Thread: How many follicles is normal?

Default How many follicles is normal?

Just wondering how many follicles an ovary is supposed to have. I had an ultrasound yesterday, the lady didn't say much at all. The only thing she said was that i have 16 follicles on my right ovary. I have to wait nearly two weeks to see my doctor so she can explain. I can't wait......again. ttc for 12 months, trying to get to the bottom of it all. If anyone could help, thankyou.

Hi Tasha

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I think ovaries tend to only have 1 dominant follicle if you are ovulating naturally (the size of the dominant follicle will depend on what day of your cycle you are on)? I have a tonne of small follicles or cysts on my ovaries as they are poly-cystic. There are lots of pictures of polycystic ovaries on the internet. Polycystic ovaries seem to be quite a common cause of fertility problems.

If your ovaries are polycystic there are many different things they can do to stimulate them. I'm sorry you are having trouble ttc, it is a hard time. I hope you dr is able to give you some helpful info when you see her.

Take care

Thanks, I have around 90 day cycles so i think my ovaries could be poly-cystic. Just gotta play the waiting game to see someone who can help me.

Default had my ultrasound last week

I have a severe endo and did check up last week.
    I had 11 folicles on left and 24 on right ovary..not sure if it's normal though..

less than 10 on each ovary... or so I have been told at my appts

Im not too sure how many is normal.. but my scan 12 months ago showed 20+ follies on left, 25+ on right.. Now 12 months later I have 40+ on each... Im guessing mine is not looking good..

Tasha

I have PCOS and I have 40-ish on each ovary. Now I am on clomid I get one or two dominant ones each month of 16-23mm on cd16 (only on my right ovary so far). Given your cycle length you may have either polycystic ovaries or PCOS but your FS/GP should be able to tell you. Alternatively, if you want a more definite diagnosis, try a reproductive endocrinolgist.

Hope this helps!

n2l

11-14 antral follicles or above per ovary plus 1 dominate one is considered normal when not on fertility treatment up to 20 on each ovary is still good and usually the younger women will have more my FS said if you have to many antral follicles like 20+ on each ovary it can be a sign of pcos.
    I had 14 follicles on day 4 of my natural cycle and one dominate one when i did an IVF cycle i would have about 25-30 follies and i was told that was really good.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused-Mummy View Post
    Im not too sure how many is normal.. but my scan 12 months ago showed 20+ follies on left, 25+ on right.. Now 12 months later I have 40+ on each... Im guessing mine is not looking good..
    i had a scan done only 2-3weeks ago and have 43 in one and 44 in another...mines not looking too good either not looking forward to what my gyno says on tuesday...finding it kinda hard to deal with the news