Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Melbourne IVF - my first cycle

Quote Originally Posted by buliej View Post
    Hi
    I started my first IVF cycle - the "flare cycle". Today (Tues, 19 Aug) I had my first scan and the FS said that she saw 2 follicles. I don't know if this is good, bad or average (I'm 41 - will be 42 in Dec). She also upped my gonal F dosage from 375 to 450 and had me schedule a scan on Friday. I'm wondering what to expect for the remainder of the cycle assuming they can complete the entire cycle. I've read all literature, but it still doesn't give me an idea of what to expect ...only when to make my next appointment & who to call...nor do I have a clue as to whether seeing 2 follicles is OK. I know my dr wants to implant 2 embryos if we have the option of doing so.

Also, I asked the FS whether there would be any flexibility in terms of the date of the follicle extraction, and the FS said "yes, that there are a few days where it would be fine" but after reading the forums it seems that the answer is "no, there is a specific time that is best - and we won't know when that is until the next scan...or the one after that". This has left me confused. I'm a planner (always have been) and I find very hard to manage all this uncertainty.
    Hi Buliej, There is some flexibility but this might be limited depending your follicle size and estrogen level. In my last cycle we aimed for EPU to be on Tuesday and we almost had to change it because my estrogen level was very high and my FS was concerned that I would ovulate naturally. In the end he reduced my meds and then I had the pick up on Tuesday as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by buliej View Post
    Also, should one stop having any wine while in the follicle growth phase - should this be treated the same as being pregnant or possibly being pregnant (meaning - no wine, alcohol etc.) or is it ok to have 1 or 2 glasses with lunch once a week? (I don't plan on drinking anything while pregnant - or while possibly pregnant). Also, someone mentioned that I should give up coffee (I have 1 a day) now and not wait to give it up. This was news to me...

I know this is rambling...but replies would be greatly appreciated.
    Keeping healthy is always good because it prepares our body to receive and keep the baby. I have been taking vitamins (folate and others) since I started IVF (and it had been a very long time)

Buliej,
    I stopped drinking while on IVF. I wanted to give it every chance to work. I stil drank coffee. (1 a day) The OPU can be done within the range of about 48 hours so there is some flexibility there. Who is your FS. The one I had I could call her and ask these little niggly type questions and she was great and explaining all the in's and outs.Hope it all goes well and you get bub in arms soon.

Thanks for the replies. My dr is Julie Whitehead she works with Melbourne IVF. I know I should ask her these questions but I'm never that clear headed when in her office and they all occur to me after I leave. I may write them down in advance next time.

Hi Buliej,
    I'm also with Julie at MIVF and have found her to be great. We have been seeing her for almost 12 months now, and I know from experience that it is always ok to ring her and ask her those questions that you have forgotten in the appointments - I know I have!

In terms of what to stop during a cycle - when I've asked Julie she has been pretty level headed - everything in moderation - just try and stay healthy - she has never advised me to cut out the odd glass of wine, and although I have reduced my coffee intake - that has been my choice. I am trying to improve my diet by eating low GI and limiting refined sugar - Julie thought that was a good approach. But if in doubt ask Julie - she will be able to provide you with advice specific to you and that can only help to put your mind at ease!

Once the transfer has occured, the nurses will advise that you act as if you are pg - so no to drinking, reduce tea/coffee etc - they will give you a little pamphlet to read with all the do's and donts - plus there is some good info on the Vic Better Health Channel website (Vic Govt health web site).

Good luck with it all.
    FG

Thanks again for the replies. There will be no glasses of wine for a while anyway since my pick-up (I do not have these abbreviations down) is M or Tues. I'll probably abstain from coffee as well for a month - and then go back to a cup of decaf on alternate days (I'm not a huge drinker of either wine or coffee but do enjoy both every now & again - thus my questions). I told my husband he should temporarily stop coffee and he laughed and said he'll try to keep it to just 1x a day - and that this would be a big sacrifice...hmmm...

Also - great to hear your positive experiences with Dr. Julie W. - I find her bedside manner very nice as well.

Good luck for your pick up and wishing you all the best for this cycle

Thank you - I'm quite nervous.

hi Buliej and Farmgirl,
    I just wanted to pop in and say I really, really hope things are going well for both of you, and I am glad this thread I started some time ago is helpful.

I hope there is some good news soon. Miracles do happen, as I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. It was from a fresh cycle where I had only 5 eggs collected, and only 1 little darling survived to become fertilised - and he/she is right with me now kicking away in my tummy!! So it really only takes the right one, the right time. During the 2 week wait, I just continued my normal routine of running,cycling and swimming but I did not drink (as I don't normally anyway) and I drank hot/cold chocolate (don't drink coffee).

I will never forget however just how hard it was many days being on IVF - the lows were hard and this forum helped a lot.

My fingers are crossed and my best wishes are out there for you all...

Thanks runnermum for your kind words of inspiration. I'm glad to hear that your pg is going well and wish you well for the remaining few months. It is sometimes all too easy to get caught up in the sadness and grief that we forget that the positive do happen - they just sometimes take time.

thanks runnermom - your timing is great. I just got home from my pick-up and am a bit down because this time there were only 3 eggs - last time I had 4 (and 3 fertilized). But hearing that you got a BFP from just 1 (which I know in my head is all you need, but 3 sounds like so few eggs) is welcome news.

Hi Buliej,
    Just read your pick up results - 3 eggs is still really good and they will fertilise well as they did last time. Sending you (and your embies to be) lots of positive thoughts.

Take care of yourself for the rest of the day and hope that you get some great news regarding numbers for your transfer.
    FG

Hi Buliej and Farmgirl,

Just wanted to pop in and wish you good luck. I'll have my first cycle in October so in the same boat. I am with Sydney IVF.

Sara

thanks Farmgirl...

Redlady - hope to see you in the tww in the near future

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234