Thread: Cycle after unsuccessful IVF

Question Cycle after unsuccessful IVF

Just wondering, for those who have have experienced an unsuccessful IVF cycle, what was your next natural cycle like? I am currently on my 1st natural cycle since IVF and am now on CD38 (of a normal 26-28 day cycle). Even during my IVF cycle, AF arrived on day 27. Is it normal for your body to go out of whack, or should I be going to the doctor??

Hi Megan

Short answer is yes - out of whack is normal.
    My cycles after IVF were very whacky. They usually settle back in the second or third cycle after a stim.

Thanks Kar. I guess that's going to make doing my FET a little tricky. They're trying to tell me that I will O on day 12-14, but if I'm having long cycles, that certainly isn't going to happen.

I saw my doctor and nurse a couple of weeks ago (3 weeks after my IVF BFN) and they said I could go ahead next cycle. I just had to ring my nurse and let her know when AF arrived and work out when I would start the OPK's. She didn't mention anything at all about having a longer break, or that my cycle might not be normal. I'm a bit annoyed actually. I think I will give her a call on Monday and let her know what's going on and asking if I should wait until I have a normal length cycle again?!

Megan,
    As Kar says, it is normal for cycles to be out of whack but can also go back to normal straight away. My cycle after IVF did not change one bit so one of those things that anything is really normal. Hope something happens soon.

After my unsuccessful IVF cycle, I had to have a break cycle before my FS would let me do my FET cycle ... I can't remember exactly, but I have a feeling that I ended up taking provera to get my 'break' cycle to be a normal length (but then again, they weren't normal length before IVF), and then started jabbing with Puregon again for my FET cycle (but didn't have to do the Synarel again, thank goodness!).

Are you doing a natural FET cycle?

Yep, I'm doing a natural FET cycle. I guess they think that since I ovulate and my cycles are regular that there's no reason to go on medication this time.
    Breaking news though....AF finally arrived this morning and was kept up half the night feeling awful. So, I ended up with a 39 day cycle, which I guess is what they are considering my "break" cycle. I just hope it goes back to normal soon, My tummy is so bloated.

Awwww poor you
    .... but great that AF has shown up and you can get started on the next phase. I hope you have lots of success with your snowbubs this cycle.

Megan,

Just to let you know I did an IVF cycle which was negative, got my AF after a good 30 something days which was long for me. Then my RE said I could do an FET straightaway (natural) which I did and got pregnant!