Thread: How long is a typical stay for OHSS

Default How long is a typical stay for OHSS

I am going in for EPU on Wed morning, and after receiving the final verdict this afternoon, my E2 levels are quite high - around 14500. Therefore risk of OHSS is also quite high. From what I have read it could take a few days post transfer for symptoms to kick in. So will stock up on Gatorade and keep up the fluids and try to rest as much as possible.
    If I have to go to hospital am wondering who else has experienced this and what the expected length of stay is. I am a bit nervous as DH and I booked flights and accomdation already to Kingscliff for Easter long weekend. A week in hospital would potentially mean kissing my holiday good bye!
    I hope I am worrying for nothing! but I just want to be prepared for the worst!!
    Mon

Mon, as you know, I was in hospital for a week with OHSS. I don't think that's normal, though. Even when I was released from hospital, I still took a few weeks to get back on my feet properly. Was pretty much three weeks all up before complete recovery. First time with OHSS, I stayed out of hospital (madness!), but was again off my feet for three weeks recovering. While it appears normal for me, I'm not entirely convinced that it's normal for normal people who don't have other complicated medical problems making things more difficult than they need to be!

If it were me, I could pretty much guarantee that the holiday wouldn't happen. But I do tend to have fairly extreme responses to things and you might just be ok.

BW

Thanks BW ... I was re reading your journal last night! Cant believe how much you went through! Its crazy!
    I just hope that it doesnt get so bad that I miss out on my holiday! I really need it! So I guess I am going to have to go with the positive thoughts!
    Mon

Hi Mon

Good luck hun, i think it all depends i was out the next day all they can do is pump you full of fluids and painkillers which i could do from home so i wasn't in long at all.

Just so long as you can manage the pain you should be fine. Are you flying or driving to Kingscliff?

Plus i've decided you will be fine and won't need hospital at all

How are you feeling today?

Shan

Hey Mon

I had my EPU three weeks ago (tomorrow). My E2 was 16000, terribly bloated and uncomfortable, hard to walk around, tired very easily. Had 26 eggs, some immature but 18 fertilised.

Just drink all the water you can. I found it much harder after the EPU than before. Without going into details, Hubby took 3 days off to look after me, I needed it, had 5 days off in a row including weekend, back to work 2 days, then another off. In hindsight I wish I had organised 2 weeks off from just before the EPU.

Sorry you may need to forget your holiday, you will need to rest. Remember after pickup you follies continue to be stimulated and fill up with fluid which overflows hence huge bloating. You have to keep drinking the water and rest.

I got back into my jeans last friday, so it took just over two weeks for most of my bloating to settle down.

You clinic should continue to contact you to make sure you are ok, tell them how you are feeling and any symptoms. But most of all this is a time to be kind to yourself and take it easy!

Good luck, hope all goes well!

A friend of mine was in for about 4 days from memory (she's a BB member so she might pop in!).

She was quite ill for a few weeks though so I'd have to agree with the others and say the holiday might be out the window. Hers was quite a bad case of OHSS too, so I guess it just depends.

Hi BB Gals,

Had EPU today and they retrieved 11 eggs. They were mature which I am happy about as the first time they were pretty much mostly all immature.

Anyway I am drinking plenty of water. I am feeling OK. Can feel pain, but it is manageable. In reflection I was more sore after EPU the first time. So I will see how I go and will keep a check of any symptoms.

Clinic also hasnt ruled out transfer and they will check on me in the days to come. Belle, I am assuming you didnt get to transfer?

I am just going to take it easy and if I have to take sick leave early next week before we go away on holidays then I will. Holiday will be relaxing, and we wont be doing anything strenuous, so I will see how I go.

Thanks for all your advice
    Mon
    Last edited by Mon; March 12th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

slyder Guest

Mon, DW had levels of 18000 or thereabouts (I ended up asking recently as we didn't actually know the number) and she was bloated like a hot air balloon. She just pumped 3L of water through a day (no energy drinks or anything like that) and followed all the advice of the clinic and managed to stay out of trouble. It did take some time for her to deflate though.

They keep telling her the only reason she avoided serious OHSS is because she religiously stuck to the water.

