Thread: IVF - Confusion

baby_love Guest

Question IVF - Confusion

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to this site, have been cruising about for a couple of days now....
    I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you may have the answers to.
    I am on my 2nd cycle of IVF/ICSI - the first one was cancelled as only 1 egg matured out of 16 follicles. We did somehow manage to conceive with that cycle naturally but the pregnancy did not continue. So I'm on CD12 today and 112.5IU of Gonal f and Synarel nasal spray am and pm.
    I had my first blood today which came back at 810. They want me in for another blood and Ultrasound in 2 days time but I thought that my levels should be a lot higher than 810 - I did hear from another lady that they normally don't bother with Ultrasounds until levels are at around 2500-3000?!?!?!
    I'm soooooooo confused and hope that someone could shed some light on this situation.
    Sorry for the long post and all the questions, but I think this site will give me a lot of insight as you all have gone or are going through pretty much the same thing.
    I hope everyone is doing well and can't wait to chat with you all on a regular basis.

Alex

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Hi Alex and welcome to BB!

sometimes you can start off slow and then all of a sudden, your levels start to skyrocket, and that's likely why they want to do a u/s, just to see how many follies are developing and how many look viable to mature. Don't stress too much until you get to your u/s - stress can definitely affect how well you respond!

If you've been lurking then you should feel free to join the monthly thread here to find support with others going through what you're going through. I'm an 8 time IVF person myself and found the support of these wonderful women invaluable. Ask as many questions in there as you like, someone should be able to help!

love
    sushee

baby_love Guest

Hi Sushee,

Thanks so much for your reply. You are right I may be jumping the gun a little bit huh???
    We shall find out what tomorrow brings and go from there.....Do you know if the dose of Gonal f can be increased mid cycle??? Or do I have to wait until my next cycle and start again??
    BTW a Huge Congratulations to you and yours - I believe you have just had your lovely bubba - well done - you give me hope!!!!!!
    Love Alex

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Alex,

Thanks for the congratulations. And yes, hope is never a bad thing! Lol! Sometimes it's all we IVFers have, so hold on to it.

In answer to your qsn, I think they can increase doses halfway through your cycle, but I think it's more likely that if not enough follies have responded, that they may cancel the cycle and start you on a higher dose next time round.

BUT let's not assume you're not responding, k? One cycle, my levels started low but picked up really fast towards the end, so let's hope the u/s brings some good news!

love
    sushee

Hi Alex,

I have had ICSI 4 times. Each time I have had a different amount of does thoughout the cycle. Sometimes it have been increased half way though and other times it has been decreased. To be honest I have never asked what my levels are. I never even thought too! In once cycle alone I had injections of 300, 225 and 150. So they can indeed change the doses if they need to.
    I also believe that each clinic is different. My first ultrasounds were all standard. Regardless of the b/T results I still had the first ultra sound. The blood tests alone cant show how many folicle are growing and that is just as important as you levels.

Wishing you all the best
    XXXXX