Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EPU/OPU

Default EPU/OPU

If you've read my story in the monthly thread, then you'd know I'm about to join the IVF gang.

Well, having done IUIs I can imagine what the transfers are like but keep thinking about the egg pick up.

Please tell the good, bad & ugly (I want them all) about your experiences to give me a bit of insight.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

*Tam*

They do things differently from clinic to clinic, but at Concept, they knock you out completely. They sit me down when I get there and give me detailed instructions on what I need to do over the next few days (like when to call, what I can and can't do, when to take my antibiotics/pessaries etc) They then wheel me into the theatre, put my legs in stirrups, I feel the needle in the back of my hand, and the next thing I know, I'm in the day surgery ward with DH next to me.

They usually would have told him how many eggs they retrieved and when I've had something to eat and feel steady on my feet, they send me home to rest.

I'm sore in the nether regions and belly for a few days after, the evening of the EPU being the worst, and getting better every day after (bit like a lap) By the transfer, you usually feel pretty much back to normal!

love
    sushee

Tam,

I had mine at SIVF, and well, there you just get a bit of local anaesthetic injected into the side of your vagina and a bit of fentanyl, which makes you feel like you have had a few wines!!

The local stings a bit, but only the initial bit, and then you don't feel it.

The actual pick up you can watch on the U/S screen as they suck the fluid out of each follicle, and on the whole during the procedure I felt pressure and every now and then a sharp stabbing pain like if you stuck a needle in your finger.

After the procedure I was also sore in my nether regions as Sush put it, for about 2-3 days and that was about it.

A bit of spotting for a day after the procedure.

It is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but not the worst either.

I hope I have not put you off, but I was trying to be as honest as possible.

You will be fine, promise.

Sal Guest

Oh, Gab, so it's Fentanyl that is put in the back of the hand? Can I ask your opinion - do you think it might not work for everyone? My experience was that it made me feel unpleasantly light-headed, but otherwise I felt the needle stabbing into the ovaries very acutely. On the SIVF website there is a story posted by a woman about the whole cycle (lucky her, she fell pg first go) and she said that the drugs made her not worry and forget about the pain. I didn't find it that way. I have to say, I don't drink alcohol at all (don't like the taste) and don't like the way alcohol makes me feel. Is it just me?!?!

Hey Sleebs, welcome back!!

Yep it is Fentanyl that they put up for us....

Nope it does not work for everybody, least of all because the dose required also varies immensely from person to person.

I think they had to give me the whole syringe full, starting off with 3mls and then one and one again... and there I think that I have a reasonably high pain tolerance....

I too felt like I was gonna be sick when they gave it to me, and unlike the lady on the web it did NOT make me forget the worry and anxiety. Plus I hate the 'drunk' feeling and that is exactly what I felt.....

The very first initial feeling was pretty nice though......

My hubby just wanted to know where was his!! LOL!!

Gee,

I'm starting to feel lucky that they knocked me out each time... I quite look forward to EPUs because I doze off and next thing I know I'm in a pink room with birds singing outside the window. Not a bad way to wake up...

love
    sushee

LOL Sush!!!

Besides feeling like an absolute freak with my legs up in stirrups and 2 or 3 scientists/nurses in the room as well as my gyno chatting to me between my legs (hows work? nice weather....etc etc) whilst waiting for the anaesthetic to kick in, it wasn't much worse than a looong pap smear. I found it interesting to watch the eggs being sucked up and this distracted me from the uncomfortable feeling. Whenever I winced my Dr upped the drugs but I never really felt out of it - I could have gone home straight away. Plus my DH felt really sorry for me after seeing the massive needle he used and I was treated like a queen for a week after. You betcha I milked too!. But looking back I laugh at the pain - after all I gave birth to one of those little eggs 9.5 months later and bloody hell - now we're talking about pain!!!!

Well put Humphrey LOL!

Have to admit though, since it's been nearly 11 years since I last experienced labour pains, I have developed into a bit of a wuss since then....

love
    sushee

At MIVF, Freemasons, it depends oin the anaethetist as to whether you stay away or not. For my first OPU, I was conscious right through and didn't experience much pain, other than a bit of uncomfortablness (??) when the needle went inot each follicle - more of a jabbing feeling that actual pain.

For my second, I started awake, but I felt the pain more acutely and I must have moved, so they knocked me out.

For my third, they just knocked me out straight away.

I had a different anaethetist for each OPU. DH was allowed into the surgery every time (even when I was knocked out from the word go) and was a great source of information when i came to!!

But I know in other hosptials that DH is not allowed into the surgery at all. Try to ge them to allow DH to go in with you. I think it is better than them waiting outside (unless of course, they are squeemish!!)

Hayseed

I'm also with MIVF and I was completely knocked out. DH was allowed to come in with me and before I knew it I woke up in recovery thinking I was just about to go in! Had a cup of tea and a sandwich and then went home and watched DVDs all afternoon. I had no pain whatsoever afterwards. Looking forward to doing it all again this month :roll:

Hi Guys,

Very timely thread for me. Since the appointment on Tuesday with the nurse, I am now feeling a bit anxious about the OPU. Mainly because she said I'll be conscious but I won't remember anything. I'm a bit confused. I don't know whether this means that I will know what's going on at the time or not. Am I going to be talking **** from my subconscious or what? Maybe I'll be better off being knocked out.

If this Fentanyl is what was given to me before the lap, it might explain why I don't remember anything about the tube being put down my throat or any of the other things. I have no memory of anything after "I'm just going to put this into your hand to relax you".

Gab ... you're the expert. Does that sound like Fentanyl?

Tam - how are you?

Sal Guest

Mel - I wish that I had been conscious but remembered nothing of the EC!! If the drug for your lap was fentanyl then you're going to be pleasantly surprised for your EC as you'll be out of it!

At SIVF you can have the option of a general anaesthetic but it costs more and isn't the norm. I think I'm going to ask my doc NOT to use fentanyl for my next EC...it really didn't do anthing for me...not sure if I'd want to be out fully, either.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

OMG this has scared the wits out of me I am going to have to try and sleep on this now (Now 12.30am) . AS if I haven't lost enoguh sleep in last few days. But my DR at IVF said they give you sedation to relax you - nothing about general and or even local. :smt022

I now have questions to take to my nurse app. - so I am glad I read this post I HOPE !

But nothing compares to emotional pain I wallow in so I guess whatever you girls can do I can too ! Please don't let it hurt too much.
    What else should you not tell me ?

It has been quiet in here over w/end I was away last night (SAT) camping (in campervan =D> ) at Lithgow and so damn cold it was how was everyone elses w/ends ?

Trish, I know what you mean. I can't believe I'm all het up over a sedative. I think it's a case for me of the brain needing something else to worry about in the absence of anything else.

Hope your camping trip was nice although Lithgow would be bloody cold this time of year!!

Sleeb - Thanks for the heads up. I really think it WAS Fentanyl which was given to me before the lap. The anaesthetist was saying that I might feel the tube going down my throat but I don't remember a thing! Sounds like my EPU is going to be equally oblivious.

Mel it was cold but campfire was cosy - only back cold.
    At night the bonus was the stars looked so close you could reach up and touch them.
    I am going to be asking lots of questions I think -
    lets start a thread :smt102 - questions to ask our nurse or (NOT)
    if it is not too scary :-s
    :smt018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast