Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 wk u/s - small baby & weak heartbeat - any sucess?

Default 7 wk u/s - small baby & weak heartbeat - any sucess?

Dear ladies,

I guess there are a lot of sucess stories out there, but just wondering if anyone has pulled through this before:

I had an ultrascan on Tuesday afternoon (7 wks 4 days) and it showed that the baby is a little too small (measured 6 wks 1 day) and has a weak heartbeat. The doctor said he was pretty sure the heartbeat will stop over the next week. I have to go in next Tuesday for another ultrasound.

Has anyone has this before, and if so, what was the outcome? I'm praying, pleading and bargaining with God to help my little one grow ... but all the while trying to ensure I don't get my hopes up too much.

Thanks, Kristy

I have no experience with this, but I just wanted to let you know that I read this and am thinking of you at this time. May peace be with you as you walk through the next week

hi Kristy,

last year i had a scan when i was almost 8 weeks, baby was measuring only 6 weeks and had a slow heartbeat (68), at the time they told me i had my dates wrong but i knew i definitely didn't, a week later i started to bleed and m/c the pregnancy.

sorry this probably isn't the story you were hoping for........how high was your baby's heartbeat ?

i hope you are one of success stories, sending you big hugs

Thanks ladybirdflies.

minniemouse - the FS didn't measure the heartbeat - just said it was weak. I guess I'm just praying for a miracle - a little fighter!

lets hope you have a fighter on your hands. thinking of you. xxx

M2B all babies start with a slow or weak HB, when i had my scan at 6 weeks somthing the HB was 110 (i think) i rang my GF and she first said to me well that HB is really slow, she called back later to say sorry, but i already checked and the HB will increase as the baby develops.

are you booked in for another scan?

Thinking of you x

Thanks everyone. I'm booked in next Tuesday for another scan. I think that between now and then I'm hoping that my bub will have grown LOTS and the heart will have started beating strongly.

All these thoughts go through my head like - "I wonder if the embryo implanted later than normal, like late in the second week" or "maybe the baby was at a different angle and that was why it 'seemed' so small". But then I just wonder if I'm building my hopes up too much ... I guess being positive gives this baby a better chance than if I was negative.

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

My baby was measuring 5 weeks and 3 days at 6 weeks and 1 day, and had a heartrate of 80-83. Stupid technician told me there was a high chance of miscarriage as I'd already had some bleeding (it turned out that I lost a twin). I had some cramping a few days later and got a scan at the hospital, baby was all caught up (had grown from 2mm to 6mm) and heartrate was 120. In the early stages, the presence or absence of a heartbeat is more important than how slow/fast it is. The angle can make a big difference and early measurements are generally + or - 5 days anyway. They're looking for a heartbeat in something the size of a grain of rice, there's going to be mistakes. I had another scan at 11 weeks and Tiger was measuring just fine and jumping away in my belly. It can work out ok, out of all the women that go through a scare - some may lose their baby but there will ALWAYS be others who get good news. Trust that you'll get good news.

Hi mum-2-be, I haven't been through this either, but I thought I'd add that bub's heart only starts beating around 6 weeks sometimes a little earlier sometimes later (we had an u/s for DS at 6 weeks something which showed no heartbeat, went back a week later and it was around 150-160). If your bub is measuring 6 weeks 1 day then it's quite possible that your little ones heart has only just started beating and is just getting warmed up.

I hope you dont mind me sending you a very quiet, tentative congratulations. I hope everything goes well at your next scan there is hope.

**disclaimer: I dont know very much, this is just from my limited experience.

Thanks for everyones comments - it really does help. As I said above, my mind is working overtime to try and 'explain' the small baby. The latest was last night in the wee hours!! My new through was that as I had 2 embryos put in (ivf) maybe 2 took, but only 1 kept going. So, the same as Kitfaeie.

Its great to be able to talk about this - otherwise I think I'd go insane! Anyway, not long now till the outcome is here - 3 more sleeps (but am I ready for the outcome???)

Kristy.

Hi. Just to update - I just saw spotting.

Still hoping not, but it may be just as FS had warned.

awwww, hugs to you....

sorry you are going through this scary time. I hope you get some firm answers soon, as not all spotting in pregnancy means a miscarriage

trav
    xx

's

Sweetie, I am so sorry you're having to go through this. My fingers are crossed for you that the spotting is normal and the US tomorrow will show bub healthy and kicking!!

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

Are you cramping or just spotting? Praying for you xo

Thanks Ladies,

KitFaerie - At this stage, just spotting (*TMI - it is dark brown spotting). Although yesterday I did have a couple of cramps (not bad ones though - so more a couple of pains).

Mum-2-Be- I had dark brown spotting at 8 weeks and again at 10 weeks. Scared the $%#@ out of me but US's at 6 and 13 weeks showed a completely healthy bub. The OB told me that the bleeding may have been from a ruptured capillary. Apparently that can happen when the placenta is forming. I was told that if I wasn't having pain then I shouldn't be too worried.

fingers crossed babe
    xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast