Thread: Dye through Fallopian tubes

Default Dye through Fallopian tubes

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had the test where the fallopian tubes are filled with dye to check to see if they are working. I had ENORMOUS pain on the left side, like a blockage that burst. The midwife suggested that the tube may have been blocked by mucus and the doctor agreed that this may have been the case as both tubes were flowing normally now.

My question is, does this mean that the mucus is gone forever, or will it come back??

(Unfortunately my next appt with the gynae is not for another two weeks, and I didn't think to ask the question until much later after the appointment...)

Regards

Gargy

HI Gargy

I had a HSG a little while ago. I didn't have any blockages...but I have heard that one of the "positive side effects" of the HSG is that it can potentially move blockages...

I'm not sure whether they return or not though...so I can't answer your question. Sorry chickie!

Could you ring the doctor who did the procedure and ask? Alternatively, ring your gynae and ask (or leave the question as a message)...

All the very best.

Thanks Monnie. I'll bite the bullet and ring up.

Hi Gargy,
    I've had two of these procedures over a ten year period. My first one in 1996 was great but had ovarian cysts and they were removed wheras this time my tubes were quite blocked with mucus and i had a tubal flush at the same time. So from my personal experience yes over a long period of time you can get blockages again. but they can get fixed.
    hth
    Pauline

Hi Gargy
    I, too, had the dye (called a hysterosalpinogram, spelling could be off, or HSG) done on the 22nd Dec. One tube flowed really fast and spewed out the end while the other one seemed stuck. They kept forcing the dye through and eventually it did. The pain while they were doing it was immense but I kept focused on the end result, being to get my body working to make babies. I get my results of my HSG on 23rd Jan, but am pretty certain that the dye did remove a blockage. I would imagine that they can reoccur because the dye is only a temporary measure. It's purely to see how your tubes are, removing blockages is a side effect. I've also been told that falling pregnant can also occur more easily after a HSG because the dye cleans everything out.
    Good luck.

Hi Katie,

I've taken the attitude that I've done all I can at this stage with my own body - well, except for losing weight, which will be the project for the next 6 - 12 months until the donor sperm is ready. (wish me luck - hopefully it's not just a January promise!!) I've also started taking Metformin again after the gynaecologist said it was better for me to be on it. I've decided I will wait until the time is up to check the tubes again.

Hope everything goes well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie G View Post
    I've also been told that falling pregnant can also occur more easily after a HSG because the dye cleans everything out.
    I was also told this when I had my HSG - that there is a small window of opportunity after the HSG when you're more likely to fall pregnant, simply because your tubes are hopefully more open/clear.

Hi Gargy
    The very best of luck to you. I have an appt with my FS in two weeks to find out my results of a HSG and my day 21 blood test. Hopefully, will then start on Clomid to increase ovulation. It's so hard knowing that you are ready but having your body tell you what it wants to do (or not do). I've actually had 'feelings' that I may be pregnant now. Different 'feelings' than the other times that I thought I was only to discover that I wasn't. Did a HPK which was negative and had a blood test last night which was also negative. If I was pregnant, than I would only be about 2.5 weeks along so more than likely I'm just testing too early. Will have to hold in my patience until after my period is late. I'm so trying to not get my hopes up but it's so hard. After my sister (a midwife who was working last night) phoned me after the blood test to tell me that it was a negative I thought I would have been fine. But I cried myself to sleep last night. Sounds stupid I know, but everytime I get a BFN or even my AF I get so down. I feel flawed and I'm over people that don't understand telling me that 'you're still young' and 'it'll happen'.
    Even my FS at one point told me those exact lines and was quite taken aback when I gave her a bit of a mouthful (nicely of course). If I wasn't serious, I wouldn't be doing everything in my power to get pregnant NOW. Sorry about the venting.

Anyway, best of luck to us both Gargy and I'm concentrating on my rose and smokey quartz bracelet of the both of us. And everyone else out there in BB land that is TTC.

Hi Katie,

The most annoying factor about the HSG was stumbling across this information while talking to a collegue at work about her first IUI and subsequently asking my gynaecologist a lot of questions. I was really surprised no-one mentioned anything at the IVF clinic. Could this have stopped the IUI procedure from working - who knows?

Now I'm in the never never world of waiting. I had a read of some information from the Donor support group and found out that it's not just our clinic that has run out of donors - it's a phenomenon around Australia. We are so lucky that a friend has offered to help out, but the waiting is driving me nuts!! This time last year I was getting ready for our first IUI, and going 100 miles an hour. Now it is dead calm.

I feel for you about the pregnancy feelings. I seriously thought that I was pregnant and miscarried in 1995 - but I have no medical proof that this happened. I also felt my body change after the sperm was implanted last year - but I've read somewhere that this can be a reaction to the drugs that you take. I was heartbroken when I got my AF - I had it in my head that we had gone through so many emotional highjumps that I would fall pregnant easily. How wrong I was...

I just think now that I was trying to get pregnant in my time, and not at the right time for me. I've learned a lot about letting things happen rather than pushing - but it's a hard lesson.

Fingers crossed for you that everything goes well. And I don't mind venting - where else are you going to find people that understand what you're going through?

Have a great day - all the best for 2 weeks time...

Thanks Gargy
    It helps to know that there is this site where women understand the frustration of TTC and who don't mind listening (reading) a good rant now and again.

Best of luck to both of us and here's hoping for a baby filled future.