thread: Surgery to investigate

Jan 2006
    Sunny Perth

Surgery to investigate

We were told by FS that if this round didn't work, then I should have surgery to investigate whats going on (most likely implantation problem). Our 6th round just failed and we are now waiting for our review appt so I don't quite know what the surgery involves yet.

Anyone have any ideas or has had surgery to found out more? I have already previously had hysteroscopy to flush tubes etc.

Thanks

May 2009
    Brisbane

The procedure in which tubes can be "flushed" is a HSG (a type of x-ray), not a hysteroscopy. A hysteroscopy just involves a camera being inserted, whereas with the HSG your uterus is filled with dye (and the dye is observed passing through the tubes). Could it be the HSG you are meaning?

I'm guessing the surgery is probably a laparoscopy. That is used to diagnose endo and also identify a number of physical impediments to pregnancy. I had one in 2010. We changed to a new FS after 4 failed IVF (plus 1 FET) and when our new FS did the lap I was diagnosed with stage III endo (which I had long suspected, but our first FS refused to do the lap to investigate it). We did our 5th IVF 2 months later and that gave us DD. I'm convinced the lap is the reason that IVF worked. I also had a hysteroscopy done at the same time. I'm actually booked to have another laparoscopy and hysteroscopy in early August because my endo symptoms have returned.

If your Dr is recommending a lap, I have a page of suggestions on my blog for making the recovery a little easier. I'm also happy to answer any questions about my experience last time.

Have you had any testing done for clotting or immune issues? That's another area to investigate, although some Drs don't "believe" in it.

Jan 2006
    Sunny Perth

Thank you for the info juniper76. Yes it must have been HSG because I did have the dye. I am pretty sure I already had laparoscopy with it aswell because they did find a little bit of endo at the time. This was in Dec 2008 so maybe it's a good thing for me to have again.

They have said I don't have the killer cells or immune issues. There is some problem with implantation but its got me stumped!

May 2009
    Brisbane

The laparoscopy is a surgery (ie with general anaesthetic), so it's not something you tend to forget in a hurry. It's the only way endo can be officially diagnosed, so if you've been diagnosed it sounds like you have had one. Unfortunately, endo does grow back for many women, so needing a repeat lap is always a possibility. The rate at which it grows back varies widely though. From what I've read, even a little endo can cause enough inflammation to interfere with implantation, so getting that under control is a great place to start.

FX for a sticky BFP for you soon.