Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or is Synarel not THAT bad?

Darily Guest

Default Is it just me, or is Synarel not THAT bad?

Started sniffing morning and night last Tuesday, and I was completely expecting to be gagging on the stuff.

I had my highly concentrated glass of green cordial by my side, took a big sniff . . . and, well, not that bad really. YAY me

If everything in this first IVF cycle is as easy as this, bring on the ER!

glad you arent finding it too bad
    good luck with this cycle.

I personally dont find it to be too bad, but not too great either! It gives me headaches and makes me feel a bit sick for a while...but then that passes and all is ok again

Hi,
    I agree with you. I have been taking synarel for a week now and apart from a bit of a runny nose (which I attribute to a headcold) it is not as bad as I thought. The pharmacist and nurse advised me only to do a normal sniff not an overly big one so maybe that is why?
    It looks as though we are going through things at the same time. I am on my first IVF cycle and am booked in for my scan on April 22nd, if all goes well will start injections after that, it seems to be taking forever just to get to the actual procedure!!
    Wishing you luck!

for me to start off with it wasn't 'that' bad! however the longer i was on it the more it began to make my nose hurt! the fact that i always get a little stressie during cycles doesn't help.

I remember the first couple of cycles that i did i said to my DH, i dont know what people are talking about IVF is not that hard! after so many cycles i am now starting to see the emotional strains that it is putting on me, and probably was much earlier that i had wanted to see myself!

Everyone is different and i hop for you synarel is easy on you for the duration of your cycle. GL

Ugg. Syneral. It really affects me badly. I get headaches instantly and feel consistantly ill.

On my first cycle I wasnt doing deep enough sniffs and I was not suppressed enough so had to go onto 2 sniffs, 3x a day.

My FS said that if I cant taste it at the back of my throat after 5 minutes, I havent sniffed properly. I am being really careful to get it right this time and just had my ostrodiol a few days back. It came back fine at 52. Yaay! Feel as sick as a dog all day though
    Last edited by sammiejam; April 17th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.

the sniffing and the taste didnt bother me, it was the side effects that got me, i was suffering terrible migrains with syneral and also was feeling so drained, i struggled to get out of bed in the morning to go to work and was in bed by 8 everynight totally exhausted.

i would take puregon and crinone any day, i hate syneral!!!!

best of luck with your cycle, fingers crossed

Funny because I was just saying this to my acupuncturist! I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong with the sniffing because I was not finding it as awful as everyone was saying! There is just a bit of a chemical taste but nothing overpowering. I have had a couple of headaches and I did get a bit of a flu on about day 4 of injections (which i don't relate to the treatment anymore) but the sniffing bit is fine.

I can't say I find the Gonal F injections delightful though. I am sick of drinking water, sick of going to the toilet every five minutes and sick of feeling bloated!

Darily Guest

Sammiejam - I'm sorry you have such a hard time with the stuff. I haven't noticed any side effects yet, but then I've only been taking it twice a day for 5 days now, so maybe the bad stuff is coming I'm glad to read the bit about knowing you've done it right if you can taste it at the back of your throat after 5 minutes. Looks like I'm doing it right then, because at first I can't taste anything, then after about 5 minutes I feel it run down the back of my throat. It's not that bad though, nowhere near as bad as I had expected.

Cadence - we are pretty close in our protocol, I have my scan on April 27th and hope to start stims that night. Best of luck to you.

Poppyfairy - I know what you mean about drinking water. I've been told to have 3 litres a day from stims to ET and I just know I'll be running to the loo every 10 minutes. I hate the feeling of a full bladder, so I might just put a porta-potty in my office

I am sure my DH would disagree - apparently i am moody and grumpy due to all the headaches i get from synarel

I often refer to myself as being in a 'synarel fog' as it makes it harder to concentrate for a while...along with the headache...that does however get better after a few hours

i found i didn't get any problems from synarel and even thought maybe it wasn't working , it was. i didn't get many symptoms at all apart from tummy bloating when i was growing my 14 eggs.

it wasn't until i was taking the crinone gel that i got ALL the symtoms. yukky stuff.

hope all goes well for you.

