Thread: Egg Pick up and transfer

Question Egg Pick up and transfer

I have been looking through posts to try and find out how others have felt after egg pick up. I cant seem to find anything...have been reading the booklet the clinic gave me but it does not include experiences, feelings etc. Im beginning to feel relieved that the process is nearly over...but am still very anxious. My big day is this friday...then transfer on monday. What happens during transfer? Can i drive myself? Go to work?

Hi Mez
    During egg pick up, you are actually knocked out, so you will need to have recovery time, and get someone to drive you there and home. I felt a little sore afterwards, just a little cramping, but I didnt take any pain relief, so for me it was ok. Emotionally I was fine too. They wrote the amount of eggs recovered on my hand after the procedure, and I was in shock reading 17!! But really excited too! I felt a little anxious too about the whole thing. But we are only human!!
    I personally would have a week off after, only because I just wanted to rest before and after the transfer. I didnt want the added stress at work, and felt like it was my time to look after me. I also recommend drinking LOTS of water afterwards. I drank 2 ltrs plus a day. This helps to prevent Over stimulation Syndrome. Not sure if you have any info on that? They should have given you pamplets about it, if not, ask them what it is and how it can be prevented etc. Very rare though so dont worry.
    Good luck to you for everything, I hope it goes well for you, I am sure it will. You will be fine, take care xx

Mez, good luck for Friday!

Transfer is very easy and there is no anaesthetic. You just have the fertilised eggs inserted then you get up and walk out ... painless! It's just like having a pap smear really.

The only advice I would offer you on an emotional front is not to walk out of there thinking you are pregnant. I know it is hard because all you can think of is those embryos and whether they are implanting or not. The two weeks will pass eventually and you will know one way or the other but try to take it easy during that time and do a few things you enjoy to take your mind off it.

Again ... very very best of luck.

Mel

Mez
    Egg Pickup the first time round can make you feel pretty uncomfy - especially if you have lots and lots of follies - because each one has to be drained - and your poor ovaries get stabbed for each one. So things can feel a bit uncomfy especially if you have PCOS and say 40 or so follies.

You are usually advised to stay pretty quiet and I never felt up to much after the anaesthetic. But if you've had a laproscopy/hysteroscopy - its nowhere near as bad as that. Hoping you don't have to ever do another stim cycle but if you do - the egg pick up is much easier second time round because your ovaries get de-sensitised.

Embryo transfer is really easy just like Mel says. No harder than a Pap smear. And don't worry about them falling out. APparently it is like putting a grain of salt between two buttered slices of bread. There is NO way anything is going to fall out. You can drive yourself and go to work. I always wimped on that though because emotionally I was finding it pretty tough and couldn't really concentrate.

Best of luck!

Kar

Thanks so much for the information. Its great to know what will be happening. I did the trigger last night and thought it was rather nasty!! So glad it was the final injection...next thing for me it the gel and all its lovely side effects. Getting nervous about tommorow... thanks for the kind wishes.

Oh yeah the trigger is a b!tch - hurts the most of all the injections. But at least its the last one!

Hope all goes well with your pickup and transfer. I always found myself to be pretty sore after pickup, but like Kar said it tends to be more painful if you have lotsa follies - and Ive never had less than 40.

Are you going through SIVF?

All crossed for you and great results!

Cool Glad thats over

Back from the hospital, boy was that an experience for someone who has never been under anesthetic. I was pretty scared but they were all so nice and probably thinking...whats wrong with her? 10 eggs retrieved and very very sore. Almost fainted when i went to the loo..thinking if i go it might make me feel better. Will hear from the scientist tommorow...see how my eggies are going. The unfortunate thing is that we are changing internet providers this weekend. .. dont know when the other one is due to start... hopefully monday!! Thanks again oh and im going through next generation. I will be that they

great number of eggs Mez. Fingerscrossed for you!

skyelar Guest

Hi Mez, I have my fingers crossed for you also. I went with Next Gen & loved tham all to bits. Glad to hear your EPU went well, 10 is unreal! I got 5 & 3 fertilised.
    Good luck hon I will be checking up to see how you go!

Good on you, the worst part of it all is over!! Good Luck with embryos, and transfer.

Fertilise and divide little ones!