Thread: IVF treatment

kappa1981 Guest

Default IVF treatment

hi my name is carlee my husband and i have been married for 2.5 years and have been trying to conceive since june "04" whilest on clomid and have since had no success. On the 10th of october i have my first IVF appt westmead in Sydney and had to have all the routine blood tests done before commencement of treatment. The treatment they have started me on is self injections of puragon and on friday last week 18th nov 2005 they found a follicle in my left ovary easuring 23.4mm which was a big surprise as i had been told that it is highly unlikely that i would produce a follicle in my first cycle. I had another injection called pregnyl after they found the follicle, it makes you ovulate. Now it's wait and see what happens i think that is the hardest thing the wait and see game. If there is anyone out there who is using IVF as treatment possibly the same treatment as me i would love to hear from you. Cheers Carlee

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hi carlee check out this thread http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=48 you might get more info if you post this in there

Hi Carlee

We used IVF to get pregnant - On the first cycle we got 9 eggs but I none of the folicle was a big as 23.4mm out of the 9 we got 3 fertilised eggs (they did half regular IVF and half ICSI) only 3 of the ICSI fertilised

Unfortunately our first cycle did not take and as we had only 1 frozen we did another full cycle and this time got 7 eggs but there were from larger folicles (but not as big as yours again) this time we 4 fertilised and we had 2 implanted and they took - so I am pregnant wtih twins - hooray

I don't know if it was the bigger folicles that produced better eggs but when we had the embryo implanted they had more cells the second time around so we were confident and of course it worked

I wish you well with your first IVF cycle.

abs Guest

Hi Carlee

We are also graduates of Westmead. Got our 19.5 week scan this Friday

It was the first (ie fresh) transfer from our 2nd stimulation) - none of the 9 fertilised from first took (definite hyperstimulation - 16 collected). We got 11 fertilised from 2nd time around (15 collected)

Westmead are not up for transfers of more than one egg anymore... something about either all take or none... Unless you want twins (as per Kelly) then it gives you more chances

Good luck with your stimulation. The end result is definitely worth the bits and pieces you go through

Also Jen had the self inject puragon, she was very scared of it, but with me being a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years, and inject into my tummy 4+ times a day, she figured she could too - and was pleasantly surprised how easy it became with a little practice

Have you met Dee yet ? (one of the nurses there) Jen had her cracking up with laughter every time we went for appts

*TamaraP* Guest

Welcome to BB!!

kirsty Guest

Hi Carlee & welcome to BB

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to LTTTC
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

kappa1981 Guest

Default IVF treatment

Hi Thanks heaps for all your replies, i am not actually doing IVF at the moment it's called ovulation induction so not quiet IVF as yet. I had my injection of pregnyl last friday and i have been a bit sick over the weekend with the injection (just a side effect). The last day or 2 i have really sore breasts and when i pass urine i get terrible cramps, i have researched pregnyl and whats happening to me is not a side effect therefore i am hoping it's good news . Down at the IVF clinic i see Nadia and Jessie. Thanks guys for your reply i really appreciate it. Carlee

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

welcome and goodluck Carlee -when you said one folicle I thought it wouldn't be IVF - I can't answer your question though.

Congratulations Kelly on your IVF bubbas -I love to hear of successes.

Andrew ?

at WM - I had 2 transferred - now three times they asked me the first time (twice) , FET they asked me to confirm and they didn't blink this time when it was 2 blasts - and I assumed it was because of my age (though I am younger than Jen)

They never told me that -only the risk of multiples was high and potential complications with twins either IVF or naturally concieved.

I did read that somewhere that one embie sends a signal to the other or something but it was still just heresay.

I know Dee - there are so many nice nurses.

abs Guest

Hmm, I thought they were telling everyone that now - ah well. Our last transfer was July 27 (our two yr anniversary) and there were some signs around about it ??

Anyway that last single took for us - she's actually on the phone to a friend she hasn't been able to get hold of for ages... tis fantastic telling good friends the news \/

Andrew
    I saw the signs about risk of multiples but they never mentioned about all or none take - they didn't try too hard to talk me out of two but explained they had fair same success rate with single transfers compared to 2 - but 2 had higher risks if both implanted.

hopefully since I got positive on HPT today and had an early beta today (waiting for results after lunch) - I can know at least one of my blasts took.

good luck with the beta trish sounds very promising
    welcome carlee I also cant answer your questions as I too am going through IVF
    Trish the research I read says there is no difference between take home baby rate with one or two embryos transferred, I am also having two

I guess taking the risk of 2 is worth it for some of us - in USA I read of a lady who transferred back 6 -7 embryos (day 2-3) not blasts of varying cell stages. Same article said only usually do 2 blasts.

Not that twins are bad but higher risk of complications

I am not sure of normal conception stats but read there are plenty more AC twins than natural concieved ones now I think.

In USA it costs so much there they give it all they have.Thank goodness we don't that happen here.

abs Guest

ahh okay

Good luck for the results... do you have them yet ??

Jen's been watching the baby shows on Foxtel for some time now - I know what you mean about multiple implants

Most look like they implant pretty much everything back in and don't freeze any. I remember one episode where there was 8 fertilised, and 4 implanted. None took - the couple said they weren't going back for more.... We're thinking what happened to the other 4 ?? Are they thrown out, frozen or sent for scientific purposes ?? (we've got no idea)

Also the ladies seem to spend the whole stimulation time in hospital - eg 4-6 weeks !!! With daily visits by the doctor etc. No wonder it costs something like $15-25K per cycle (that's in US dollars, so say $25-40K in aussie dollars)

Thanks I got BFP - so another success for WM -
    I didn't know that they stayed in hospital maybe they overstim them on purpose -so they get a bountiful crop and lots of embies - Geez - how uncivilised

I wonder what happens to others too ?

abs Guest

Woohoo - congrats on the BFP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic news

From the stories I've seen, they don't seem overstimulated. Most seem to be going through things just fine during their hospital stay. I reckon it's a money making scam - though some seem to be travelling a fair distance from home to the clinic - not talking 2-3 hours drive, more like 8+hours - there are sooo many small towns in the US, and plenty of state capitals that are much smaller than our larger country towns :-k