all your tests done and make sure ALL of them are done. I don't want to think about what it would have meant if I didn't get this one result, (everything else tested normal), possibly endless more transfers.

Best of luck

Hi everyone, some news to report, the most exciting moment I've had last week was after my total of 15 vials of blood been taken, I was so reliefed I have left them behind to say the least. I was really nervous and didn't even had a good sleep the night before. Fasting is not helping my naucious either that morning.

FS appt went well and he has no problems of getting me tested for all the long list of things I brought along with me. I should be getting the result sometime this week. The only thing I haven't done is the endo biopsy. Because I have fibroids and he said the biopsy is a bit uncomfortable and he might as well get it done when I have my fibroids removed altogether.

Has anyone done the Endometrium/uterius biopsy (I assume they are the same things)?

Hope you are all doing well!

Hi Cuddlepie - as you know, I did the SIVF MC investigation program. I skipped on the endometrium/uterus biopsy (for really stupid reasons I won't go into), but I can tell you it is performed at approximately Day 26 of a 28 day cycle. It is done at this time as this is when the lining will have the highest concentration of NK cells, prior to the lining shedding for AF. The Program tracks your O (as not everyone O's on Day 14), then the biopsy is done approx 12 days after. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlepie View Post
    Hi everyone, some news to report, the most exciting moment I've had last week was after my total of 15 vials of blood been taken, I was so reliefed I have left them behind to say the least. I was really nervous and didn't even had a good sleep the night before. Fasting is not helping my naucious either that morning.

FS appt went well and he has no problems of getting me tested for all the long list of things I brought along with me. I should be getting the result sometime this week. The only thing I haven't done is the endo biopsy. Because I have fibroids and he said the biopsy is a bit uncomfortable and he might as well get it done when I have my fibroids removed altogether.

Has anyone done the Endometrium/uterius biopsy (I assume they are the same things)?

Hope you are all doing well!
    Woo hoo CP! Glad to hear. Seems you are a little ahead of me in your investigations. I look forward to hearing how you go.
    I am heading to Dr Sacks tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect but I am open to everything at the moment. I think I will go the biospy if it is offered and am interested in what others have experienced/found.

Hi ladies. I noticed the earlier posts on this thread are now almost 3 years old. Are there any Drs in Brisbane now doing this testing/treatment or is it just the same two Drs in Sydney doing it?

I would like to get this testing done before doing any more IVF cycles. If I need to go to Sydney, how long would I need to be down there? Do I just get a referral from my GP in Brisbane? How much would I expect the testing/consultation to cost? Would I need to continue to go down if I did need any sort of treatment? Can acupuncture help with any of these problems - is it worth trying that first?

I feel like I've hit a brick wall with our treatment. My FS seems reluctant to do any further testing and just wants to keep trying the same IVF protocol over and over again. I can't help but think that after 4 transfers (6 embryos; not to mention 6 IUIs and months of trying naturally) there must be some reason for us not getting pg. At the very least I'd like to rule this out...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

juniper76, sorry to hear your journey so far is not successful. I would definitely recommend to do further testing...I wish I could have done it earlier and now I have this compelling urge to tell everyone especially those who are put into this 'unexplained infertility' basket to get tests done early.

I am not sure if anyone in Brisbane does the immunological testings, hope someone will come to offer help soon. I am in Sydney. I know there are a lot of people who just fly in to see the two doctors mentioned here for consultation, phone consultation is also avaiable. My first consultation was around $180 (can't remember the exact figure but definitely under $200) and the blood test are all bulk bill so completely free. You will need to get a referal from your GP which should be quite easy and then just book the appt. The tests are done in St. George Hospital seperately and some tests are done during certain time of the cycle (ie. NK cells 7 days before AF) so there might be more than one trips, but a little bit of plan could minimize it I am sure.

Regarding treatment, Im sure there is way to work around the geographic problem as you are definitely not the first interstate patient Dr S had. At least take the first step to get the tests done so you know where you stand.

My FS said each Transfer is about 30% chance, fresh ones are higher, so anything more than 3 failed transfer, I'd think more to find out the problem rather than just single-minded repeat the same process. There is a 'numbers game' factor in there but you'd hate to waste so many perfect embyros then find out something can be fixed easily.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you go....

Hi Ladies,

Juniper, Cuddlepie pretty much gave you all the info about Dr S and testing for NK. I would suggest maybe doing a phone consult with him, then travel to Sydney for the testing. I too had my NK bw and endo biospy done at St George Hosp Kogarah. I can't remember what cycle day for the b/t (not sure if it mattered) but late in the cycle for NK biopsy.

I also wanted to add for the reference of others:

Dr Lynn Burmeister in Melb does NK testing (not sure which clinic, sorry)

There is a female FS in Darwin at Repromed who does NK testing & biopsy (don't know the name, sorry can't be more help).

HTH.

I went to Dr S and he is wonderful he recognised my immune system was causing our infertility and put me on a clexaine protocal and bingo I gave birth 8 mnths ago. he is a legend.

Juniper Dr S is one of his kind in this testing - I would suggest it's well worth a plane trip to Sydney. Give his rooms a call and see what you can manage?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast