Thread: Any info/tips for egg collection?

Default Any info/tips for egg collection?

Just wondering what to expect, with my egg collection this wednesday. Much pain during or afterwards?

Hi Possums,

My egg collection went well with no major problems. I had 20 follicles on my last scan with 12 mature eggs collected and then 8 embryos at the end of it.

My clinic does sedation for egg collection, so I fell asleep and woke up easily afterwards... no tubes down throat - which I believe they do if having a general. I think overall if you just have sedation, you bounce back easier than a general. In saying that I was a little dopey for the rest of the day and I could feel my ovaries were swollen. That feeling of tenderness of the ovaries lasted for about a week. I felt it particulary when I sat down.

I also felt as if I had air in my stomach and up under my ribs. I believe that they may pump some air in there to separate everything to make the procedure easier. This feeling of discomfort also lasted about a week.

I had some panadine for my discomfort, and that worked well.

I went back to work with no problems the day after my EPU.

After a week, I felt back to normal.

GL with your collection... I am sure it will all go well.

Janie xxx

Hi and Many thanks for your informative answer! I do find it really helpful knowing as much as possible. I had 18 follicles at this morning's scan.
    Hopefully it will all go well. We have to travel and stay overnight for the egg collection, so will head off tomorrow night.

p.s. did the whole process take long?

Hi Possums... from memory I was out of the hospital about 3 hours after I had been admitted.

The thing that takes the time is waiting for them to take you through, doing your pre surgery check up, speaking to the anaethesologist and waiting for the room to come free etc. The actual procedure doesn't take long at all. They wake you pretty quickly afterwards and as long as blood pressure etc ok, they get you up and out soon after that.

Are you having a sedative or a general? If you are having a general, you may have to stay in for a bit longer.

I found the whole thing very exciting, mind you I am not scared of needles or operations. But it really does feel like the beginning of your journey to get that long awaited baby. It is a very wonderful time. I really hope that it is the first and last time that you have to do it.

Janie xxx

barney Guest

possums are you going to newcastle hun for epu?
    and best of luk to you

Yes, off to Newcastle for EPU.

possums, i was only in hossy for a few hours too - had twilight sedation, and apart from some nasty AF type cramping for a day or five, i didn't have any real issues at all. panadeine was enough to knock it on the head, and i only took them maybe once each day - not often at all.

one thing that might seem obvious, but i'll mention it anyway - wear comfy clothes! trackies are your friend! you will feel bloated, and the last thing you want is snug pants. also, if you have a heat pack for in the car, bring it along and get the nurses to heat it before you leave. i had an hour trip too and from hossy - heat pack was my best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    also, if you have a heat pack for in the car, bring it along and get the nurses to heat it before you leave. i had an hour trip too and from hossy - heat pack was my best friend!
    great advice BG. we asked the hospital for one today to help with pain and they said they were now banned in (this) hospital. good idea to have your own.

barney Guest

[COLOR="Magenta ]possums they only do twilight sedation at newcastle and epu only takes about 10 mins tops then you go back to your room and have a bite to eat then go home and take it easy i just took a couple of panadole for the trip home so good luk the nurses are all fab][/COLOR]

oh thanks for that...will definately take my heat pack with me. :-)
    Sounds like it won't take too long at all.

one thing is don't do too much when you go home as i felt fine aft egg collection, had sedation and then just some pain killers. well i went and did some stuff on way home with dh and basically did too much and took ages to feel ok again. so take it easy please. good luck

I agree with JBM - just don't do anything afterwards! I went for a walk for 40 minutes (wasn't a fast walk) the day after and the next day could barely walk or stand up straight and was like that for a week.

Good luck possum - the epu itself is not a problem. I was told that bloating was at its worst a week after epu (and I'd have to agree).