Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acupunture and Number of eggs collected

Default Acupunture and Number of eggs collected

Hi Ladies,

Have any of you ladies had acupunture while on IVF and have noticed an increase to egg quality and number of eggs collected while on acupunture. I am on my 5th cycle and am seeing an acupunturist today for the first time. I have never had a lot of eggs collected and never had any fertilized eggs reach Blastocyst stage, so am wondering if any of you had success with the number of eggs collected and reaching Balstocyst stage through IVF and acupunture.

Any help would be appreciated.

xx

Hi Max

Just thought I'd give you a run down of my cycles so you could see the difference.... I know my levels of stims were changed, too, but I truly believe that the acupuncture made a huge impact.

IVF #1 - (150iu) 5 eggs collected, 3 fertilise, none to transfer as they didn't progress past 8 cell.
    No Acupuncture.

IVF #2 - (225iu) 8 eggs collected, 5 fertlise, 1 transferred at day 5 - should have been a blast but only got to morula and was not doing much... AF 3 days after transfer.
    No Acupuncture.

IVF #3 - (350iu... I think?!! I know it was over 325!) 18 eggs collected, 11 fertilised, 7 immature.
    2 Blasts transferred at day 5 - One morula they considered freezing but didn't... the rest didn't do much after 8 cell, 2 got to morula but weren't suitable for freezing.
    AF arrived day before BT.
    No Acupuncture.

IVF #4 - (375iu... I think??!!! Can't remember exactly but I know it was ridiculously high!)
    18 eggs collected, 11 fertlised, 1 abnormal, 6 immature.
    2 hatching blasts transferred at day 5 - Scientist at the clinic said they were the 2 most developed embryos he had ever seen in his career so far.
    All of the others reached morula (big improvement on the last 3 cycles), still a mystery as to why none of them were frozen, which is why we will use another clinic next time!
    Acupuncture weekly, and before and after EPU and transfer.

The scientist said that all of the embryos on this cycle were a massive improvement on all of the other 3 cycles... and that the egg quality was a million times better, too.
    I still didn't get a BFP, but my issues are mainly due to my lining and getting the embies to stick, as I caught a major infection after my emergency c/s with Luke, which is actually the reason that I have to have ivf now.
    The acupuncture also helped with my lining - this cycle was the only one that I reached the full 2ww without AF coming early - and I'm positive its because the acupunture helped the lining thicken and stay in place.

SO!!!
    Hope all of my dribble helped you!
    Still waiting on my BFP, but at least we know that our egg quality and lining issues have been dramatically helped through the acupuncture - we just have to wait for it to happen now!

Very best of luck with your cycle #5 - Looks like we may be going again after Christmas... and it will be our cycle #5 as well!
    Maybe it will be the lucky one for us both

xxx

Thanks so much Holly for the info. It does help me lots. I am in a similar boat as you. The drugs keeps going higher and higher.

It brought tears to my eyes when I saw you name and the messgae under it "All I Want From Santa Is A BFP!!!".....oooohhhhh...I hope you do get it very soon....it will be the best Xmas present ever for all of us.

xx

Trixie Guest

Default Trixie

Hi Holly and Max,
    Well I have finally decided to post after 4failed IVF including ICSI plus 2 natural conceptions plus three misscarrages and two D and C's plus two frozen egg transfers both failed. Also just had four frozen eggs not make the thaw process so needless to say am going again for number five. Also found out that I have some antibodies which maybe why the embryos dont take...so I have to take asprin and clexane after the implant. So i guess the accupt thing and more needles is aaarrgghh. I did do acup one cycle but who knows and it was an hr and a bit drive away so hard to get to. and I felt stressed me out a bit having to get there etc. anyway I support what ever makes you feel good and positive as we know that doesnt always come easily. I just read an article that sumes some of it up to about Ultrasund avoidance and fear..ie I dream about what a positive Us would actually feel like???? I too am asking Santa for a Positive heart beat for xmas hope he has a few stashed away.
    Trixie (my nickname from my Dad.) and DH
    just getting the hang of the lingo!!!hug:

Trixie Guest

PS it is great to see people in NSW it almost feels alot more like home....hope you dont mind me joining in.
    MOre about me 35 DH 38 TTC three years.....everyone in the world we know has had babies , at least one, in this time and have run out of people trying.... as you will prob. know.
    can I ask a question do you tell people you are going through IVF???

