Thread: Help - cycle gone haywire!

Default Help - cycle gone haywire!

Hi everyone - I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with some advice or info.

In Nov / Dec I started my first IVF cycle, but it was cancelled on 3rd December due to poor response to stims. AF arrived a few days after I stopped stims and Synarel, and it pretty much arrived as if it was a normal cycle (ie a normal 30 day cycle). Around that time I also started acupuncture in an attempt to improve my eggs for the next cycle. The acupuncturist also gave me some homeopathic remedies to assist (zinc and something to boost the endocrine system). I have also been taking Elevit for the past 3 months.

Anyway, on the 31st December I had my first appointment with my clinic for the next cycle, on Day 22 of my cycle. They did a blood test which indicated that I hadn't yet ovulated. They made another appointment for the 10th of January for another blood test to see if I've ovulated. But my period arrived yesterday, on Day 26, which is the shortest cycle I've had in years and years.

I'm stumped as to what's going on. Does that mean I didn't ovulate last cycle? Is it just my body being confused because of the drugs from the last cycle? I'm a bit confused. Should I still go to my appointment on the 10th, or do I have to wait until Day 22 of this cycle to start all over again? This is doing my head in!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
    Vicki
    x

I'm so sorry IVF didn't work for you the first time. I'm kinda in the same boat, although my cycle is being a right royal *****. I'm onto day 48 with no end in sight for this cycle.
    I'm sorry I can't help much, you should talk to a DR or FS and see if they can find out what's wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't help that much

Hi Vicki,
    Sorry your 1st attempt was a bummer - IVF is full of surprises and the biggest one i have learnt over the years is to never expect anything (im not being negative i want you to be positive) however IVF can throw you some curve balls sometimes. One other thing, they do suggest with IVF that you do not take anything unless they tell you too, some herbal or alternative medicines can interfere with the IVF stuff so maybe check with your doctor on what other things you are taking. Good luck next time sweetie.

Thanks Liz and Lissie - I appreciate your comments! Who knows what has happened with my cycle (?!), but I rang the clinic today to let them know about AF coming early, and they still want me to go for my next appointment (BT) on Thursday, so we'll go from there. I suspect I will have to wait till Day 22 to start all over again (which is 25 January), but it will be interesting to see what's happening with my hormones.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond *hug*

Vicki

vicki firstly big hug i am sorry thing are not turning out the way you had hoped (yet!). our bodies do funny things when we are under stress. i too had a very short cycle right when i was supposed to start my very first IVF cycle. i went for my day 22 BT to check i had ovulated and to start the down reg and they rang back to say i was about to get my AF (which i did later that day). i couldn't understand it as i had NEVER had a 22 day cycle before (normally 29-31) and i wasn't even on any drugs/herbs or anything. so we had to wait another month after we had already delayed it a month. it just meant i was a bit more wary the next month and had more regular BTs (ie CD14) to ensure i got the timing right.
    i am not sure if this will help but when this happened i just said to myself this was meant to be and then i started the next month with a little less expectation and was more relaxed and things went more to plan.
    hun i hope things work out better next month. xx

Thanks Dusty - I agree that having more realistic expectations helps in dealing with the highs and lows of the IVF rollercoaster! After the disappointment of the cancelled cycle, I think I'm much more fatalistic about the whole thing. DH keeps telling me to "be positive" and I tell him I'd rather "be realistic"!

Vicki