Thread: All about FSH

Default All about FSH

Just wanting to hear from anyone who was on Clomid for a few cycles and was then put on FSH injections. Also, what is involved in having the injections, price?

I realise that there are a few of these questions roaming around in other threads but i always forget which thread to catch up on. I really just want to find out as much as possible just in case i have to start on FSH after this last cycle of Clomid.

Hi WalkingArt

We did 3 cycles of clomid and then moved straight to IVF.
    I too would love to know the price of the injectible drugs! Because we paid all the IVF in one hit, I never knew if they were expensive.

Hopefully someone will come along soon to shed some light on this

Good luck - hopefully clomid does the trick for you first!

P.S the needles are very quick and relatively pain free (puregon pen) much easier than I first anticipated! (I'm a bit of a squibb though, DH does them)

HI WalkingArt,
    I have done 2 cycles of Clomid and so far no luck....my FS was talking last night about going onto injections. So I am going to do research into them. Anything I find I will post here for you too.
    SAM

Thanks Sammy

Hi WalkingArt,
    I looked on the IVFAustralia site and found this..
    FSH (Puregon) is a synthetic hormone which is exactly like a natural hormone but, being synthetic, it cannot carry any infectious agents. It is used to promote the growth of ovarian follicles and is administered as a subcutaneous (just under the skin) injection.
    Reported Side Effects:
    Headaches, tiredness and lethargy
    Irritability and tearfulness
    Breast tenderness
    Nausea
    Enlarged tender ovaries
    Abdominal distension and discomfort
    Fluid retention
    OHSS

I also read on other forums that some ladies follow this path..
    1. Lucrin (injection) or synarel (nasal spray) to "down play" their own hormones so the Dr has more control over what is going on.
    2. Then Purgeon (FSH) injections. It seems that the dose starts low and then a scan is done to see the follicle growth and then if nothing much is happening the dose is increased and so the process is repeated until the follicle is at a good size.
    3. HCG Trigger injection to help the little eggie burst out of the follicle.

I am still looking for prices...I will keep you posted.
    SAM

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

WA,

my cousin went from clomid to puregon for ovulation induction. I'll see if she can give me some info on prices.

She didn't O on 3 courses of clomid and didn't O on her first dose of puregon. Her dosage was increased for her next cycle, which then produced 3 mature follies and she got cancelled. She's now waiting to start puregon cycle #3 now.

Hi again....
    I just found the pbs website and here are some prices...
    Puregon 300IU/0.36ml multi dose catridge- $144.04 (price ex manufacturer)
    Puregon 600IU/0.72ml multi dose catridge - $288.09 (price ex manufacturer)
    Puregon 900IU/1.08ml multi dose catridge - $432.11(price ex manufacturer)

I am really not sure what this means though?

I also looked on an online pharmacy website and it said...
    Puregon Cartridge 300iu
    Private $199.95

Puregon Cartridge 300iu 3 X
    Private $599.85
    NHS $30.70
    Concession $4.90

So now I am basically more confused than ever?? Does anyone know what these prices mean?
    Last edited by sushee; March 21st, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: removing link

WalkingArt & Sammy - I was put on to FSH injections after 9 cycles of Chlomid.

From memory the Puregon cost about $30 per 3.6ml ampoul - the number of injections you get from each one depends on your dosage. One Puregon cycle for me cost about $90 (3 ampouls).

The pregnyl injections (which is a trigger shot taken once your follicles are ready) comes in a box of 2x3 ampouls (ie, good for 3 cycles) which I paid approx $52.00 for.

Now its important that you have a prescription from a FS for the injections otherwise you'd have to pay full price as Sammy listed above. A GP's script is not good enough - only an FS can get you the reduced prices. (Apparently they have some sort of government authorisation).

Hope all goes well for both of you. As you can see it finally worked for me!

Hi Tina!
    Thanks for the info. And Congrats on your BFP!!
    How many injection cycles did you do?
    SAM

Sam I only had to have 1 cycle. My FS suggested IUI but thought we could try a cycle of ovulation induction with timed intercourse first. We werent too optimistic when an ultrasound showed only 1 follicle but luckily for us it worked and our 1 little follicle is now our first miracle baby!!

Tina, that is so awesome! I am so happy for you

Wow thanks soooooooooo much for all the info ladies. I dont usually have much time to search the web at work. The little time i do have i jump straight on here. LOL. So all your info is greatly greatly appreciated.

Congrats Teepee on your BFP after just one cycle. Thats fantastic. Also good to hear about the timed intercourse and no IUI. From other threads that i have read, lots of ladies who have the injections also have the IUI so i was getting a little worried as i would like to try "naturally" to a point.

Thanks again.

WalkingArt the IUI factor all depends on your test results. If DH doesnt have any problems then "natural conception" (so to speak)should be OK. But if he has any sperm abnormailities then IUI would definitely be necessary.

Sam & WA - I know exactly how hard it is when you cant fall pg. DH and I tried for 18 months before we got our BFP but I urge you both not to lose hope. When your going through a down time (which I had many of) just try to think of what it will be like when you come out the other end with a baby in your arms. As long as you have support from your DH and trust in your FS you'll both be fine. Try to talk about your feelings to DH because it really does help - I never would have got through it all without my husbands love and support!

Your time will come and you too will be blessed!!

Thanks Tina that is lovely of you.

My DH is extremely loving and supportive too. We talk about everything and he is very positive that one day we will have our little bubba

Thanks Tina. It is hard to sometimes not lose a little hope but i have been very positive about the whole situation. Like Sammy, my DH is FANTASTIC. He is extremely supportive and is all ears whenever i have anything to say and even asks lots of questions.