Thread: IUI

Smile IUI

Hi
    Can anyone give me advice on IUI. I have unexplained infertility and TTC for 2 yrs with and early miscarriage last xmas.
    I have read the statistics aren't good and wonder if I am wasting time and money and should go straight to IVF. If anyone has any success stories for IUI I would love to hear them. Would love to know if anyone has used canberra IVF or Sydney IVF(in canberra) don't know which one to choose, are the statistics about the success rates reliable because Sydney seems to be very good.
    Thanks

Last edited by jules1; January 22nd, 2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: extra question

Hi Jules,

I have a success story! I have PCOS and conceived on my 4th round of IUI with Clomid and HCG to trigger ovulation, and I'm now (almost) 12 weeks pregnant.

I don't really know much about IUI vs IVF as we didn't look into IVF at all, just started on IUI and was going to take it from there.

Hope you get your BFP soon

I haven't done IUI myself (DH has mutant sperm, we need ICSI - he's been assessed as having none at all that can make it to the egg alone), but I do know that there are many women on BB who have. Some have had success, others have progressed to IVF. I would have no idea on the stats, though - sorry about that!

The thing to remember is that IUI definitely CAN work. If your clinic felt that it wouldn't work at all, that there was no hope, then they would suggest going straight to IVF. It does give you a better chance at conception than through regular intercourse, but not as high as IVF. However, it is less invasive than IVF and for that reason, some people prefer it.

Good luck, and I hope someone else can answer the rest of your questions soon.

BW

Thanks for the advice, am just starting to learn about all this stuff and it really puts your head into a spin. I guess its hard for uneplained infertility as it could be an egg or implantation problem which doesn't show up on all the testing. Good to hear the success story though leasha, it is sure a lot cheaper than IVF too, so will hope for the best.

We did x 4 IUI cycles, we didn't have any sucess and have now moved on to IVF/ICSI but if I had my time over I would still do the IUI.

I think IUI is an excellent way to introduce you to the world of IVF and help you to learn how you are going to incorporate it into your life. It is way less invasive and if you do a cycle with meds it helps you to get used to it all.

Hoep you have sucess

Hi Jules
    i actually fell prg on first run of IUI unfortunately ended in an ectopic (not that i think that had anything to do with FT) my SIL fell prg 2nd time she tried IUI and now has a gorgeous baby boy. Like chook says its a good way to progress and you just never know, stats are ok to know but really you could be the 1 in 20 or the 1 in 80 so i try to take them with a pinch of salt. Hope youve got a little sticky in there ready to go good luck

Hi salt
    That's so exciting, can't wait to see how IUI works for you. Saw my FS yesterday and have decided to go straight to IVF as I'm 36 and will have to wait till july to start. Will be able to make a start on tracking my progesterone levels before though. I would have definitely tried IUI ist if I was your age.
    Good luck.

Hi scooby
    Have decided Am going straight to IVF as I am 36 and have to use my time to the most likely one to succeed. Feels like a long wait till July till I can do it, but I sure have a lot of saving to do anyway so will need that time. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but won't mind if it works.

hi jules,
    i went through Sydney IVF in canberra for 4 IVF cycles but my doctor recently left the clinic so i moved on too and am doing it interstate. the nurses are wonderful and they have pretty good stats. i know of others that have gone through CFC too with varying results. i guess it depends on which clinic your FS is associated with.

best of luck with it all. there is an IVF support group thread for Canberra girls here
    there was chat of a meet up sometime early this year.

Good luck Jules and im sure you feel so much better now youve made the decision. Hope the time flies in til July

Hi Salt
    Hopefully the IUI will work. I'm still trying naturally and it's so awful the wait. You are lucky you are only 32, and now you know what a strong chance you have with IUI, maybe you could ask the clinic about a quarter aspirin a day as studies being done now are showing it seems to increase blood flow to the uterus to help implantation and carrying. Obviously studies take a while to give conclusive evidence. I asked my FS about it and she said they keep on changing their minds on aspirin. She took it for first 12 wks of both her pregnancies, but then it got labelled as causing MC's, and now they have started looking at it's good possibilities again. Hopefully the studies this time give a conclusive answer.