Thread: HBA coverage for IVF?

Default HBA coverage for IVF?

I know I have asked before but I can't remember who it was that said they were with HBA??

I have been to HBA and asked several times and they keep telling me that they don't cover for IVF.

But someone on here told me that they were with HBA and they were getting IVF cover so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what cover you are on so that I can go back to HBA again.

Please PM me if you don't want to post too much personal detail on here.

I have been with HBA for many years and if I transfer companies then I can't claim anyway for 12mths so if I can indeed be covered then I want to use my cover!!

Thanks so much for any help!

Hi Lucia,
    I'm with HBA, I have hospital cover with excess bonus and basic extras. With this level of cover, I did not have to pay any of the hospital costs when I had my OPU at the freemasons in Melb, nor did I pay excess as I had bonus points/$$ to use. I think for the next one if it is this year I will have to pay a $300 excess, capped at $500 for the year. This level of cover does not provide any cover for prescriptions or out-of-hospital services for IVF, but I'm finding that with the medicare safety net, we are not doing too bad.

I did consider upping my extras to cover prescriptions but figured that with the extra cost and the waiting period, that I was better to pay it myself - the main extra cost has been the lucrin at over $100 a pop!

Before I did my OPU, the nurse wrote the 'number' of what I was having down - this is the number that medicare uses to id the procedure, and then I rang HBA and checked that I was covered using that number...and I was.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I am with Manchester Unity and will be looking to change so as they are changing their policy.

But I have to mention that my lucrin cost over $200.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I heard that Manchester was changing as I was thinking about using them too but not anymore.

It seems that IVF is something health funds are not keen on covering. I am not sure what to do at the moment about HBA. I will though my bills but I am pretty sure I was out of pocket for the hospital fee for my pick-up too but I could be wrong. I have top cover with them too .