Thread: Embryo Fragmentation - Any Answers?

joanne2110 Guest

Default Embryo Fragmentation - Any Answers?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this board and was just wondering if anyone could shed some light onto why embryos fragment.

Our first ICSI/PGD cycle was fairly straightforward, 300 puregon, 10 eggs collected, 5 embryos suitable for PGD which gave us only one embryo suitable for transfer = BFN.

Our second cycle was slightly different in that puregon was boosted to 600, 20 eggs collected, (I had mild OHSS) 15 embryos resulted but all of them started to fragment on day two (PGD was not recommended). 3 embryos transferred but still a BFN.

I personally think that it must have something to do with the number of eggs collected as we didnt have a fragmentation issue on the first cycle. My RE said that my eggs were fair to good on both cycles. It just doesn't make sense for all of the embryos to fragment if the eggs and sperm quality are OK. My RE says its a chromosomal issue but surely this would have appeared in our first cycle. He also says that he will keep me on the 600 puregon next time but change me from cetrotide to synarel.

Has anyone else had a cycle similar to this?

Thank you for listening to my rantings!

Best wishes to you all,
    Jo
    xxx
    Oh yes, our dx is MF & POC.

Hi Jo
    I did PGD in Feb 2003 with SIVF and my cycle produced about the same as your first cycle. As far as defragmention - I'm not sure, you probably should have a detailed conversation with the embriologist. Egg and sperm quality which are graded by "looking" is obviously subjective. My RE has suggested that our next IVF, which will be fresh, should include human growth hormone in the follicular phase to try and improve egg quality!!
    Best of luck and welcome.