Hi Darily,
    Just wanted to check in and say hi!
    Had my down reg scan this morning and all is well so am starting puregon tomorrow, not looking forward to injections again, my last ov induction cycle I had to do injections for 3 weeks straight not fun!! Nurse today said that as long as you are sniffing and not sneezing or blowing your nose within 5 minutes of taking synarel then it is working. I told her that sometimes I can taste it and other times I can't and she said that being able to taste it shouldn't make a difference.
    Hope all is well with you and that your scan has the same result so you can start your injections. My next scan is next wed so fingers crossed for us both, Take care

Meo Guest

Hi Darily and Cadence (and everyone else), looks like I've started this cycle around the same time as you both, how exciting! I've got my first follicle scan on Friday, been on the Puregon injections since last Friday.

I haven't found the Synarel too bad either, not nice of course, but not enough to make me gag. I do find that occaisionally it will give me a headache though, they can be a bit much. The things we do for our kids, right? And they're not even here yet!

I have found that the Puregon seems to have made me more bloated this time around though (IVF round 2 for me, first was in January). I'm in a high risk category for OHSS too, so hoping that it's not that already! Being younger and starting overweight and having PCOS is not the best way to be, but if conditions were ideal, well, I wouldn't be meeting all of you lovely ladies in the LTTTC threads

With the Puregon this round, I'm finding it hard to do up my pants already, even though I'm currently dieting and it seemed to be working REALLY well up to the start of the injections. And I can feel things growing in my pelvic region already, so hopefully this scan will show some good results and it won't be too long to EPU We're going with ICSI this time around as last round we got 6 eggs, 4 mature but one blighted emby so no transfer. DH has some swimmer issues, so we figured we'd get the best and get them into the eggs and see how our chances improve. Here's hoping!

Good luck to all, it must be our turn soon, right?

Hi Meo,
    Great to have another person going through all this at the same time. Well not great that any of us have to go through it at all but good to have support iykwim!!!
    I have found that puregon doesn't really agree with me but don't think that I will have a problem with ohss if any of my previous cycles are anything to go by.
    I hope that all goes well with your scan on Friday and will be thinking of you!
    Keep us posted- hope to hear some good news very soon.

Darily Guest

Hi ladies,

Cadence - great news that your down reg scan went well. What clinic are you with and what dose of Puregon are you on? I'm at Melbourne IVF and I'll be starting on 150iu next Monday is the scan goes well. I'm still having no troubles with the Synarel, no headaches or anything. Hope I'm doing it all right!

Meo - Looks like you're well on your way. What dose are you on? Sounds like bloating can be a real problem. I've only ever been on 50iu of Puregon and had no side effects from that, but I'm sure 150iu is a different story. I guess it will be stretchy skirts for me while stimming if I get too bloated

Hi Darily,
    Just did my first puregon injection (well first for this cycle). The dose is 200 and I am also with Melbourne IVF. Dr Kate Stern is my doctor. I am so hoping that when I go next wed they will say yep you are ready to have your epu in a coupld of days- wishful thinking but I get very down and miserable on the puregon so don't want to be on it for long.
    Meo how are you going? Good luck for scan tomorrow keep us posted!

Darily Guest

Hi Cadence,

I've heard Kate Stern is great. I'm with Fleur Cattrall, same rooms.

Just out of curiosity, have you had the discussion with Kate yet about how many embies you're putting back? I've been told 1 and only 1, no further discussion! And it will be a 2 day transfer, which I think if pretty common at MIVF.

I hope the 200iu does the trick for you quickly and you get to EPU before you know it

Hey Darily,
    How funny, same rooms, it is a small world.
    At our initial appointment we discussed the idea of putting 2 in with the nurse and she said to email Kate about it which I did. Kate's response was that she also recommends one but said she is willing to discuss the prospect of 2 with us at the next appointment. I think ours is a 2 day transfer also. Yeah I am hoping that 200 does the trick the less time I have to take puergon the better. In regards to the synarel I have been experiencing really bad leg cramps and muscle soreness in my back and legs- does anyone know if this is related to the synarel in anyway? Have also had a couple of headaches and a weird stitch like pain in my left side since yesterday, don't know if it is anything to be concerned about or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast