Thread: 11 Miscarriages and we're still holding together!

WickDGem Guest

Wink 11 Miscarriages and we're still holding together!

My husband and I, if it were not for the love we have between us, would definitely have been broken by now, with everything we have been through over the last 8 years and 11 miscarriages!
    In 1997 we lost our first baby, a little boy, at 25 weeks. His heart was not developing properly and he passed away 6 minutes after he was born. In 1998 we started trying again. I started taking Folic Acid and exercising, whilst changing our eting habits. I thought it would all just happen for us. Three miscarrigaes later and we went to seek professional help in 2000.
    Our first Gyno told us it may just take more time, so we went to see Ruth Sharky, a Naturopath on the Gold Coast. We had just gotten married. We did everything she said, took the tonics and drank herbal teas till I turned green, and still had another two miscarriages during those 12 months.
    Back to the Gyno in 2001 and he placed me on Chlomid for 6 months to try and regulate my periods, which by this time had stopped completely. We waited these 6 months until we tried to conceive again, which I did. This time we went through to 15 weeks before losing this one. After this, I took a much needed break from meds and Dr’s, it all got the better of me and my husband, no matter how hard he tried, just couldn’t understand.
    In 2003 we decided to stay away from dr’s but look after ourselves, see another naturopath and see how we go. I lost 5kgs and fell pregnant with twins. At 13 weeks I went for my ultrasound and their little hearts were beating! We lost them the very next day, I was devastated. I went to counselling after this time and was placed on anti-depressants for 3 months. I was told to cease other medications and let these run their course.
    In 2004 we moved from our friends and family out west. We started seeing another Dr, who seemed to know what he was talking about about and diagnosed me with PCOS, by this stage my weight had ballooned by nearly 20kgs! In 1997 I was 78kgs, I was now tipping the mid 90’s. This move was a great benefit to our marriage, we spent a lot more time together and we were able to work one job each, not three or four, and still be able to put aside a bit of money. I was put back onto Chlomid and finally the weight, and the periods started evening out. I felt like someone had prescribed me happy pills! We lost two babies over the next two years, but we had a different view of the whole thing, we didn’t tell anyone, and we just silently hoped things would work out, but if they didn’t we were still going to be ok. That is exactly what happened.
    Early 2006 we decided to move back to NSW to be closer to family. My brother in law had just had two children and our sisters had gotten engaged. So we came home. At this stage we had come to the conclusion that we were not meant to have a family, we went to counselling and after a short period of time we came around to the idea and started investigating adoption.
    My Mum was not convinced, se researched an ex IVF Dr from Sydney who had just moved to the area, and she paid for me to go and see him. After an hours consultation I walked out crying and my husband held me and was grinning from ear to ear, there was still hope! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. 6 months later I have lost 7 kgs and suffered another miscarriage, but I now know, until my sugar levels, weight and state of mind have all been treated, this is the way it is going to go.
    Love my husband, love myself and be happy, great things will follow! I have now been taking metformin and chlomid for 4 months, and so far things have begun to settle down, including my moods! Our Dr is still very positive and I have another appointment with him in May. One day we will have the baby we have been dreaming of, I am now more than ever, certain of it!

If anyone has a story, or any questions they would like to share, please feel free, it wasn’t until my best friend put me onto this website that I realised help is out there! xxx

Last edited by WickDGem; April 2nd, 2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: bloody spelling!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Hi WDG and welcome to BB.

I am so sorry to hear of the losses of your precious babies. There is so much support from the caring women here on BB, I'm sure you will find some strength and hope in them. You have a great attitude and give off wonderful positive vibes!

Wow you poor things. Im sorry for you and DH. I cant imagin what you both went through. Life can be so unfair some times. You seem very strong and I wish you and DH all the luck in the world. Ill be praying for you to get that BFP real soon and to carry to full term without any problems.

Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe post this in the TTC thread. There are lots of us there TTC and heaps of ladies to talk too.

Be strong hun.

Hi WickDGem
    Welcome to BB! This website is awesome
    I am so sorry about your losses but am inspired by your attitude!
    I wish you all the very best.
    SAM

I am so sorry for all your losses. Your positive attitude is incredible. I think a lot of us in here could learn a thing or two from you.

Wow what an inspiration your attitude is, both you and your Dh sound like truly amazing people

Thank you so much for sharing your story and I am so sorry for everything you have been through

Wow, you've been through so much and your story made me cry. I've been through one mc only and it was so difficult, I admire your strength for all you've been through and for your amazing attitude now. I wish you well on your journey and I really hope you finally get your much longed for baby.

Hi WDG

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your losses...you guys truly sound inspirational and amazing...

I truly hope that wonderful solutions are found to enable you to fulfill what is a much deserved dream.

Monnie.

Oh, I just can't believe what you have been through, but your attitude is so fantastic.

I am sitting here crying at my desk because after 2 m/cs, no kids and now a chem pg, I feel like it will never happen for us, and despite what you have been through, you are still so positive. I really need to be so much stronger like you are.

What other tests have you had? Did they do chromosomal tests, clotting panels, checking uterus for fibroids, etc? I am going through all that testing now, but so far nothing has shown up.

I really need faith to keep on going, so thank you so much for showing me that you can still think positively even after such devastating losses.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

I will be thinking of you and hoping that you get the little bub you so deserve,

Bun xx

Hi ...
    I'm so sorry for your all your heartbreak...i just want to take you & hug you !
    My little sister just gave birth 2 weeks ago to what I call the miracle child... she has severe PCOS & hadn't had a period in 3 years , went on metformin for a short while & lost a couple of kilos but then was a bit slack and fell back into some old habit's... brought a new car got a brand new apartment & mortgage started a new job and BANG ! Pregnant.We will probably never know why she fell pregnant and she still has alot of the symptoms of PCOS !BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THE HOW & WHY I'm just so happy to be holding this little boy!
    I have unexplained infertility & have failed for 10 years to even fall pregnant, so I know how much of a miracle this child is ! NEVER give up hope....
    ps. on the lighter side...seeing my first real live birth has scared me a bit...OUCH!
    Sending hugs,love & my very best wishes xoxoxox
    cheeky

WickDGem Guest

Bun, yes we have been through a lot of testing. Chromosomal, sperm, antibodies, blood glucose (a major one which a lot of people dont think of) fibroids, lupus. All came up clear, except blood glucose. As i said I have type 2 diabetes, and too much sugar, natural or additional can actually kill your ovum. Its something to think about
    thanks for all of your feedback, I will definitely keep reporting any changes.
    Cheers
    Shan

Hi WGM,

Thanks again for your posts - you are truly an inspiration. My dr did suspect a blood glucose problem - PCOS or diabetes, but my bloodwork he ordered for this came back fine - actually, he said my insulin is fantastic. The only testing I still have to do is cycle tracking this month, and I also haven't had an endometrial biopsy and hysto-something, that is supposed to show problems with the uterus, although I have had a scan and it all looked fine. So, there is really not much for them to find.

The next step for me may be clomid, to try and get the hormones a boost.

I really do hope that it will work out for you in the end. it does look like you really are on the right path now and have a dr looking after you who knows what is going on and what you need to do.

Do definitely keep us updated with your progress, and I look forward to hearing about your successful pregnancy and beautiful bub in the near future!!

Bun xx