Hi Trixie,

Welcome to the club. You will find so much information and help on this forum. I am on my 5th cycle also. I have egg pick up tomorrow.

I am having acupunture this cyle...I can't say that it relaxs me, as I don't feel any different after the session, but I hope it is doing me wonders inside. My acupunturist is excellent, very nice lady and easy to get along with. Not sure if this helps, but I haven't got any more extra follicles then the last cycle, so acupunture didn't increase the number of follicles in my case for this cycle, but lets see what happens tomorrow. Let see how many eggs are retrieved tomorrow, and how many fertilise. My problem is low number of eggs and fertilisation. I have never ever got to Blastocyst stage (day 5), so that is my aim this time. Lets hope the acupunture has made the eggs quality better.

I will let you know how I go.

In regards to telling everybody, I have told my family and my husbands family, so they are a bit understanding. My boss at work also knows as she knows how desperately I want kids as I am alsways all over her kids when they come into work.

I do also hope that Santa is generous to us ladies and gives us what we want so much for Xmas. That will be the best present ever.

Take care and speak to you soon. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Trixie Guest

Hi Max,
    So sorry for not getting back on the site yesterday but am ina shared office on Wednesday. Anyway all my wishes for you tody hope all goes well.... I always take a packet of jubes for recovery much better than the snadwiches they try to feed you. Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong heheheheh.
    My DH and I have also told out families and a few close friends. I have worked on my own until recently so no work people know but I must say I have been visiting the "accountant" alot.... that is my main excuse for running off. I have had heaps of presure from my inlaws to tell entended family as they keep asking when we are having kids...you would know the story..and I say just say when the time is right and besides unfortunatly we have on major gossip in the family and I really dont want her knowing and then people coming into my work knowing....as work is a bit of my safe haven at the moment. I know they mean well but sometimes it is hard to get them to understand...esp as they had four kids exactly as planned as to have my four sister inlaws...who are very supportive. I went through a stage early on that I just didnt want to answer the phone as every time I did it was someone else telling us they were pregnant which was absolutly fantstic and we are really happy for all of them but it was a hard time..... I have moved on from there as they are all onto their second or third and well hopefully we can get all thier second hand gear!!!
    So I am rambling. Please let me know how you go and also if your accup. lady knows anyone in Wollongong as I struggle to get time to travel else ware running my own business....but I feel like I am winging sorry.
    Well enough of that you go girl and hope to chat soon. Thanks again nice to have someone to chat to.

Oh as far as the accupture... I did it once for a froxzen cycle but the travel was killing me so I dont know if it was worth it...plus I am lucky in the fact that I get plenty of eggs but only 2-7 progress and then well obviously none continue on. we have got to US twice but both showed no HB and had to have D and C do you know if accupunture helps with the lining??? But again my linning is normally a good thickness...who knows ...lets hope SAnta does!

Thanks and all my wishes are with you today..

Trixie.

Last edited by amber; March 8th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Hi Amber and Trixie,

Egg pickup yesterday went okay, but I was so dissapointed. They only picked 5 eggs and out of that only 3 were mature, so now I am wondering if accupunture did help me. Sorry to sound so negative, but I was wishing for a few more eggs so my changes are increased.

Anyway lets see what the phone call today tells me, the nurse will ring up to tell me how many eggs fertilised overnight. I am hoping all 3 have fertilised. I know you only need one, but is so hard to think positive at the moment, I just feel so miserable and down. I know I have to snap out of it.

Sorry to have a nag ladies. I am sure you understand how I feel. Anyway it is the weekend tomorrow, so that is something good to look at.

I will let you know this afternoon, how many eggs fertilised.

xx

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

max,

I didn't see this earlier, but even if I did I probably wouldn't have posted in case I sounded like a negative nancy.

