Thread: seeking advice re doctors at Westmead Fertility Centre

ER Jordan Guest

Default seeking advice re doctors at Westmead Fertility Centre

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, so please forgive me if I get abreviations etc wrong.

Can anyone recommend a doctor at Westmead Fertility Centre who is highly skilled & is also compassionate, caring and listens to what his/her patients have to say?

In 2005, I had my son prematurely at 25 weeks because of chorioamnionitis. I'd been on bed rest and in & out of hospital because of bleeding since week 20. My ob/gyn told me - after my son was born - that the most likely cause was that my placenta had started to lift, and that this had set up the "perfect environment" for infection to set in - hence the chorioamnionitis & premature birth.

My little boy lived for 15 days. He had been doing really well, but got very sick on day 10 &tests showed he had ecoli meningitis. The was nothing that the doctors could do, and on day 15 he died in my arms.

Fast forward 3 years (of hell) - and as terrified as I am of history repeating itself, I am finally ready to try to have another baby. Problem is, I will be 38 in 2 days and time is not on my side!! And I have a few other factors against me as well. I am overweight, and it doesnt seem to matter how much I modify my diet or how much I exercise, I dont seem to be able to lose any weight. I am on metformin because I am insulin resistant & have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. And for the trifecta - I have high blood pressure and am on medication for that as well.

My ob/gyn tested my progesterone levels late last year and it was low at only 5 (he said it needed to be 25 - 30). He started me on Clomid, 50mg from day 5-9, tested my progesterone again at day 21 and it had dropped - to 0.5!!!!! So he upped the dose to 100mg, but my most recent blood test shows my progesterone is still only 3.

So now he's recommending ivf.........but I dont know which doctor I should try for. Any advice you can give me would be great - and even better, if anyone has had similar problems as me & had success with ivf, it would be good to hear your story too.

Thanks,
    ER Jordan

Hi,we went through Westmead fertility centre, and i saw Dr Howard Smith (the best Dr IMO!!!) he was straight to the point and was also compassionate.
    But keep in mind to book 3 months ahead of wanting to start a cycle.
    I couldn't have asked for a better clinic and a better Dr.
    Good luck!!

Lightbulb

Hi there ER Jordon,

I saw Dr Howard Smith as well some years ago,mainly due to the fact IVF,was a consideration in future pg`s for us,due to us having a child with a terminal genectic disorder.....long story,but I found him to very good,kind ,compassionate,worked through any questions one at a time.He was very understanding and Dh and I both liked him. You need a referal though,and like Katones said,there is a wait to se him.

Your story bought tears to my eye`s ER Jordan I hope everything works out for you hun. Good luck.

Katones- I found Dr Howard Smith,very easy going and straight forward...but he has a very pleasant demeaner,he`s a lovely Doctor.

you will need a referral for both you & your DH...and a pelvic U/S done prior to seeing the Drs there now. We are looking at starting again in January

We also saw Dr Smith and would highly recommend him. He took the time at appts to listen and explain procedures. Very up to date with new research too.
    Good luck with your journey.

Hi there, Dh + i went through Dr Melhem, she was absolutly wonderful!! down to earth and took time to explain everything to both of us, also would always return my call should i have any queries and call her rooms. She was even funny!!!
    Unfortunatly Westmead IVF Have a policy stating that you BMI has to be under 40.0, im dieting like crazy (mine is currently 41.9!!) ready for when there is a place in the next cycle intake!!
    Good luck and God Bless
    Krissy

i have NEVER heard about the BMI part of it..and i have had 1 successful cycle there and am going back January next year. And i am a size 18/20 And nobody checked my BMI...and i have already spoken to the nurses and to Dr Smith about another cycle..the only pre-requisite they have told me to get done is a new pelvic U/S and new blood work done.

Katones: Dr Melhem told me on my first visit that i will not be accepted by westmead IVF if my BMI is over 40, I havent had the opportuntity to ask the nurses as the cycles have been full so far.
    Just sharing my experience.

maybe it is your Drs choice in things..BUT i know for a fact Dr Smith whom i have recently spoken with did not mention it at all and only told me what i had to do prior to starting on our next cycle. Maybe because i have already had the one successful cycle?? and the fact that nothing medically is stopping me getting pregnant just the fact i was 'sterilised' when i was in my previous marriage and it is not reversable.

Hello,

Myself and My husband go through IVF at westmead. We are at the one not attached to the hospital.

We see Doctor Tillee, he is a very very nice doctor who has answered all our questions. We are currently on the waiting list for donor sperm. We have been told it will be 18 months.

But as far as a Fertility clinic we are happy with our choice and doctor so far.

sincerley
    redlady