Thread: IVF's Gender Stats

Default IVF's Gender Stats

I was just wondering?????
    Those that have done IVF, is there a gender tendency in different procedures. I have heard that alot of IVF bubs are male! Not that it matters, just abit of fun
    I have had 3 ICSI pregnancys with 3 girls.
    Bec

Blue Sky Guest

Hi Bec,

I remember asking my Dr about this at the first "IVF" appt as I had heard of a few girl IVF bubs. He said there isn't a tendency. Although looking in the PGALTTTC forum, you'd swear there was a bit of a blue theme!

Cheers
    H

confusedegg Guest

Happy New Year Ladies

I know there is a charge to confirm the sex of your emby but it is AROUND $13,000 (dh & I were told) and then there is still no guarantee they'd be 100% accurate.

DH & I got BFP in Feb 05 with confirmation of twin girls in June.

Chris

skyelar Guest

Totally OTT here but Bec how did you find your ICSI? We are just about to start on out first ICSI, I am down regging atm & I'd love to hear a success story!

Did you fall pg first time?

Skye

Hi Girls,

Bec, I've also heard that IVF favours males and yes, as Heather said, there seems to be a predominance of them among those of us who have had IVF. Could just be a coincidence though.

The theory is that the male sperm swim faster and so get there first. The girls are slow and steady. This theory underlies the advice given to those trying to select the sex using natural methods (ie, Shettles). It's all to do with the timing of intercourse and ovulation. Apparently if you want a girl, you need to DTD a few times over the days leading up to ovulation so that there are plenty of girl sperm up there waiting for the egg. If you wait until right on the day, the boy sperm have the better chance.

I'd also heard that ICSI tends to produce more females but I am not sure why this is. Carrie from LTTTC had ICSI and hers was a little girl. Bec, now you're another one I've heard of!

The doctors will always say though that it's still just a fifty fifty chance in the end and of course they're right but it's fun to speculate anyway!

Mel

i ended up with twin Boy/girl from IVF so definately 50/50 here - lolol
    odette
    mum to ariel and immogen -5/12/2002 - TWINS!!!

Hi Odette.. can you let me know how old you were when you succeeded and how long you tried all up and how many cracks at IVF you had... sorry about all the questions and i hope you can help....(just curious, as I had my first failed attempt when I was 29, and it was such a poor response we have no frosties in the freezer)

thanks

leis x

Well I'm hoping to defy the odds this time around. 1st IVF bub was a boy and I'll find out in 10 weeks what this one will be. My heart says a girl but my head says a boy. Could I possibly attempt a # 3 if I do have another boy? Ask me that question in a couple of years and I'll tell you....

I think that's why I got a girl dog, to even out the numbers.

We were told that with ICSI there were more girls born than boys, although our first born is a boy and we are expecting another boy and perhaps a girl this time around, so who knows?

hi there leis
    my story starts very similar to your.
    At 29 had first IVF - got 7 eggs, but when they fertilized them, 6 collapsed and only one worked when they left it fertilize by itself. Had it put back and it didn't work - so BFN and no snowbubs

Next cycle they got three. Put two back and got twins!!!
    I had the last snowbub put back 10 months after they were born, but it also was a BFN.

Even though it is a heart wretching journey - don't give up. It will happen, its just a matter of odds and time!! Hey they can put a man on the moon - so surely they can get a woman preggers!!! lolol

GOOD LUCK!!! and if you have any other questions, just ask away - no probs!

take care
    odette

My little man is due in a few short weeks and he is an IVF baby