While there is some evidence to show that acupuncture can help with fertility, specifically implantation, I myself never had any better results on acupunture, ie no better quality of eggs/no more eggs than usual. There are many who swear by acupuncture, I am not one of those people. I believe that if it helps you destress, then that's about as good a job as it's doing during the follicular stage, and maybe if you use it around transfer, that may have some benefit to it too.

I come from an Asian background too, where acupuncture is used for muscle pain, athritis, to help you stop smoking, and to help you sleep etc, but I never saw it used for fertility (or if it was, it wasn't widely publicised), and it's practised in every corner store, back room and mahjong hall so you may say I have a healthy skepticism about exactly how far-reaching it's therapuetic qualities are purported to be. I think if go in with low expectations, and it does help, then thats probably the best way to approach it.

As a footnote, can I say I'm actually very open to naturally therapies, and I am a big believer in seeing your chiropactor if you're TTC, but maybe if you didn't put all your stock into it, then any benefit you do see would then be a nice surprise.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the results of your EPU, hun. But as they say, it only takes one. I will be praying for your little ones.
    Last edited by sushee; November 16th, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: can't spell

Trixie Guest

Wink

Hi Max, Try to keep your chin up but I know how holllow these words can be....my wishes are still coming through hopefully....I am feel crap had US today and another BT tomoorw... so next week will be our week.... Hope all goes well over weekend.....if I dont write it is that I am going stelf on my next door work computer and looking over my shouler as my internet isnt working......best wishes
    Trixie

Hi Sushee,

Thanks for your email. I don't think I will be continuing with the acupunture now. This has been my worst cycle ever so it will be a miracle if I fall pregnant this time around.

I know I sound negative already, but I have lost hope with this cycle. Sorry to be so down.

xx

hi max i am sorry you are having such a tough cycle. i can relate hun as it is hard to stay positive.

please don't feel you are doing this on your own. if you would like to join in the older womens TTC buddies thread you are so welcome. i am there and a couple of other ladies undergoing IVF right now.

also there is the LTTTCAC general chat thread. hun, i am on my 4th stim cycle and would really love to chat more with you about how you are going if you felt the need.

xx

CateM Guest

Default Acupuncture/IVF

Hi there,

I am new to all this but I read your messages and wanted to connect. We've just had a major disappointment in our 8th IVF cycle...no eggs! We have a nearly three year old (gorgeous little boy) and have been trying ever since to give him a sibling.

I have tried acupuncture, herbs, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, the Secret and all the "positive thinking" in the world!and none of these have affected/improved my egg numbers or quality. I only get a few eggs each time, and this cycle was a big shock with none at all! I don't know what we're going to do now. I turned 40 in September and fear my time has run out.

Would love to hear from anyone who has anything to say that might hel;p me get over this disappointment!

Trixie Guest

Hi all,
    Trixie here again, sorry for dropping off radar but have just failed our 5th fresh attempt - still UNEXPLAINED!!!! dont you just hate that. So back to the drawing board and more training needed obviously. It is just so hard. They said that this was a real good cycle etc...but I dont know how that makes me feel as if it didnt work and it was a good cycle what does that mean...sorry for being all over the shop...well bring on Christmas and the New year and well Santa wont be stopping at our place.
    love
    Trixie

Trixie Guest

PS disregard the mood today somewhat under sunshine at present... triing to keep busy at work.
    Trixie

Hey Trixie, I'm so sorry your cycle wasn't what you had hoped for :hugs:

I know what you mean about bypassing Xmas - I am so NOT in the mood for all this Xmas cheer. Roll on January!

Vicki

Trixia hun,

You are so right...I am in the same boat as you....5th cycle gone, and no luck...I guess Santa doesn't want to be generous and hand out what we really want this year.

I am having a break from IVF, as the doctor has asked me to, as I have had treatments all year round, without success. So I am going to be trying naturally this month....doubt it will work, but have to be hopeful. Are you going to have a break also? I hope a miracle happens and we both fall pregnant naturally this month. That would be the best news for me...fingers crossed for both of us.

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast