Thread: High anxiety during ovarian stimulation. Has anyone experienced this?

Default High anxiety during ovarian stimulation. Has anyone experienced this?

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone experienced anxiety while taking puregon? I'm doing IUI and am on 50 units, and have only had 4 doses.

I am feeling really, really anxious today. I called my clinic and the nurse said that the puregon wouldn't cause the anxiety, but rising oestrogen levels could.

I would feel reassured if I'm not the only person to have experienced this. It's really very unsettling, I'm super anxious and really jittery, can't focus and feeling a bit dazed.

Thanks guys
    xxxx

from memory, BW did - really really badly!

ME! Every single time!

With my PCOS I don't ovulate unless medicated. When ovulation is induced as my estrogen levels rise I become anxious in a big way. It's bad enough with the one or two eggs that way... During stim cycles where I've produced anywhere between 20 and 32 eggs at a time it is... I'm not sure what the word is, but it's BAD. The 32 egg cycle - put me in hospital for a week and off work for a month due to OHSS, but I'd had to stop working about a week before EPU as the anxiety just got so bad.

My FS said it's definitely caused by the hormones - if I had a natural cycle it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as noticable as I'd have come to adjust to it.

I feel so much better now that I've found someone else that gets it!

BW

Thank you so much for replying so quickly girls! It's just awful. I don't remember getting it last time, but maybe my body is overreacting given that my cycles have been suppressed by BF since DS was born, and I'm on my first cycle since AF came back and now they're stimulating me. It's more oestrogen by a long shot than my body has seen in a year and a half.

Geez BW, I can only imagine what you mean by BAD, because this is pretty high anxiety and it's pretty low dose stimulation. It makes me feel better to to know I'm not the only one too. It also makes me feel better knowing it's just the hormones.

Do you have issues with anxiety anyway? I think perhaps I remember you saying that you do. I have for a long time. But this feels a bit different - I'm not anxious about anything in particular, just feeling overwhelming anxiety. Should take DS out for a walk to do something with the nervous energy.

xxxx

HB - i was only on the support side with BW (i'm pretty sure mine got worse too, but i was just in a generally bad state all the time, i was using managing techniques without being fully aware) - her general anxiety levels were crazy. i can't remember specific "issues" just that she was edgy about everything kwim?

BG - I think maybe I wouldn't necessarily have noticed last time either - I was also in a pretty desperate state, so it's possible I was anxious from the oestrogen then too, but it blended into the general anxiety and depression I was experiencing after my miscarriage and then infertility.

i think that is probably what happened for us - to be honest, i probably blamed the process and the unknown, as opposed to the hormonal changes.

good luck with your next IUI hun!

I do have pre-existing problems with anxiety. I also had some pretty horrendous work stuff coincide with certain key points in cycles.

As BG said I was just generally edgy about everything. Minor problems became major catastrophes in my head. I couldn't think through things to problem solve anything.

My personal theory on why clomid didn't work to make me ovulate is because the anxiety with the estrogen surge and coinciding with serious work issues put me under too much stress for the egg to be able to be released. Can't prove it, but it's what I believe.

BW

Thanks BG! Fingers crossed. No reason for it not to work, but not really expecting to get so lucky. Trying not to invest anything in it.

BW - those were pretty cruddy times eh. I remember well all you and BG went through. Thanks for the reassurance hun.

xxxx