Thread: HSG X-ray

Default HSG X-ray

Hi Ladies. Hope everyone is well. Just wondering if anyone has had a HSG which is an xray to see if there is any blockages in your tubes. I have booked in for one next Monday and my Dr siad that it is a little bit painful as they have to insert a catheter into your cervix and then insert some dye so they can see it on the xray. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these. I am glad she has told me it is painful as I would hate to not know but now I am a little bit worried about it

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Kate

it's not painful. It stung a little when they clipped something to my cervix, but it's not an ouchies that hurt kind of pain.

When they did mine, they put a lot of dye in to try to see if they could flush out the blockage, and that was mighty uncomfortable, but not painful per se, and very very rare indeed to be completely blocked, like I was.

Hi Kate,

I haven't had one myself, we've decided go do a full lap instead as I have a few other issues but when we were looking into it I had a good chat to a girlfriend who has had one recently. Her best advice was to make sure you go somewhere that does this procedure frequently! She had a very unpleasant experience after going to a different place to the one her FS referred her to (their equipment wasn't working on the day she needed it done). After complaining to her FS about it (he is also my FS now) he explained that it should always be performed by someone experienced in the procedure because when done by just anyone it can be quite painful/uncomfortable.

I was a bit nervous about it but would much have preferred that to a lap - that's a definate ouch! hehehe.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. Hope you get a great result.

Thanks Sushee and willow. I am feeling a bit better about it this afternoon and thanks for putting my mind at rest. I figure when I do eventualy give birth it is going to hurt a hell of a lot more than this x-ray!!!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Good way to think of it!