Thread: How many embryos did you have transferred?

Sammi Jane Guest

Default How many embryos did you have transferred?

Hi,

I was wondering, of the people who have been through IVF, how many embryos you have transferred?? I'm worried about having twins from having 2 embryos transferred and I wondered what other people have done. Does anyone know if there are statistics on it? Is there a standard number?

I guess I'll find out all of this from IVF but I thought I'd see from you guys - it's such a confusing, daunting process. I am scared about it - I guess that's normal??

Thanks.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Default sorry a bit long

Hi and welcome - we had two transferred - 3 times - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - BFN
    #2 IVF cycle - twins - these were 6 days blasts though. I was older so they didn't talk me out of it.But it is uncommon.

I honestly don't know what the % is but in another group I belong to [16 mums - 20 babies born from Feb 2006 - July] - there were 4 sets of twins born. Plus another mum with identical twins on the way.

2 of ladies who transferred one embryo - had (or having) identical twins -one had ICSI 1 didn't (1 still pg) .

Three others of us had twins from 2 embryos.

I know many clinics refuse to transfer two to younger women because of the risks involved in premature birth.

In my group - three of us with fraternal twins delivered prematurely - one at 24.5 wks recently , another about 33 wks , me at 35wks 4 days via c/s (but due to maternal cholestatis not directly my babies)

The other identical twin mum was 37 wks - booked c/s.
    The other ID twin mum is still pg.

These aren't really statistics but we had 4 sets of twins/16 mums - with one set identical from one embryo (natural miracle). Another mum also had twins but lost one very early about 7wks.

Of the other mums I can't remember who transferred two and who didn't.The IVF clinics were all over Australia, all ages too.So were our reasons for assisted conception - all these factors have to be considered for true stats.

I think it comes down to a personal decision I love my boys and am so blessed with two -because they will be our last and grow up with each other - I doubt we would have tried for #2 IVF baby otherwise.We had no frozen embryos left either.These two were our last 2 emvryos on a fresh cycle.

To be honest - my boys are only 6.5wks so I can't say how hard it is or isn't.It is all I know.Our only other child was adopted at 13 months (now 13yrs). So we missed his tiny baby stage.

I had my mum here until last week too.Plus a very supportive husband.

Though reading my twin books,and Multiple birth literature it is very difficult and stressful the first 12 months and after that I am told it gets easier .

I also know several IVF mums who lost one of both babies due to premature birth.

It is very confusing.I hope you come to a decision that suits you and your husband. Wishing you a world of luck in your baby quest.

Sam,

Trish said it really well. I think a lot of it gets down to your age in the end. If you are over 35 and want more than one child, having two transferred is worth considering. The clinic is likely to give you a list of the pros and cons of both options to help you decide.

I had two transferred myself but I was 37 at the time. In the end only one stuck anyway.

Best of luck.

Mel

Hi Samrus,

Good luck with your decision. It can be so hard to know what to do. I really think you need to go with what your heart tells you to do.

I had 1 transfered on our first attempt as that is all we had.BFN. The next 4 attempts we had 2 transfered each time and I fell pg 3 times, each time with only 1 emby. So for me I know our decision was the right one for me.

Hoping you get that BFP very soon!

Both full stim cycles we have only transferred 1 - doc wouldnt allow 1, but with FETs have transferred 2... no bubs yet though, so dont know which is better/more successful.

I think that if you are happy to have twins and you have plenty of embryo's, then transfer two, because you may well get them...but if you dont want twins or are scared of getting twins then dont transfer two.

I only have 2 embies and although i would love to be pregnant, i dont see that transferring two give me a higher chance, it just means that i'm pinning all my hopes on one of two sticking, or both. Because i would prefer to have one healthy baby,i have decided to transfer one at a time, two chances at a single healthy pregnancy are better than one...hope my logic helps...Good Luck

I had 2 embryos transferred in my first IVF-ICSI cycle, but didn't fall pregnant.

My FS told me that their clinic's IVF success rates for my age (28yrs) are a 40% pregnancy rate, and of those, 25% are twins.

Sammi Jane Guest

Thank you to everyone for your responses, I appreciate it. I think I've got a lot to learn about it all and I'm sure I will in due course.

I think you're right though, daisy, I'll have to do what feels right at the time.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, it's given me food for thought, which is great!

In saying that tho, i ended up having both my embie's transferred today because my doc recommended it because one looked great and the other one was only good, and that my chances of pregnancy would be higher if we transferred both embies...so yeah i agree, you will do what ever feels right at the time!!

Sammi Jane Guest

Good luck TwoMums, I hope at least one of them sticks!!!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Default goodluck two mums

Goodluck and sticky vibes to you Two mums