Thread: High FSH levels

Sherm Guest

Default High FSH levels

Hi everyone, we are finally after trying for over a year (fell pregnant naturally but miscarried) going for IVF at SIVF. I was sent to have all my tests and the Dr rang me late on Friday to let me know that although my ultasound showed that I had 10 follicles (which he said was good) my FSH levels were high - 15. Understand 10 and below are normal. He said my FSH levels considerably lowers my chances of a successful IVF however, the fact that I had 10 follicles was a good sign and bettered my chances slightly.

Being new to this, I'm not sure what it all means, and he is away next week. I feel gutted as we had pinned our hopes on IVF and to be told that our chances were lower was devastating news for us. Does anyone know what it means and why high FSH levels aren't good, and is there anyone out there who has fallen pregnant (naturally or IVF)despite having high FSH levels.

Any information/advise would be great.

Thanks

Sherm

Im just wondering how many days you have been stimulating for. Also wondering what dose of FSH (probably either Gonal F or Puregon) you are on? Also another question is what is your age? As you get older it is more normal for you to have a higher FSH level.

I found the following on a website (and several others said the same thing), and thought it may help - it may not be the answer you are looking for though...
    A moderately elevated FSH level of 15, aparently will not exclude a pregnancy. It just predicts the response to ovarian stimulation medications. ....Day 3 follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels are also critically important in evaluating your potential for successful conception in an assisted reproductive technology program. Day 3 FSH levels have been shown to be an incredibly accurate predictor of IVF success, independent of age. Essentially, an elevated Day 3 FSH value indicates a very poor prognosis for conception through IVF, and a high risk of pregnancy loss should the rare conception occur. Unfortunately, if you ever exhibit an elevated FSH value, having a normal value at a later time does not favorably change this prognosis. Every IVF program establishes a "threshold" FSH value unique to their laboratory, above which pregnancies are very rarely conceived despite great effort and repeated IVF attempts. At ___, we have determined that an FSH value of 15 or higher predicts that IVF will be of no value in helping to achieve pregnancy. FSH values over 14.5 have produced only rare pregnancies in our program. Prior to initiation of any IVF cycle, Day 3 FSH values are evaluated. Many factors can artificially depress FSH values, but only diminished ovarian fertility reserve can cause an elevated FSH level. Ovum donation is generally recommended as the most potentially successful treatment option in the setting of elevated FSH levels, especially when associated with age beyond 35.
    Levels of FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) are a good indicator of the state of your egg reserve. FSH is a hormone released by the pituitary gland to ripen and mature the egg. Levels tend to fluctuate on a monthly basis as perimenopause approaches, but there’s generally a window of opportunity at some point when your level will be low enough to start an IVF cycle.

High FSH levels mean egg quality is likely to be poor and fragile eggs may not be able to withstand the stress of IVF drugs.

Two things to keep in mind though when interpreting Day 3 FSH levels. The first is that elevated levels give a woman a reduced chance of conceiving, not no chance. Some women with elevated FSH levels may still conceive using their own eggs, albeit at a reduced rate.

The second area worth mentioning is that ovarian reserve screening is good at predicting bad outcomes, but relatively poor at predicting good outcomes. In other words, a normal Day 3 FSH level will not change the age of your ovaries or eggs. A normal test of ovarian reserve means that you have an average chance of conceiving for your age group. A 44 year old with a day 3 FSH of 4.8 mIU/ml has less than half the chance of conceiving that a 32 year old with an FSH of 4.8 mIU/mL has. She in turn has less chance of conceiving than does a 22 year old with an FSH of 4.8 mIU/mL
    Found a couple of suggestions to reduce FSH levels: Acupuncture, Liver detox

Hope that gives you something to work with - and Im hoping like mad that you still get some success...

Sherm Guest

HI Keen, thanks for the post. My elevated levels are without taking any injections or medications..as these are the pre-tests prior to starting the IVF process. So the prognosis doesn't look good.. the FSH levels are 15 and I am 36.

That was very useful to read - not the news I was hoping for but thats the way things are. Do you know where I can get more information? I need to know if I am wasting my time going down the emotional roller coaster path of IVF given the levels.

Thanks again so much.

Sherm

Sal Guest

Hi Sherm, sounds like you need to chat with your FS at SIVF as soon as possible, the FS is the best person to explain why high FSH levels are bad. My understanding of it is that as a woman's ovarian reserve (eggs) diminishes the brain senses this and sends heaps of FSH to the ovaries to kick them into action to retain fertility as long as possible. So it is a sign of the ovaries winding down and heading towards menopause. This is hereditary, some women will be ovulating into their late 40's others have premature menopause (there is a lady on this site who had menopause at age 30, I believe).

But I have also read that one high FSH reading does not necessarily indicate that it's all doom and gloom, it is possible that having that test another cycle may give a different result.

I hope your FS gives you all the info you need, reassures you and outlines your options. Good luck