Thread: Confusion re. HCG trigger and HPTs

Question Confusion re. HCG trigger and HPTs

Hi girls,

Iím wondering if anyone can help me. Iím currently on my first cycle after an IVF stim cycle (which sadly ended with a BFN after a blastocyst transfer). After all the excitement of the stim cycle, Iíve been finding this cycle really slow and dull and Iíve just been watching the time tick by so I can finally start my one-and-only FET cycle.

But, incredible as it seems, last night I got a weak BFP and this morning I got a really strong one!!! :eek: Even though there wasnít a lot of well timed BDing (but there was a bit). So maybe itís not such a boring cycle for me after all!

ButÖI donít really know what to think because I had a HCG trigger in my stim cycle and I wonder if thatís corrupting the result and really Iím not PG at all. Does anyone know how long a HCG injection sticks around to mess up a HPT result??? Mine was about six weeks ago, I guess.

Also, do you think stim cycles Ďhelpí somehow with the next normal cycle? Prime the reluctant uterus or something like that? After all this time, it seems like an incredible coincidence that we might have had success just now.

Iím going slightly loopy here so any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Allie,

Unfortunately I can't answer your q, but here's hoping it's the real thing!

Hi Allie,
    the HCG from the trigger would only be in your system for 10 days so sounds like a real BFP! congratulations.
    Not sure about the IVF cycle helping you conceive but I have friends that have unexplained infertility and they have twins and a little girl from IVF and were going to do a FET with their last emby but it did not defrost so they were very upset but the month after they got pg. naturally! That is the thing with "unexplained", in theory there is nothing stopping it happening so it can happen naturally. I really hope this is it for you.

Thanks girls!

Wow, if the trigger would only last about 10 days in my system then I'm feeling much more optimistic! I've been so scared about getting my hopes up.

I have an appointment with my GP for a BT, but it's not until Thursday morning. I swear I could be nuts by then. It's going to be a very long long-weekend.

Wow Allie ... keeping my fingers crossed for you hun.

It would be unlikely that it would still be HCG trigger remaining in your blood/urine after all this time. 10 days was about what I had thought as well.

DH and I had a similar thing happen to you ... failed IVF cycle, then we postponed our FET cycle because the timing wasn't quite right and had an IUI cycle which should never have worked (sperm count <1million). I got my 'period', rocked up back to the FS to start the FSH injections for the next FET, and got a blood test showing I was pg :eek: I am convinced that it had something to do with the IVF kick-starting my body (am convincing myself of this so that the IVF doesn't seem like a waste of money LOL) and quitting a highly stressful work situation.

To be certain that the HCG trigger wasn't affecting my results (which were also about 6wks post-trigger shot), my FS did 2 blood tests about 3 days apart ... he said rising HCG levels would definitely not be the result of the trigger shot, as the levels would fall if that was the case. Hope that makes sense!

Anyway, best of luck hun .. it sounds really positive and I hope that Thursday comes around super-quickly for you

sophabulous Guest

OMG Allie!! Congratulations!

I also had the same problem when I got my BFP, but I had an HCG shot in the middle of my LP! So six weeks ago, if you haven't had one since this is a definite BFP!!!

A huge congratulations hon!!

Thankx girls for your advice and ideas.

I'm now 23 DPO and still no sign of AF but still high temps and nice strong HPTs! Here's hoping it will be confirmed on Thursday - I will be on to let you all know!

Have a good week everyone.