Thread: 1st Embryo Transfer - help

Smile 1st Embryo Transfer - help

Hi - Thought I would try here for some support. Fortunately we have made it to our first transfer!! We have had 9 fertilise but need to wait nervously until tomorrow to find out what sort of quality they are.

I have a couple of questions..

Embryo grading - how does it work, what do they look for?
    What level do they discard / not transfer?
    Will ET hurt? (I'm still quite tender from OPU)

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on a great OPU Smudge!

I am not sure exactly how they grade the embryos. In very general terms, they look for good progress in cell division.

Transfer doesn't hurt at all. It's very quick and painless and you are out of there in five minutes. Best of luck ... I hope you get a great result from this.

How exciting Smudge, 9 fertilized and I think that's a great result!!

I won't be too much help here but just want to wish you best of luck for tomorrow as I have been reading your posts...and following your progress...

I am in a similar situation as you but just a bit behind ...its day 6 for me on Purengon (my 1st IVF cycle), so anxiously waiting for EPU date...did that really hurt that much? Ouch!

Anyway, have a good sleep tonight and I will cross my fingers and toes for you for a high number of quality embies tomorrow...

Sammi Jane Guest

Hi Smudge,

They look for normal cell division. Mine were only graded A or B but in the end I didn't even ask what grade they were. The one they transferred the nurse said was a 'star embryo'!

Good luck today. I hope you've got at least 1 good quality embie to transfer - that's all you really need! The transfer isn't too bad. It's slightly more uncomfortable than a pap smear but it's over so quickly. I felt a bit sore afterwards but only for a little while.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks so much Melbel, Bei Bei and Sammi

Transfer all done..1 emby safe and sound. Yowsa's!! I knew I was alive! The Dr geared everthing up and then decided she used the incorrect 'tools' or something and undid everything to go again! Thankfully have felt fine since

Bei Bei, apologies I hope I didn't frighten you, the OPU itself was ok, didn't feel or remember a twitch and woke up looking for food and trying to get out of my bed to find DH. lol
    It was later that afternoon that I really felt it, but remember that everyone is different, just like Melbel with the transfer. Some are probably just a bit more brave than me!

Congrats again Sammi - how inspirational!

Well done Smudge...like Sammi said, one good emby is enough..hope this is it!!

So what's next? TWW?

Don't know when my EPU is, could be sometime next week, I am on day 7 today and it seems all tracking well, so hopefully I will be soon like you, just sit back and waiting for good news...

Take care and will be checking on you....

Good luck smudge - yep all you need is one good embie. I soooo have everything crossed for you - hate the two week wait from hell - i think this is the hardest part - the waiting - sending you lots of sticky vibes and a big &

YAY and good luck for the TTW

Thank you thank you for the best wishes..

One question: My OPU was Tue and transfer was Thu, when 'should' implant occur? I never thought of this!

I've heard implantation occurs on Day 2-3 for a Day 5 embie if you had a Day 2, 3 or 4 implanted you will add more days to that. Yes, very exciting !! The one great thing about doing IVF is that it is less than the normal 2ww so we don't have to wait as long. Sounds great too having 8 snow babies !!

Congrats Smudge!! Have an easy 2ww.

By the way, my doctor is Dr. Ts.al.tas

Did you see your doctor at all during the process? I haven't! And my pickup and transfer will fall over Easter so I won't see him for those either.