Thread: cost of ivf? - brisbane

lawless Guest

Default cost of ivf? - brisbane

Hi all - My question today relates to the cost of IVF treatment? I have not yet got there, but am realising it may be a reality soon, but have no idea of the cost. I am in Brisbane and have private health, am PCOS and would also like a recommendation to a Dr. I have heard Dr David Malloy is a leader in this field and would like to know if he is personable/sensitive. Also, if IVF is cheaper in other states , or better qualified or advanced, is it an option to travel for the session ie is this "allowed" or does it make no difference? Any comments would be appreciated. I love reading this site - I don't feel so alone anymore, although I wish we were all able to reach each of our goals a little more easier than we are!

Sal Guest

Hi Lawless, I'm Sydney-based, so can't help you. I don't think any of the girls currently doing IVF are from Brissy either. If you've heard of someone good (who works with a cutting-edge clinic) then go with them.

As to cost, it seems to be uniformly expensive. As you have private health, the ball-park out of pocket total would be $2000-2500. That's assuming no ICSI, no cryostorage etc.

You can go interstate for treatment, but as there is a lot of monitoring required, plus egg collection and then embryo transfer, it would be a lot of hassle.

Hi Lawless

Try doing a search on the long term thread because I think there was some postings from various clinics doing various procedures.

But to answer your question it depends on the state, clinic and what procedures! Also the drug costs are slightly different because different ones are used.

I do know of people travelling for IVF. Sydney IVF is cutting edge (we infact travelled there for a PGD IVF procedure) but is quite expensive.

Welcome to bellybelly.

Hi Lawless,
    I am from Brisvegas and my sister has 51/2 month twin boys thanks to IVF. I got her pricings and outo f pocket unisured about $4000 ( incl drugs) and insured about $3000. Dr Malloy is the president of AMA and apparently excellent. I am going through Dr Robert Watson as did my sister.. Hope this help!! Good luck!!
    Shezabelle 8-[

Lawless

We actually discussed this in the November 04 thread - if you want to have a look through it, it begins on page 7. (Not sure how to put in a link to that page, sorry)

Hope it helps, but moreso hope you dont have to get to that stage!

Keen

HERE is a link to the thread that Keen mentioned

Thanks Sarah!

It's a pleasure

lawless Guest

Excellent thank you all very much. I did find that thread after I posted and found it very informative. I am surprised it's so expensive, but I guess I shouldn't be, and I assume it has come down a lot from when IVF was in it's early days. Now to plan... I've given myself another 12 months when I will be nearly 30 and if I haven't conceived then I will be going down this path, so I am grateful for this forum and everyone being so open about their experiences. I really think it helps a lot both to chat about it myself and to know I'm not alone.

Thank you all, will continue to be floating around these forums and if I can help anyone I would be glad to. I'm planning to do as much as possible to make it happen during the next 12 months and we'll take it from there.

Take care