Thread: PDG Testing (FISH) - anyone know anything and costs

waiting1 Guest

Default PDG Testing (FISH) - anyone know anything and costs

My regular doctor is away and I am heading toward my 5th FET so 6th transfer.
    I have 2 frozen left. I spoke to my doctors wife - also a FS. She has put me down for the waiting list for PGD or FISH.
    Has anyone had it?
    What are the success rates like?
    What are the costs and is any rebatable under the safety net?
    If anyone has had it I would be really interested in finding out some more.

Hi

Can you explain what you mean by PGD and FISH, just want to check it is the same thing that i know the acronyms as.

PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis): process by which a fertilised egg (egg plus sperm) is grown to 8 cell stage, and then one cell is removed and genetically tested for a known mutation.

FISH (fluorescent in situ hybridisation): a cytogenetic technique that uses probes (coloured bits of specific artificial DNA sequence) that will bind to their mirror image of DNA within a cell.
    FISH is used with CVS/amniocentesis to give the early results using probes for the X and Y chromosomes (to tell gender) and chromosomes 13, 18 and 21 (to check if the baby has more than the usual 2 copies of each.

HAve you or your partner had genetic tests that have shown you to have unusual chromosome arrangements?

cheers,

kate

it was my understanding that you need to have at least 3 failed EPU cycles and or 3 MC in order for your FS to recomend PGD?

Quote Originally Posted by pitapata View Post
    it was my understanding that you need to have at least 3 failed EPU cycles and or 3 MC in order for your FS to recomend PGD?
    This is correct & FWIW, there is no waiting list for PGD. I was planning on doing PGD, but have decided to go a different path.

PGD is around $3000 per cycle extra & is not claimable on Medicare.

The first cycle is only experimental & it is said the you should be pg within 3 fresh cycles (not including FETs). You may have just had a bad batch of embryos. It does happen.

Have you had further testing? Lap/Hysto/Dye, ANA, etc? (Just checked your history & I don't think you have).

You have only been TTC since June 2007 & have only had one stim cycle. With less than 12mths TTC, I wouldn't jump into PGD without trying everything first. Try a second cycle. That's JMHO.

HTH

Bat.
    Last edited by Batcoat; April 10th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.

The fact that all your frosties survived the thaw and were transferred suggests that PGD may not be the whole answer for you. Failure to thaw is always a good sign that the embryo had issues to begin with, studies looking at embryos that dont thaw almost always pick up a chromosmal problem. the fact that yours are thawing and getting to transfer stage is a good sign. Have you spoken to your FS about getting the "oven" checked out in more detail.... lap/hysto/dye etc and also reproductive immunology. I would be checking all those out first before spending thousands on PGD.

We are in the PGD/FISH programme but only because we have had multiple miscarriages. At our centre it is $3000 extra each cycle on top of the normal IVF and/ICSI fees and non of that is rebatable so it is very expensive.

mel - i have been advised to do PGD with our next round of eggs collected. However i have a good number of eggs that fertilised well and grow to blasties and have been thawing at 100% - still my FS recommended this option as he said you really cannot tell unless this is done!!!

For example
    Last cycle
    26 eggs collected
    23 fertilised
    12 blasties all frozen
    so far i have thawed four at 100% for two tf and had one BFP which mc.

this all came about as i suggested to him the meds that i was on with another FS recommendation might have just worked but this is when he threw this at me saying that my problem is chromosomal!!!and i questioned him to why he was saing that given my thaw results and amount that get to blasties!

I still believe that my issue is implantation and hope to find an answer soon
    Last edited by Loula; April 12th, 2008 at 10:44 AM.