Thread: How long can you take clomid for??

Default How long can you take clomid for??

My question relates to length of time clomid can be used for. I have heard up to 6 cycles is OK - but, are these 6 ovulatory cycles of 6 cycles total? ie. if you take it for 2-3 cycles before you ovulate (as med increases), can you then take it for 6 more cycles at the successful level/dosage? Sorry if confusing question!

Hi Jacqui - Going by what my FS says, they say 3-4 months of clomid in consecutive months is okay, but then suggest giving you body a rest for a few months before starting up again.

I know, however that there are girls on here who have been going for a lot longer than that. My best advice would be to ask your FS and see what they say....

Good luck...i hope you get your answers soon...

I've wondered that same thing. I'm currently on the 6th consecutive cycle of clomid, but I've only ovulated once during that time. I asked my obs about how long I could take it for and was told that it didn't matter, but I have heard that you should have a break after 6 months! So I don't know what to think!

Yeah..it's a strange one sweetpea....everyone you talk to seems to have a different opinion, so it's hard to distinguish what is right and what is wrong....

If only these sorts of things were universal hey...

I am also about to start my first cycle of clomid. I have read lots of places that if it doesn't work by 6 cycles its probably not going to, and also that you shouldn't take it for more than 6months because of some sort of health risk (can't remember what. LIFE is a health risk, anyway ). Although having said that, I think that the field of medicine is pretty much a hit and miss, stab in the dark type of exercise - so many weird things can happen and no one really knows why - I'd say that's the reason why there's so many different opinions - because no one really knows!!!!

I was on clomid for 18months - No major side effects that I know of....

Kirsty77 Guest

My gyno said 4-5 cycles then give your body a break. But honestly clomid never had a bad affect on my body so I guess I could have taken it longer if I had to.

that's good to know. can't it cause bad headaches?

Kirsty77 Guest

Yeh it can in some people. I got them occasionaly, never really really bad though. I think it was the hormones surging cause I had hot flushes to.

Hi Jacqui,
    I have been thinking of you a lot lately and wondered when I would *see* you again. I see someone has said they were on clomid for 18 months. I was going to concur with the others that generally 6 months is given as a bench mark with clomid. Often then you will move up to pregnyl or similar. However I am not really up with asissted conception. One of the reasons for clomid not being given long term is that you can develop hyperstimulation of the ovaries. This can make the ovaries oversized and some women have a great deal of discomfort from that. I guess if things haven't happened within the 6 months that often women move up to the next level. This hyperstimulation can occur with many fertility drugs. This is why you are closely monitored whilst taking them. Again, each ob has their own preferred course of action usually...
    My girlfriend was on clomid for 3 cycles before she conceived and she didn't ovulate until the second round. For her second pregnancy she was on clomid for 5 months and then moved up to the pregnyl which worked after 2 cycles. She has 2 gorgeous sons and is embarking again on the ttc journey.
    I see you have said you didn't ovulate this cycle. Don't despair. All women even the most rabbit like amongst us have annovulatory cycles. Are you having ultrasound around ovulation to check your follicle size etc?
    You are going to get there Jacqui. Keep believing, I will be watching out for you.
    Big big hugs