Thread: AI or IUI????

Question AI or IUI????

Hi there

hoping some of you can help.
    My FS wants us to try AI has anyone done this and had success or are we wasting our time? Should we push for IUI?? Has anyone had success with IUI??

TIA

Sammi Jane Guest

Hi Blayz,

I'm confused, aren't AI & IUI the same thing??

What's your situation? What you should do will probably depend on your issues.

I thought AI and IUI were the same thing too...

from everything i understand, AI and IUI are the same. are you tossing up between IUI and IVF?

Apparently AI is when they time you O by blood tests and once determined Dh gives his little sample and they use a suringe and place it in the uterus to do its thing. This assists the sperm meaning that they dojnt have to travel.
    IUI is when they time o as well and DH gives a sample they wash the sperm and separate it from all the other stuff in the sample, mucous, poor quality sperm etc and place the washed sperm in you. Therefore to me if we are gunna go thru this we may as well have the washed good sperm rather than just waste our time.
    We have unexplained infert, both apparently healthy.
    So i was hoping someone has been thru this IUI and had success.

Thanks

When we were offered IUI, there was no mention of washing the sperm at all?

Sammi Jane Guest

When we talked about doing IUI with our FS we were told they washed the sperm. I agree Blayz, what's the point in doing it without washing them?!

I have read success stories with IUI here so I'm sure some will reply. I think the success rate is quite low though. I think we were told about 10% per month? Something like that.

GL

ok, i guess that's where i got confused. my FS never even discussed AI - it was IUI all along - i know i've read of some IUI success stories on BB, so hopefully someone will pop their head in and share

i know my FS said they'd only do a couple of cycles of IUI before moving to IVF - here's hoping we only need the one!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

One of the mods, Cherie, is an IUI success story, btw

i dont know much about IUI, but im starting IVF next month and as a fellow TTC i wish you all the best for a positive result first time

Thank you so much Sonya that is awesome, I wish you all the best in your journey too.

Thank you everyone else for the info I just feel as though another 10% chance per cycle is very little is it worth it??? i guess the FS wouldnt do it if she didnt think there was a chance.

Perhaps it is worth a shot as I want this more than ANYTHING,we are all striving towards the same goal... babies

Hi Blayz, Sonya and all,
    I wish you all success too with TTC. I still am pretty vague with it all, but I've just had my 1st IUI & was told there are successes and for others it doesn't work. A friend on my sister's became pg via IUI after the 2nd attempt.
    Yes much of the good sperm is taken out and combined with another fluid to help them travel. I saw DH's 'boys' in this small test tube before they were injected. When inserted, they don't have as far to swim, so was told my dr that IUI can work for those who's DH's sperm count may be low, but motility is high....not as far to travel. Will see how we go, but staying optimistic. This is our year! Good luck everyone.