Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hello, my name is Cindy and I came aross this message board while looking for information on the IVF drugs I am taking to begin my first cycle. I thought what better way to get information is from ladies in the same situation. I don't know if its customary for people to introduce themselves, so I appologize if its not. Some info on me. My husband and I have been trying to conceive since Sept 1999. in Sept 2000 we found out that I have PCOS and my hubby had low sperm count. We were referred to a urologist for my husband and a fertility clinic at the local hospital. Thankfully here in Canada to see the drs its free, you just wait forever to get in. We were suggested that we use Donor sperm. Well we were not sure we wanted to go that route and decided to just leave things in the hands of God, cause it only takes on sperm to swim fast enough. Then my husband fell ill with testicular cancer, twice. and there was no sperm to freeze. So that meant our only option was donor sperm. Although my husband was concerned about loving a child that was not genetically his, after helping me with my home daycare he quickly lost those fears. we had a tube test done to find out I have one tube blocked, but tried 5 cycles of Donor Insemination with no success. We decided we wanted to go to IVF since there is no explanation of why the first 5 attempts did not work. Well before going to IVF we had to do another tube test and found out that both my tubes are blocked, which means the gov't will pay for the IVF procedure, we just had to come up with the thousands of dollars for the drugs. Finally we are set to go.
    I started on Synarel on March 3 and on the 16th I start bloodwork and I am assuming my gonal F shots either that day or shortly afterwards. I have had barely any side effects from the Synarel, which I am relieved. They say you can have mild memory loss and I suppose I have had that a bit. but the main thing is that since I started it, I have a horrible time sleeping, has anyone else had this problem? I was previously on medication to calm me so I can go to sleep and have been on it for years so its very unlike me to toss and turn to fall asleep, or wake up multiple times in the night
    I am extremelly nervous about my egg retrieval, I know I get meds to dull the pain, but I have heard it can still hurt quite a bit... have any of you expereinced this? I am hoping its not too bad as I have been told to take a week off after the retreival and I would hate to be off for a week and in horrible pain.
    Sorry to ramble on , this is just all new to me, different drugs from the DI cycles we have previously done. And I have been told I won't get my monthly visitor on Synarel, and I noticed some of you stating that you do and its after that you have egg retrieval.. I suppose different doctors are different, I just found the difference interesting
    is it common for IVF to be successful on the first try??
    ok I will stop rambling on here.. I look forward to getting to know other ladies in the same situation

Hi Krafts,
    Welcome, you will find lots of information here, and everyone is so helpful. Sounds like you have had a tough journey, but very exciting to be starting your first IVF cycle. Yes I have heard/seen many times the first IVF cycle be a success, you have just as much chance as anyone, and seeing as it is MFI and tubal problems, both of which can be overcome with IVF, you are in with a good chance.

I normally do a down reg cycle with the pill for 21 days, then syneral. As soon as I stop the pill my period arrives a few days later, which counts as Day 1 of the cycle with injections starting around Day 3, and between 12 to 14 days of injections. Sometimes the first cycle is a bit of trial and error to see how your body responds to the meds. No I haven't had any trouble sleeping on Syneral, I can't help you there unfortunately.

Egg retrieval is done here under a general anesthetic, and you are given pain meds following. I think that the pain is worse the more follicles you have. I normally have a day or two off after EPU to relax, but don't find it too bad. But I guess everyone responds differently.

Best of luck to you and hope you get your BFP first go. Hugs x

Thanks for the information... I have seen on TV how people are put fully under for egg retrieval, but here you are awake, they give you a med to regulate your heart and pain meds to relax you, and then freeze your cervix I think, you get to watch it all on the ultrasound screen while its happening.
    I just have to ask what some of your short hand means

BFP?? and EPU? I nkow I will figure out most of them on my own, but just had to ask

Hi Krafts,

BFP is Big Fat Positive
    EPU is Egg Pick Up

here is a list of all the other acronyms, http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/foru...-acronyms.html

Sounds interesting being awake for EPU, I hope it doesn't hurt, best of luck with your cycle, keep us up to date. Hugs

Hi Krafts, just wanted to give you a big warm welcome to BellyBelly!

You will find all the women on here to be a great source of knowledge, understanding and comfort.

for your first IVF cycle, and hope to see your pregnancy annoucement soon!

x

Hi Krafts, I cant add much to the replies, but wanted to welcome you and wish you luck!

As has been mentioned, we are generally sedated in oz for our egg pick ups. I am relieved about that more b/c I think I would cry through the whole thing, rather than the pain... just the tension, waiting to see how many eggs you have.. would stress me out. I think if the pain was terrible, then other countries would sedate also, so I think you will be OK.

We are probably sedated her, just so we cant hear the doctors bad jokes!