Mon, be really, REALLY careful. I found that both times I felt pretty good for the first day or so. It was day 3 that all hell broke loose both times.

Unfortunately, with PCOS, sometimes there's no amount of water, gatorade or high protein diets that will actually head of OHSS at the pass - seems I always get stuck with the short straw, too.

Hope it all works out for you, Mon, would be great if you can get to transfer still!

BW

i'd have to agree with BW - PCOS makes it all a hell of a lot more unpredictable - my ivf stim cycle, not a problem, but two of my three IUI cycles i hyperstimulated - only one lead follie, but heaps of smaller ones - and mild to moderate OHSS both times! and i was drinking 4L minimum of water every day

recovery wise - i couldn't say - but it wasn't over in a few days, that's for sure!

slyder Guest

Re PCOS, quite true, I did mean to mention that but forgot...

firstly congratulation on getting 11 eggs at EPU.

with regards to OHSS it really is so unpredictable and how long each person takes to recover is just as hard to determin.

For me i didnt have much pain until two/ three days after EPU and that was when they discover my ovaries had swollen to over 12cm each. i was bloater for several days and although i took some pain relief found that rest really was the best medicine.

I hope that you are back on your feet ASAP and that you can still get away and continue to rest once you arrive.

Read a good book and continue with the water intake. you should start to feel relief once af arrives.

Pita Pata, Slyder, BG and BW! Thanks for all the advice it has really helped!
    I am taking it really easy today as it is Day 3! So being extra cautious. I think I might have mild OHSS.

Slyder I feel like you DW did! Like a hot air balloon (LOL)! I am pretty bloated, but not as bad as yesterday today! Surprisingly when I weighed myself this morning I'd dropped the kilo I'd put on over the past week. Have been going to the loo heaps due to all the H20 (sorry if TMI), but no nausea or vomiting so I think that is good for now as not unbearably painful and havent had the need for pain killers! Will keep a close check and take it easy today! Have done diddly squat this morning!
    Slyder did your DW do a fresh transfer with those levels! Wow 18000! Hope all is going well with you and DW. I have not been around the LTTC threads for a while - just the journals - so not sure where you are at! I hope you have both had some good progress!

Mon

slyder Guest

Hey Mon,

Nice to see you around again, albeit in other threads!

Yes DW did have a fresh t/f in the end despite the levels. They said she was borderline, but due to the water intake and her not having PCOS, I suppose they felt she was reasonably predictable. They wouldn't allow 2 embryos though, not that that was on the cards at the time.

She was at the stage where I was tying her shoelaces and doing various things for her because she simply couldn't bend over. But after having the EPU in the morning (all 26 eggs and nearly an hour in theatre I think under local anaes.) she was kicking the soccer ball around with me and the dog that afternoon. It was pretty amazing. She was totally fed up with running to the toilet all the time as well. I think you'd both understand very well how you each felt.

As for our current situation specifically (as you asked, I don't want to hijack your thread!) we will be doing another stim in a month or so as our second FET (with two blasties) didn't work. The Doc doesn't seem bothered though, I was suggesting chromo. defects, implantation issues blah blah, but she just reckons that's IVF, and to try again. I htink they are going to put DW on 75IU Puregon to try and lessen the number of follicles next time.

Now that I've noticed you have a journal (Mr Observant), I will head over there for a sticky beak

Hi Slyder, you are definitely not hijacking! Good to hear where you are at! Sorry your FET didnt work out, but I am wishing you both all the best for your next stim cycle! They do learn alot from the first cycle to fine tune and make improvements! All the best of luck!
    Mon

Hey Mon

11 eggs, thats great. Hope your transfer goes well.

No, didn't have mine, wasn't well enough, not long till FET, start medicated cycle early April so transfer will be late April .

Hmm, a holiday sounds great, I thinking about having some time off myself around FET.
    Anyway enjoy your time away!!

Thanks Belle ... GL with your FET! Hoping its a sticky one for you! Take a break if you can! I believe we all deserve it after a full stim cycle and EPU! It really takes its toll both physically and emotionally!
    All the best to you
    Mon

sorry for the late reply

I suffered mild cases of OHSS once and didnt get to tf that cycle

GL with your recovery

And Slyder - GL to you and DW too