Thread: IVF#1 - Some questions for the experts...

Default IVF#1 - Some questions for the experts...

Hey there ladies,

I've finally started my first IVF cycle and there are a couple of things worrying me:

1 - I'm still spotting very lightly since AF - today is Day 11 and I started stims (Gonal F) on day 6. Yesterday there was even a tiny bit of red... Is this normal? Im on Synarel as well by the way.

2 - My dose of Gonal-f is only 187.5iu - and I don't really feel bloated so do you think its too low, can something actually be happening even though I don't feel anything? I've had the ODD ovary twinge but I expected to feel full and uncomfortable. I was on 112iu during IUI and only got 1 egg, so I'm worried I don't respond.

My follie scan is tomorrow so I guess we'll see then, but do any of you have any experience with this stuff? Is it too late for them to save the cycle if there aren't many follies by tomorrow? Today is day 6 of stims.

Thanks ladies, its such a scary exciting time.

Bokkie - you sound just like me all over!!Yes - things can still be happening even though you may not feel like you are experiencing symptoms like everyone else. In my case I actually felt better the few days before my OPU (when I obviously had many more follicles) than I did mid way, which did my head in too!I was concerned at day 13 of stimming when I only had few and small follicles that they would cancel and start fresh again next time. But they kept at it!I remember still spotting once I had started the injections...can't hurt to give the nurses a call about this one. I don't have the personal experience with that one so I'm not confident to answer, but I'm sure everything is ok.I went on to have 12 eggs collected so don't give up hope. Things can change so quickly!Good luck for your scan, let us know how you get on

Thanks Smudge, I'm probably just paranoid! I just can't wait for the scan to put me out of my misery. Are you going through MIVF or Monash by the way (if you don't mind me asking?) Who's your doctor and what dosage did they start you on? Congrats on the 12 eggs, thats great, I only hope I get even 8! I guess I was expecting them to trigger me soon but like you say, I may still end up stimming for another week. I guess they know what they're doing? Good Luck for your cycle! Hope you see those two lines!

It's ok, I could never wait for the scan either..I ended up having 5 and was stimming for 17 days! (not to say that you will be) You would rather a slow progress than the alternative (OHSS) that is really serious Bokkie. You'll be right, just keep in mind that the earlier that you go to bed the sooner you are up and have arrived at scan day! I'm with MIVF, DrMcSteamy. Ooops I mean McBain. The man is a genius.Easy said but try not set any expectations for anything to do with this stuff! None of it ever goes the way (in my whole experience, once! lol) you think it is going to..try keep occupied and GOOD LUCK!!
    eta: I was on Puregon and started on 100iu and finished on 225iu
    Last edited by Smudge; March 29th, 2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Dosage

Bookie, not sure about your 1st question, but on the 2nd, i am with Smudge...no symptoms doesn't mean its not working. I am currently on my 1st stim cycle of IVF and today is my day 7, I didn't feel anything until today have a slight headache (touch wood)...my result came back fine, all tracking well...so try to stay positive...everyone responses to drug differently..I guess we are just lucky

Oh look, I was worrying like you just a day before (about no symptoms) and keep asking nurse if it is normal. Afterwards, I was secretly laughing at myself...symptoms- panic...no symptoms-panic...well, its just the things we do isn't it?

I am on Puregon 150iu at the moment, next scan is on Saturday (day 9)...let me know how you go with your scan tomorrow and good luck...

Hi girls, thanks for your replies, I do feel like a numbnuts...

Scan went well, I have 9 follies which are still very small - 3 x 9mm, 3 x 8mm, 1 x 7mm, 2 x 6mm - BUT THERE ARE NINE! Yahoo. I know its not a stellar performance, but I'm just so happy to see more than 1. They've upped my dose to 225iu and I have to go back on Monday for another scan.

Yippee.

I'd say that is a very promising result..I didn't have that many at your stage!
    Scan scan scan, they love it don't they?! I understand it is necessary but it makes things hard! Who is your Dr?

Good luck for Monday, let us know!