Thread: Clomid vs FSH/HCG injections

Aussie_Chik Guest

Default Clomid vs FSH/HCG injections

I have just been to see the FS after my cycle watch showed poor ovulation resulting in a short LP. My own charting has showed this to be the case for the past 6 cycles - no surprises there.

Anyway, he recommended trying either clomid or FSH injections and HCG in second half of luteal phase, and was suggesting more strongly for the FSH/HCG option. However, he also felt it to be possible for us to conceive w/o assistance over time.

I was wondering if anyone else has been faced with this decision and if so what things do we need to consider. I know cost is a big one! My feeling is to try clomid but he said it might affect CM and endometrial lining????

Any thoughts/suggestions??? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am currently on the clomid path and heading toward the FSH/HCG option if we don't get success soon. Yes, there is a chance of CM changes and alteration in the endometrial lining but this is usually after a few cycles. The cost of clomid is less and it is the easier option (tablets for 5 days compared to injections) but it does depend on your specific issues. The endometrial lining can be monitored through U/S and natural therapies like acupuncture can increase CM too.

Good luck.

Since being on clomid I have had the most ewcm I have ever had,so that doesnt always affect everyene.

Yes clomid would be easier to start with, then if it didn;t work you could go onto the injections.

Im very surprised to hear your doc preffering the injections first.

Anyway hope something works for you soon. Good luck

Aussie_Chik Guest

Thanks for that ladies!

To be honest DH and I were wondering if the dr. got some sort of kickback if we went with the injections - so much more expensive!!! :eek:

Anyway, at this stage we have decided to do nothing this cycle. We'll research it all and evaluate where we are at next time round. I'd love for my body to turn itself around and give me a good egg naturally - fingers crossed.

This is just my exp of course, but it is totally up to you which way you feel you would like to go. Clomid did not change the length of my cycles, it was still 35-40 days. I had a lot of stomach discomfort, and a the time we were supposed to DTD, I was way too sore!!! My cycles were perfect, on the FSH injections, (with the IVF cycle). I HTH a bit!!!

Hi there,

Clomid would be useful for you in your situation, due to the luteal phase defect. In cases like that, it is probably worth a try as it may be enough to help you to conceive within a few cycles. You are correct that it may affect the production of cervical mucus and thin the lining of the endometrium. It has however helped many women on here to achieve pregnancy so it may be the ticket for you. At least, if it doesn't work, you can go into FSH and HCG, knowing that you have tried everything else possible first.

Good luck,

Mel

Hello I am a newbie who is currently doing FSH injections. I have PCOS so my doc suggested FSH after about four cycles of clomid didn't work. He said that with ovulation problems sometimes the more severe the problem the more likely FSH will work. Well I hope he is right!!

I have PCOS and endometriosis and was on Chlomid for about 9 months - which my FS tells me was too long and detremental (to me) because of CM and lining issues. Even on Chlomid me cycles were up to 36 days. She suggested that my gyno should have taken me off it after 6 months but who's to say - everyone's body reacts differently. Due to start with FSH/HCG on next cycle which should be next week. Im also on Metformin and FS says she cant see any reason why the injections wont work so here's hoping.
    Maybe you could give the chlomid a go for 3-6 months then go onto FSH/HCG if necessary. All the best. Hope you get your BFP soon.

*bump*

Aussie - just wondering what you decided to do and if you've had any success?? I am currently on clomid but am thinking about discussing FSH injections with my FS at next appt.

Ah duh!!! God, I must be really tired.

Thanks Fletch - that's all I wanted to know! hehehe....

I'm off to bed now....

At moments like this I really wish my stupid emoticons were working!!!!

ETA: Congratulations Aussie! Always good to hear stories like this, keeps me hopeful.

morganj Guest

My FS has just recommended the injections for me - although we didn't discuss the cost. Any ideas?