Thread: Diet, drinking and IVF??

Question Diet, drinking and IVF??

Hi
    Are you really strict with yourself when doing IVF? My Dr advised me to avoid Alcohol and caffiene (including Chocolate) and eat a healthy diet and exercise. Which is fine, I mostly live like this anyway, but have been real lax over Xmas, and I understand some Drs would be more anal than others about all this. I was wondering what do you do when in an IVF cycle?

My doctor never said anything like this. I don't drink so that's not a problem but I love my chocolate and I have been real lax over Christmas too.

I wanted to lose a few kilos before my next IVF so I started eating better and walking 6 kms each morning but then I hear you shouldn't raise your body temperature after ET?

hey blayz
    my FS said to drink Sav Blanc over the holiday to relax and unwind from the stress of our last cycle! i haven't gone crazy but after all the stress it is nice to be less cautious (ie 3 yrs no alcohol!). that said, DH is on a stricter less alcohol intake as it may effect his swimmers when we needed them in a couple of months time. it is good to be fairly fit and healthy but i don't think the odd chocolate or bowl of icecream is going to be anything but helpful to your emotional well being.
    how are you feeling in yourself?

Hi Lionfish. I wasnt really really strict when doing ivf, i still had a bit of choccie and diet coke (I know naughty!!!) but def a no to alcohol. Choc and the occasional diet coke was the only caffeine that i had, and i made sure to have good diet of fruit and veg, but nothing super super strict. I think its important to feel good about yourself and also for you to be able to relax as much as you can whilst doing ivf. Not too much exercise after the embryo transfer, and just do what you can when you can, and try not stress to much. Your body should pretty much tell you what feels right and what feels good.
    I wish you all the luck
    Mel

Lionfish, now you have me scared.... I asked my FS before we started IVF what we should do, and she said just to be as healthy as normal. So, given that my in-laws have a vineyard and supply us in wine, I have taken that to mean continue to exercise, good diet and a standard drink or two... Both DH and I are in good health so we have continued as is, although in all honesty I have cut back a bit on wine and caffine.

We are only on our first IVF cycle so I dont know if I'm doing the 'right' thing, I guess only time will tell...but I do know that I would be alot more stressed if I could not have a glass of something in the evening (although I know I will have to give up if we get pg).

I would think that if you are healthy and unless there is a specific medical reason to stop drinking (or other goodies), and that if you are feeling ok (not to guilty), it makes you relax and you feel good in yourself, then it cant do much harm. But having said that, I guess we pay our FS the big $$ to help us...so I'm not much help .

Do what feels right, is not excessive and what makes you feel good and not guilty! Good luck.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My FS basicaly said to limit caffiene, abstain from alcohol and no foods associated with listeria only when I was doing a cycle, mainly in case we got lucky and had success. But in between, it's life as normal, eg choccies, coke and most definitely lots of vino! Lol! God how would you survive the rollercoaster if you couldn't relax and return to 'normal' life between cycles? The thing I didn't do between cycles is smoke (I gave up up before starting IVF), but otherwise, a break cycle was most definitely a break cycle, and you need to be able to let go and unwind. As long as you're doing everything in moderation, why not?

oops didnt mean to freak ya farmgirl!! I want your in laws with the vineyard!! How cool would that be, I like my vino!! LOL. I was just courious as to what everyone is told to do and what they do. I have been so much more lax over this cycle (probably because of the time of year too) and EPU isnt until 24th Jan so drinking over xmas will have a minimal effect if any at all, I am not worried and dont feel guilty. I was just thinking maybe I should be more strict like I was last time but I do feel so much more relaxed and chilled out about this time which is a great thing, I am pretty healthy and so is DH. We dont go overboard on anything.
    happymel - it looks like relaxing a little worked for you! Congrats on the twins!
    Dusty - I hope you did enjoy that Sav blanc! You deserve a treat. I feel pretty good, fairly chilled about it all.
    Futuremum - I have been meaning to tell you, i love that, wonky sperm but gorgeous, it makes me giggle! I am not sure about the temp after ET but you may not feel like walking then as you may still be a little tender, I think it is advised to take it easy, but your FS will instruct you, well done on the walking though that is awesome.

A vineyard is cool - except for the hard labour involved...good luck with the 'lax' cycle, and who knows maybe it is just what you need!

Hi girls

Well I am currently 35 weeks pregnant, 1st IVF cycle after 3 ovulation inductions and 3 chlomid goes. I was not advised on anything, but I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, fresh produce, lots of good quality meat and as natural as possible?..I still had my glass of wine when I felt like it (not a big drinker) and ate my naughty snacks here and there?..still had coffee, 2 cups a day?.the real stuff though not instant as that has a few chemicals from the dry freezing. I went running everyday sometimes 19 km, did weight training, basically went on as normal?.saying that, I lived a very healthy lifestyle, so if you need to make a change, change the aspects that are unhealthy, like not exercising, eating out, drinking more than 2 glasses of wine per week etc?..
    You must go on with life otherwise it will all get to you, hope it all work out for you hun.

ltl panda i cant believe that you are 35 weeks!! OMG how time has FLOWN!!!!! That is so cool and very exciting for you. I have 1 coffee a day and have done for 2 years now and have the odd glass of wine. I eat fairly well Low Gi and organic where I can we are very limited here! I exercise swim 2ks a few times a week and walk and yoga and weights but not running 19ks! you must be crazy LOL! I feel happy with that like you say you have to live your life and that is a big resolution for me this year to have more fun!
    good Luck in the next 5 weeks LP!!!