Thread: laparoscomy

Default laparoscomy

Helloo
    Just wondered if anyone has or is going to have a laparoscomy? I don't know too much about it, :-k - is it painful, etc?

Thanks!

zxx

is that different to a lapraoscopy ??

Love :smt049

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolady
    is that different to a lapraoscopy ??

I have no idea :-k

I just did a search on your word on the dictionary website to see and they didn't find it but even I spelt it wrong. It is laparoscopy

I have had two of them both to treat endometriosis. It is just day surgery with a general anesthetic, and they make 2 or 3 little holes in your abdomen usually called keyhole surgery. I have a scar just above my pubic line, one under my belly button and one in my side. I had 3 small cuts the first time and 2 the second. The stitches are dissolvable.. It does hurt for a day after but generally after 2 days you are pretty right and back on your feet. I went back to work full time on my feed for 8 hrs a day. 5 days after my surgery inc a weekend. Also they fill your stomach up with a gas to move your other organs out the way and the gas can go up into your shoulder causing discomfort. After my first laparoscopy I said my shoulder hurt more than anything.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

thanks! That's really helpful!

I was a bit worried about being under general anaesthetic, but I guess it's nothing in the great scheme of things! O

Can you still see the scars now?

Hi Gwen.

nope you can hardly notice them at all

Hi,

I had a laparoscopy back in April 2002 (to look for reasons why we were not concieving) It was a simple day procedure. My results were all clear, which was great, in theory, but I did feel (straight after an anesthetic, when I guess you are at quite a physical and emotional low) upset....ie "Well if this laparoscopy has been done, and I am fine, adn all my reproductive organs are in great condition, then why the hell am I not pregnant yet????!!" So do bear that in mind.

Also, some hints and tips.....wear either big knickers that come up over the cut. or little knickers to go under the cut for afterwards......mine were just on the cut and that was a bit sore. Also, bending over was a pain...I had to tie my boot laces up and it killed...so slip on shoes are the go......

I fell pregnant the month after my laparoscopy. I have heard it said that the fact that they have a look round your tubes can sometimes make the fillia (sp?) in the tubes more active, helping to sweep the eggs and the sperm together to fertilise. Don't know if this is true or not, but let's hope so.........

Best of luck,

Melinda Guest

I had a laparoscopy years ago too. It was to remove an ovarian cyst and for endometreosis.

It was day surgery as Kat said and I had 2 small incisions - one at my belly button and one just above the pubic line. My scars have faded a lot too, but I can still see them. I had the shoulder pain too from the gas.

It was the first operation I ever had and I was anxious about it too. I was a bit crook from the anaesthetic, but that's common and they can usually give you something to help with that, and any pain you might have afterwards. It doesn't take long for you to be 'back on your feet' although the area where the incisions is can be a bit sore for a while so chose your clothes wisely - don't wear anything tight etc!!

Thanks Lucy - that is so helpful!

I am hoping [-o< that after the op, that because they flush your tubes, that that might improve chances like yours were too! [-o<

Thanks for all the info!

The other thing is - do you need anyone there when you wake up? Or are you ok to get up and go home straight away?

xx

Thanks tootie!

I hadn't realised that this procedure was so common! I feel loads better about it now, thanks! O

Melinda Guest

No, you can't get up and go home straight away.

You can be pretty groggy and sleepy after a general anaesthetic and personally, it took me a full 2w before I actually felt normal again after it (just my body's reaction to it!). Plus, it can be a common side effect of general anaesthesia to be nauseous or to vomit. You'll be in the hospital for basically the entire day. You may also be given pain relief medication like morphine or pethidine. Trust me, you won't feel like getting up and walking out of the hospital as soon as you wake up, but by the end of the day, you will feel a lot better than when you first woke up, albeit still tired and sore.

So to answer your question, no you can't get up and go home straight away due to the effects of the anaesthetic, and also any other medication that they may give to you, depending on how you are feeling. You will need someone to take you home from the hospital as a result.

Hi Gwen

tootie is right. You need someone to take you home and to spend the first 24 hrs with you after the procedure. I had dye studies done on my second Lap and I was crook after that from the dye. The general anesthetic didn't make me sick though just extremely tired. You will fill like hell when you wake up in recovery.