Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The IVF revolution is money badly spent"

Great letter Holly

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I agree. Holly that was an awesome letter. I hope it gets published.

Though I have to admit, I guess I've been around a little while now, and articles like these don't affect me anymore. Every year or so some hack from some newspaper takes a potshot at infertile couples, because we're an easy target. If you've never struggled with infertility, it's easy for someone to get you up in arms about us - we're OBVIOUSLY the biologically-flawed, career-minded, selfish people who left it too late to conceive, who now, because we believe we want to have a designer baby the same way we buy designer handbags, are prepared to throw money at unscrupulous clinics, BUT we want poor taxpayers to pay for it, because with Medicare rebates, we CERTAINLY don't have to fork out a cent.

It's a journalist's dream. No bloody wonder whenever someone wants to stir up some contraversy, they drag the old 'let's attack the infertile' arguement out again. We see it as regularly as clockwork.

There will always be ignorant people who will believe the bull these jounalists write. There will always be those who read it and think 'they're absolutely right!' but these are also the people who WANT to believe that we're money-grubbing, soulless, selfish people sqaundering their hard-earned tax dollars. Until they are affected personally, sympathy from those people will not be forthcoming.

So I guess I'm just jaded now. I am still a firm believer in IVF equity and the rights of the infertile to medical help, and will fight strenously for that. But with articles like this, I just can't muster the interest to try to correct someone who is so obviously trying to get a rise out of me.

Thanks girls

Sush - I completely understand where you're coming from - thats exactly how I've begun to feel now. I think the exceptional ignorance from this woman especially ticked me off... and the fact that we're getting organised for #5 cycle amidst the safety net issue probably pushed me a little too far!!!

I would love for it to be published, only to show support for those others the same as us that need to know we're out here and we understand - but its too damn long, and it was attack on the integrity of the newspaper, so I doubt I'll hear anything at all from them!!!

My shoulders are a little lighter today though, so thats good

Thanks for your support

Holly,

I think it would be an injustice if your letter wasn't published as a reply. But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't - wouldn't want to show up their paid journalist as a bit of an ignoramus, would they?

I think it was wonderful of you to write to them. I sometimes tell my DH that I have become too bitter and jaded over the years. I am starting to believe that there is no point in trying to show people what they don't want to see, and in turn, I expose my deepest feelings for their benefit, but to no avail.

But I do believe that there needs to be those who are out there arguing our case. I just don't know if it will be me anymore every time one of these articles get published. But for those of you who did write in, I applaud you. I didn't mean to sound quite so bitter in my previous post!
    Last edited by sushee; March 28th, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

Sush,

You don't sound bitter at all!!!

I hope you don't think I thought you did - I completely am with you as far as not replying etc anymore... there are so many things I let go now, because I completely agree with you, people don't want to hear it and its just too exhausting when you put your heart on the line over & over to fall on deaf ears....

I have to admit, I doubt I would've even thought about writing in if our next cycle wasn't almost upon us.... here come the hormones already and I haven't even started the drugs yet!!!

You didn't come across bitter at all, sweet xxxx

Thank you Holly. And no I didn't think you thought I was bitter! I just re-read my post and KNEW I sounded bitter and jaded! Lol!

Holly,

The letter is brilliant!

I went and had a look at the Herald Sun article on line - out of the 43 responses on there only 2 were on her side, the rest were from people like us that were horrified by her insensitivity.

I'm sorry I haven't responded myself - atm I am feeling very jaded about it all. Maybe another day with fresh eyes would be better...

Default Patrick TWISTER

Hi Everyone,

The latest Monash IVF Friends newsletter has an excellent response to Jill Singer's article, by Jodi Panayotov, author of "In Vitro Fertility Goddess". It's probably on her website too - invitrofertilitygoddess.com

Ali

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123