Thread: Hysterosalpingogram

kellrobryan Guest

Default Hysterosalpingogram

I went and seen a F/S last week and he wants to run alot more test to see if there is a reason why clomid didnt work for me this time round as it has always worked in the past to help me fall pregnant
    He has sent me off to do alot of bloods and to have a ultra sound to check my Pelvic Organs and also a test called HYSTEROSALPINGOGRAM which he has told me is is a radio-opaque dye via my cervix into the uterus to check if there any blockage in the tubes
    Also wants my partener to go have a semen test which he is not a happy man about this

HYSTEROSALPINGOGRAM
    Has anyone had this test and what was it like (painfull or painless)
    any help work be great
    kell

I've had a similar test. I believe the hysterosalpingogram is done by x-ray, while the one I had was done via ultrasound (hy-co-sy - can't recall the stupidly long name for it!). For me, it was painful as my cervix has an odd kink which makes getting the catheter through to insert the dye difficult. However, I do wonder whether it was just the skill of the doctor - I've never had problems with embryo transfers (there's been five). I ended up taking the day after the scan off work as I was still very crampy, but I'm told this was fairly unusual.

As for your DH and the semen analysis - point out to him just how intrusive all the tests we have to go through are, and that ejaculating into a cup is actually really minor, especially if he can produce the sample at home.

BW

Hi Kell

I also underwent this test mid last year. I was advised by my FS that it may be quite painful and I was advised by both FS and ultrsound clinic to take 2 naprogesic (sp?) capsules 1 hr before the procedure. I didn't have any pain what so ever, and found it to be no more uncomfortable than having a pap smear done.

Hi

I also had the Hystersalpinogram attempted twice. And ended up having a Hy Co Sy instead. I do believe that this was the skill of the person doing the test. I think if you have it done by someone how does it all the time it is much better, and relatively painless.

Hi Kell,

I also had a hy-co-sy which was uncomfortable wen it was being done but I had n pain whatsoever afterwards. I was tld to take two naprogesic before hand which probably helped. I am not sure about the Hystersalpinogram but I imagine it might be similar!

Good luck!

Lily

Hi kell,
    I have had the test that you are having and can i say it was painful. I took 2 pannadol before hand and it didn't help at all.Its only painful because of the pressure and it hung aroung for a few hours. Make sure you wear a pad as the dye comes out afterwards. Hope it goes well for you.

I had a this test done aka HSG last year and it was not painful at all. As Belinda said it was just like a pap smear. They do say though the pain depends on how you are internally. If you have damaged of blocked tubes it will be more painful due to the pressure of the dye trying to get through. My tubes were crystal clear so it went through easily and painlessly. Good luck and i hope all goes well.

As for DP, as BW said, remind him of all the horrible tests we go through and that should make him feel much better about the SA... haha

I had a HSG in June 07. They put a catheter through the cervix, inject the dye and take x-rays to check the tubes. I took two neurofen beforehand and it didn't do a thing. Mine took an hour to get the catheter through (mostly because of my silly cervix and also because the person doing it wasn't experienced) and was quite uncomfortable and painful and I got a lot of cramping during and after for about an hour or two. BUT thats because I have a stupid cervix that likes to stay shut. Definately take a pad.

Hopefully your DH will go and do his bit. By comparison its a small thing to ask compared to what a woman has to endure.

Good luck