Thread: IVF Doco

slyder Guest

Default IVF Doco

Doco on SBS right now (2030, 20th Jan) about the history of IVF.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I set my alarm for it, but I still have an hour before it starts here.

slyder Guest

Yep, should've said eastern time!

damn - missed it!

WAtched it, gee what an adventure to get where we are today with IVF, the hurdles that were jumped, the hundreds of transfers before success. The anti abortion action against IVF etc - but in the end they are right society gets used to ideas really fast once they have the facts and see that normal beautiful children are born with this technology. Interesting stuff. But what those woman in the early days had to go thru to retrieve one egg etc but i guess any of us on IVF would do just about anything to have our dreams fullfilled.

Very interesting doco, made tears come to my eyes to see the group of them on the stairs, all those couples with all those babies, that wouldnt have them with out ivf, such a good thing i say!!!

interesting too to see how it all developed.

Yes I got a bit teary when they showed the photograph on those babies. It is truly amazing the progress that has been made! I'm so grateful.

I felt so lucky, the access, affordability and technology has come such a long way in a relatively short time. It is quite amazing!

I watched this with particular interest because my dad has been telling me for some time that his aunty's husband was involved in the pioneering years of IVF. It had crossed my mind that he had his facts muddled up, but for the most part I believed him. It just seemed a bit, I dunno, unlikely, so I never mentioned it to anyone in case dad was getting dimentia or something

We watched it together, and up pops a picture of his uncle!! It was awesome. And to think that so many years down the track, this mans relatives needed to use the technology he was involved in. And his family were aghast at the time, being very strict catholics and against the idea of this 'new science'.

I will be forever grateful to all those people. Without them I wouldn't have my little man, we wouldn't have our families....its just unreal.