Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about FET

Default Confused about FET

I need to book on for a FET, as soon as my period starts. I am guessing it should come tomorrow.(Sunday). Anyway, we had our pre appt 2 wks ago, but I have been thinking seriously about things today, and now i feel very unorganized, because we didnt ask enough questions. So i am wondering if anyone can advise here!

We have 10 frozen embryos in storage. We are defrosting one at a time. But i was wondering... if they defrost one, ready for my transfer, but it doesnt "defrost" and isnt a good embryo, are they able to defrost another for that same cycle, or do i miss out and wait for the following cycle? Apparently there is a 60% chance of success with freezing/defrosting emb.

If the embryos dont defrost, I am guessing we still would have to pay some fee, even though a cycle may be cancelled??

Am I able to Phone the clinic to have them defrost more than one at a time? Or do we have to make an appointment again and re sign the papers?

I am supposed to be on clomid for the transfer too, but the doc didnt leave instructions for when to start taking it.(He wants me to take it to shorten my cycle, so that i dont need as many blood tests to track O) And i remember now, that when i took it 10 years ago, I had really bad side effects ie stomach pain, bloating, etc. And now i am worried about having to take it.- I should have spoken to the Doc in more detail, but I just assumed the whole thing would be an easier process than the fresh cycle...

AGGHHH!!! I feel so unorganized!!!

Thanks for you help

Usually they start the 'defrosting' process sometime (I think is about 36-48 hours) before the FET time. My understanding is they know pretty quickly whether that has been successful or not, and if not they will attempt another and so on, until they get one which they consider 'viable'.

I have always had bad side effects from Clomid too - Im not exactly sure why you would have to take it during a FET, but best to call them up and check that out - Im sure they wont mind you calling and too bad if they do! You are the 'customer' so dont worry about it.

Hope that has helped a little bit..

babyformel Guest

Hi
    I am currently on a FET cycle. I am having my transfer tomorrow. Ours were defrosted on Wednesday and needed to be grown to blastocyst. I got a call from the embryologist at 9am to ask how many I wanted thawed etc. I also had 10. I chose to have all 10 thawed and grown. He said he would call back in an hour to let me know how many survived. 9 of those 10 made it. So I am guessing it only takes about an hour until they know. If you decided to thaw 1 and it didn't make it I "think" they can thaw more. I'm not sure how that would work. I'm sure you can call the clinic and have more thawed out if you want. I'm not sure about the paperwork. All I had to do was sign one that gave them permission to use our embryos, it said nothing about the numbers. But when I have gone in for my blood tests the nurses always ask how many I would like thawed. I would call the clinic and ask them, maybe speak to the embryologist if you can and they can advise you what to do.
    I hope that helps you a little, and good luck with your FET

Thanks Girls, your info really helps. Good luck to you both with TTC, I hope you get your little miracles very soon xxx

I am hopefully having a FET on Wednesday and they will thaw my embryos out on Tuesday and let me know if they have survived We only have 2 frozen and have been told by some people that they usually need to thaw 3 before they are successful??? This is really worrying us. Has anyone had something similar told to them or had a similar experience. Also wondered if they do not thaw will we still have to pay the full amount for the FET?? I hate all of the unknowns in this IVF process!!

Hi Ali, I know its hard, but try to be confident that at least one of them will thaw. From what i have read about the forum, there has been some good news about the thaw process rates. I was also wondering about the cost, if they didnt thaw? Perhaps we would just pay for the thawing process only?
    Good luck on Wednesday with your FET.

Hi Ali

In response to your query about the numbers thawed. I only had one thawed and it was done on the morning of the transfer. This was because I only had one day six emby, but it defrosted ok and was inplanted about 5 hours after it was thawed. I think all clinics are slightly different so I wanted be too worried. By the way you probably have already had it done so I wish you well.

Thanks girls, again wishing you all lots of luck

Sari, I am going in for my first blood test tomorrow, to see how the clomid is going. I am guessing the transfer will be done around the 12th? Depending on how crazy my cycle is this month.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Ally I wish you the best of luck with your FET cycle!

I have not been through IVF personally, but my 2 nieces are twins born 2 years apart!

The youngest was the only embryo left from the cycle in which my first niece was conceived and was strong enough to be frozen, but she was only given a 5 % chance of success when she was implanted (this was 6 years ago) and she survived!

My sister calls her "her miracle child" and she is stubborn as an ox!

Quote Originally Posted by Relle

My sister calls her "her miracle child" and she is stubborn as an ox!
    Hi Relle, I think there's something in that!!!DS is extremely stubborn too LOL!!!

I am glad your sister got her little miracle bub. It is so nice to hear stories that end like that. I am pretty positive that James will end up with a little "twin" brother or sister. We really have been lucky so far, and i feel really confident that it will work. On the other hand, if it doesnt, i feel very blessed to have my little fella!! So will just see what the man upstairs has in mind for me LOL!!!

Fingers Crossed for you this month too

Ally,

James will definately end up with a "twin" for sure!

Maybe we will still be in a belly buddy group together yet! I sure hope so! As for me, we will see what happens with that too. I am just going to go with the flow, I don't want to get too stressed about it.

I am so glad you decided to stick around, I really look forward to chatting with you on the threads!

Relle, how could i leave when there are sweets like you here!!! I hope we end up in the Belly buddy forums together, that be fun!!!

Ally I know both of our cycles are all over the place, but at the moment we are on the same day in our cycles! Goodluck for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Relle
    Ally I know both of our cycles are all over the place, but at the moment we are on the same day in our cycles! Goodluck for us!
    Ahh, Soul Sister Cycles LOL!!! Be interesting to see what happens eh!

Just thought I'd update and let you know that none of my embryos thawed well so now back on the treatment for a stimulated cycle...figure that money just goes to thawing the eggs as I didn't receive any back (I really am in the wrong job!!) Good luck to those of you waiting for a tranfer/thawing date I hope you have better news than I did!
    Take care

Awwww, Ali - Sorry they didnt thaw for you, how dissapointing. Are you planning on doing the stim cycle soon? . I wish you lots of luck Ali, Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Ali, I am really sorry to hear that your embryos weren't successful at defrosting. I hope you have more success with you future cycle.

Hi Guys, thanks for your encouragement. I have started the synarel, been on it for over a week now, just waiting for AF to rear her ugly head...she never seems to come when you want her to!! Was really disappointed embryos didn't thaw but also half expecting it as they were not the best quality. My FS goes away soon- just in time for my EC I think- and he was away last time I had me EC and he admitted to us that my eggs were collected too early last time- very frustrating!! So hoping my cycle fits with my FS's schedule...he seems to always be on hols?! Hope u have a great weekend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast