Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel prep for lap - how bad is it??

Default Bowel prep for lap - how bad is it??

Have my second lap booked for Tuesday, 21st and have to do a bowel prep diet and take something called Picoprep.

I didn't have to do this last time and while I think it's a great move I am getting scared - imagining ghastly diarrhea and heaps of pain and discomfort!

I'm also worried that I won't be able to look after my DD while this is going on.

Can someone who's done it tell me it's not that bad?? Please??

~Jane~ Guest

Hi willow

I have had it a couple of times, twice with fleet and once with some other medication that I can't remember the name, it's not painful but it certainly isn't pleasant. You will go until your movements are clear, ie passing water. Usually it's the night before your procedure around 6pm that you will start your first dose and it takes about half an hour to work...but when it does work you will need to be near the loo.

The actual medication itself is pretty revolting and they can you maxalon to stop you from vomitting.

Good luck with it, it's well worth doing as they can get right in there and fix lots.

Cheers

Jane

Thanks Jane. I'm not so much worried about the taste or vomiting cause I'm usually pretty good with that, it's the actually 'going' that I'm worried about.

I know it won't be pleasant but as long as it's not painful I think I'll be OK.

Passing water....noice.

~Jane~ Guest

I was making jokes to DH about songs for bowel prep such as "burning ring of fire" LOL

Just make sure you don't scrimp on toilet paper that week, get the soft stuff

Seriously it doesn't hurt, it is just revolting. And it comes on real quick from go to whoa so to speak. I aw Billy Connolly do a very funny routine on his bowel prep, he thinks it was developed by NASA, I am sure you will laugh afterwards and get what he means.

At work we have a substance called Golytely (which makes you go lots!!!) so I am assuming it is the same type. Can give you tummy cramping because it speeds up the gut emptying. Just be near a toilet and the soft loo paper is a great idea. So is company to look after the little one JIC. Good luck

Oh I wish they'd given me this. Nobody mentioned anything about bowel preparation to me before my lap. I would rather **** myself copiously in private but unfortunately, they gave me an enema while I was under. Beautiful!

Good luck with your lap ... and your bowel prep. =)

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I never had a bowel prep before mine - :eek: OMG I hope not ... Goodlcuk Willow hope you recover quickly, fix or get answers and it is all a distant memory soon after.

Drink heaps of water and gatorade/stamonade as well.. just to keep you hydrated... good luck you will be fine.. leis x

OMG Melbo, they gave you an enema whilst under? That is horrible they very rarely do that these days!!! What were they thinking....???? leis x

Thanks girls, i know it's best to do it but just a bit scared about it! Silly I know, should be the least of my worries. I had terrible toilet traumas before my last endometrioma was removed (was quite big, 8cm) and after my last lap (could not go for 4/5 weeks without excruciating pain) and I think it's scarred me for life! LOL.

Melbo, I feel your shame - I had suppositories 'inserted' while I was under last time for pain relief because I am allergic to morphine. Ahhh, the things we do for love....

Thank you Trish, that is very kind of you. Depending on the outcome on Tuesday, I might be calling on you for some info etc about Westmead Fertility, it's one of the clinics I will be considering. My current FS Dr Sacks is with IVF Australia and I'd prefer to stay with him because he's fantastic but cost is also a factor.

Jane, I LOVE Billy Connelly!! Will have to remember the NASA reference....
    Last edited by Willow; November 16th, 2006 at 06:20 PM.

Kat Guest

Hi Willow

I havent had do this for a lap before.. but I have 3 colonoscapys in the past , and I assure you my bowels have to be squeaky clean for the camera :eek:
    The stuff is ok to drink to start off with.. but I couldnt handle drinking it all (I used to have to drink 3 L of the stuff in 6 hours or so..). The best advice I can give you, is not to eat anything solid a day or two beforehand. Dont touch any nuts/seeds/meats.. stuff that takes longer to digest.. The day before I have to drink the stuff, I really just eat jelly, yogo, bread, soups etc.. So the day of, I am going to the loo, but its not bad at all.. and you will find you are all clear much sooner than you need to be..
    Hope this helps !

Kat

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Willow I will be happy to help in any way I can - it is good advice from these ladies too.

Hi Willow

The toliet paper was an issue for me after awhile. Sort of like the irratation you get when you have a cold and blow your nose a lot and then the 'liquid' coming out kinda burns!

I thought if I had to ever do it again I would try those moist bottom wipes they have been advertising latley. Don't know if they would help but maybe would be an idea to have some on hand. GOODLUCK

Oooh, Kat & Fig, thank you for the tips! The slop diet and the moist potty wipes sound like a great idea.

I am totally dreading this....

Kat, I hope you don't mind me asking but what is PID? Never seen that before. I only ask because adhesions causing blocked tubes is a likely possibility for me.

Kat Guest

Hi Willow,
    PID is Pelvic Inflammitory Disease. I originally had a dermoid tumor on my right ovary - which was taken out by a laparotomy. Somehow an infection got into my pelvic area, which made me feel quite sick. I was still getting over the op and just thought it was all part of that pain, so just left it. The infection makes the body produce heaps of that white spider webby like stuff (adhesions) causing a blockage on my left tube. It can be quite painful, as my bowel is stuck up on the left near my ovary.. things are all out of whack :mad: I have been asked if I want to have a lap and get the scar tissue removed.. but the chances of the bowel wall tearing are high and adhesions normally just grow back.. In 2 and half years I have 1 laparotomy (that was awful ) and 3 laps.. I told them thanks, but no thanks.. With one tube, and that being blocked I have no option but IVF.. At least I know why I am IF..
    Have you had a dye test to see if your tubes are blocked?

Kat

Not yet, I am having all that done on Tuesday. Because of a few other factors seen on u/sound, we thought it best to do a lap rather than a HSG.

I have a small endometrioma on my right ovary (had a huge one removed by lap from my left ovary in May so want this one gone before it causes too much damage). I'm having a hysteroscopy, dye studies and tubal flushing, excision of the cyst and removal of any adhesions/endometriosis they find - I'm hoping they don't find any! I had no endo anywhere else (other than the cyst on my ovary) in May and am hoping that is still the case. It also looks like I have some fluid floating around on the left side of my pelvis so we need to suss that out too.

My FS suspects that I have adhesions from my last surgery which could be blocking my tubes.

I was given the all clear after my last lap and was so grateful to have kept my ovary. Doesn't appear to have done me much good though!
    Last edited by Willow; November 17th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.

Do they always clear your bowel for a lap? Because I didn't have anything before my lap but I woke up feeling very uncomfortable in that area. Am I just linking two very different things?

Hey Willow,
    Yeah i've had this done too. They gave me the fleet stuff one time(which tasted disgusting;pleasant lemon ginger flavour,my butt)aaaggghhh. But the most recent time it wasnt to vile. I decided to stay home;luckily. I was on the phone for about 40 minutes and was thinking it was odd nothing was happening. I thought i was going to break wind but thought;dont think i'll risk it. Ran off to the toilet and it was like an explosion. THE THUNDER DOWN UNDER....lol. I was stuck there. Had to get my partner to hang up for me and tell my girlfriend i dont think i'll be calling her back that night. Essentially i was stuck there until you are like weeing through your butt(way too much info). But no pain, and not disgusting. Just noisy and embarrasing, and a bit stingy. Read my other post girl!!Stay strong. She'll be apples.

XX Pauline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast